iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Stranger Things (Netflix Series) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stranger Things (Netflix Series)
Willie D.
Rewind Curious
Member # 37482

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willie D.   Author's Homepage   Email Willie D.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved loved loved it. Watched it with my older sisters who remember the '80s better than I do (I was born in 83) and they were all in agreement that it reminded them very much of being kids in the '80s. I forget where I heard/read but the way the concept of the show was pitched was by setting the trailer for E.T. to music from John Carpenter's the thing. Looking forward to Season 2 this Halloween!
Posts: 6 | From: San Antonio | Registered: Feb 2017 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad so many of us on here have enjoyed this superb '80's-based series. I will definitely have to check this out again before S2 airs this Fall.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I binge-watched this a few weeks ago.  -

Loved it.

Posts: 1529 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stranger Things S02 (that aired on Netflix in Fall 2017) was incredible. I found this slightly superior to S01, and I felt S01 was fantastic. Amazing creature effects, strong themes of friendship/self-sacrifice, etc. were great to see in this season.

One of the many "homages" I noticed in this season was in Episode 7; this was the one where Eleven hooked up (temporarily) with the group of criminal misfits/outcasts, headed by Kali, the other girl who had telepathic powers. This was obviously "inspired" by the 1984 punk rock/cult classic film, Suburbia (directed by Penelope Spheeris). There was one particular scene where the group was walking out of the warehouse in slight slow-mo that was pulled right out of the film. I also got a 1980's "X-men" vibe from the episode; Kali & some of the other characters reminded me of the '80's "punk rock" Storm and the Morlocks.

Posts: 456 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Peterson
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37560

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ray Peterson   Email Ray Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a bit of a John Mc Clane myself (I believe progress peaked with frozen Pizza) it's taken me until now to get hold of Stranger Things. I watched season one in two nights with my wife, and we only have two episodes to watch in season two, (which we'll do tonight) and I must say...OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME! We love this bloody thing! We knew zero going into it except it was set in the 80's and payed homage to the era, but boy did I have fun picking out those references. I got a whole ball of them right off the bat. Stephen King, Spielberg, Poltergeist, Jim "Predator" Hopper, the terminator meets V titles etc etc. But what I've enjoyed most is, at 36 years old it makes me feel exactly like I used to feel as a kid watching great King adaptions. That is to say, I feel 10 years old again! I love it.
Posts: 27 | From: The Burbs | Registered: Jul 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny the cream puff
Senior Rewinder
Member # 13275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny the cream puff   Email johnny the cream puff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being an 80’s kid myself I loved this series and with Sean Astin in it, what a great touch 😊
Posts: 57 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home