iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Imdb Message Boards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Imdb Message Boards
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The IMDb message boards will be shut down permanently on February 19th! I don't have any friends over there, but do like that I am able to ask questions to get caught up on a tv show, without someone jumping down my throat. They now want you to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I hate Twitter, never really got into it. The only reason I joined was to talk with Dexter Motley Morgan. I can just see it now- me asking a question on IMDb Facebook page, and 1,000 people jumping to conclusions or telling me "Google It!" Ugh, I guess it is a sign of the times, of technology "advancing" 😢
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m not a member but that sounds awful! It´s the typical adjust or fade away mentality and we non facebook users will just fade away...
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read IMDb's message boards from time to time and noticed the message the other day that they will be finishing from the 19th and must say I'm pretty annoyed by it.

Don't use Facebook myself and like Atomik mentions it is this adjust or do without mentality nowadays,I just hate the way things seem to be headed plus what with physical media shops seemingly dying a death as I see HMV Canada have just announced closure of all there stores (not that I live in Canada [Big Grin] but you can see where this is all headed) and it does sort of seem like nothing but bad news for a lot of movie fans these days!

[ 06. February 2017, 05:33: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noooooo! I loved the message boards over there. Did they say why? There were a lot of great discussions specific to each movie or show. I didn't use it a ton, but had a few favorite movies that I'd check up on from time to time. Such a bummer.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were message boards on the Imdb ?? [Big Grin]

Like most of you know by now, i'm not much of an internet person.. I do check the Imdb every now and then,
but most of the time i still rely on my trusty Videohound Golden Movie Retriever, the old-fashioned way !

-

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Great reference book Johnny I have one but it's quite an old edition - 2000 but then again that's perfect for me because it then covers more my favourite decades 70,80s early 90s.

Might get the 2017 edition at some point as I would imagine it would detail more of what's come after obviously 2000 onwards.

Also

-

The Radio Times Guide To Films is a pretty decent book to refer to when wanting reviews and info,as you can see I have the 2002 edition with slightly beaten up cover so I might also look at getting the latest edition of that so it covers the following decade and a half

-

This is the review layout inside (not a very good photo but lacking any natural light what with these darker evenings) it's pretty thorough with reviews of everything from Gandhi to Leonard Part 6 [Big Grin]

[ 06. February 2017, 09:47: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't need facebook, twitter, google, amazon or any other overrated company out there.
I will be sad if the rewind shut down though

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The website for IMDb will remain. They are just getting rid of the message boards, which I have mostly found to be helpful. A sign of the tiimes, alright. A lot of brick and mortar stores are closing down here in the U.S. too. The malls are dead. It seems like any time I need a specific item, it is nowhere to be found in stores, so I go to Amazon or EBay and find it right away.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, boy I do sometimes miss the old days of waiting for the new versions of the standard movie reference books of the era: Steven H. Scheuer's Movies on TV; Leonard Malton's similar book; Leslie Halliwell's well written, but snotty, guide; and VideoHound. Things were so much different then, and to be honest, the writing about films was a lot better. Sure, today you can find out in seconds anything you want about some obscurity like Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural from 1975, but there was some satisfaction in doing your research with books and journals back in the day.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with the message boards was that there were simply too many to moderate properly, and on most of the boards the ratio of fan to troll was 1:99. The few times I was drawn onto the boards there, I was pretty appalled at the way that it was just a free for all.

However - for the real fans of movies - it will mean that they need to seek out other sources of information. Let's hope some of the true fans come our way, and don't bring the morons with them.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there were too many trolls on IMDB for sure. I still enjoyed a lot of the discussion. Was just on the boards looking at something yesterday and thought to myself, I still can't believe this will be gone. We should quick go over there and post on the most popular 80's movie threads to come on over to fast-rewind.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do, make sure that it's clear these boards ARE moderated. Otherwise we'll just move their problem over here, and I don't have the time or energy to kick another bunch of trolls out of here.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Great reference book Johnny I have one but it's quite an old edition - 2000 but then again that's perfect for me because it then covers more my favourite decades 70,80s early 90s.

What a coincidence.. I use that same one ! [Smile]

I deliberately posted a pic of the most recent version just to let everybody know there's a completely updated edition too.

For those unfamiliar with the Videohound encyclopedia : Besides an A-Z listing of over 24.000 movies, it's endlessly cross-indexed
to make sure you can find whatever it is you are looking for.. even if it's just a vague memory of a movie you've seen many many years ago.
For me it proved to be very helpful on numerous occasions. Very handy indeed !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Like most of you know by now, i'm not much of an internet person.. I do check the Imdb every now and then, but most of the time i still rely on my trusty Videohound Golden Movie Retriever, the old-fashioned way !
Ditto. Like many other people in this thread I have the trusty Videohound guide! I had to order it in the early days of the internet though... my edition dates way back to 1996!

quote:
Yeah, boy I do sometimes miss the old days of waiting for the new versions of the standard movie reference books of the era: Steven H. Scheuer's Movies on TV; Leonard Malton's similar book; Leslie Halliwell's well written, but snotty, guide; and VideoHound. Things were so much different then, and to be honest, the writing about films was a lot better. Sure, today you can find out in seconds anything you want about some obscurity like Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural from 1975, but there was some satisfaction in doing your research with books and journals back in the day.
Neon magazine (the best movie magazine evar!) used to have a section called 'Helliwells' in which they made false reviews in the style of Halliwells - a source they mocked as consistently inaccurate: "Dirty Harry, The: Who can forget this 60's classic which ended with a balloon chase across Los Angeles, or the immortal line 'Go ahead kid - try your luck'!"

There was some satisfaction in finding things back in the day. Some people just liked searching things out. That was when 'nerd' was an insult. Nowadays everyone thinks they know things because they can Google it, and everyone says they're a nerd. It's lost all meaning.

quote:
The problem with the message boards was that there were simply too many to moderate properly, and on most of the boards the ratio of fan to troll was 1:99. The few times I was drawn onto the boards there, I was pretty appalled at the way that it was just a free for all.

However - for the real fans of movies - it will mean that they need to seek out other sources of information. Let's hope some of the true fans come our way, and don't bring the morons with them.

I loved the IMDB message boards. I can see why they were a pain to moderate, but most movies had little to no trolling on the boards - particularly the more obscure ones. I found that hyped new releases, or movies with huge followings are the ones with the most trolling. Frankly, I think if they just had a zero tolerance profanity or threats policy, and just scaled back the number of pages a movie could have active - this wouldn't be a big issue. They could deffo tweak what they have rather than just shut down the whole thing. This is about money. But for those of us that don't use (and have no interest in using) Facebook, then this will be a sad day indeed.

[ 10. February 2017, 10:57: Message edited by: Logan 5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home