iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » My First Concert!

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My First Concert!
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone!

Last night I went to my first concert. I saw Adam Ant perform his 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier' album, and he also performed some of his other hits.

Adam has been my favorite singer for years!

Overall, it was an amazing night! He was fantastic!

Posts: 201 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Icon
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it was pretty awesome Chloe,i'm sure that i saw on one of the news channels that there going to re-release the album on CD plus Vinyl Lp as well!

I've always liked Adam Ant as well,i think he comes across as a decent and very down to earth celebrity and I have always found his music especially his earlier hits to be catchy plus a lot of fun!

Who do you want to go and see next then Chloe?

Posts: 2624 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Sounds like it was pretty awesome Chloe,i'm sure that i saw on one of the news channels that there going to re-release the album on CD plus Vinyl Lp as well!

I've always liked Adam Ant as well,i think he comes across as a decent and very down to earth celebrity and I have always found his music especially his earlier hits to be catchy plus a lot of fun!

Who do you want to go and see next then Chloe?

Yes, they're releasing a Super Deluxe Box Set Edition of 'Kings of The Wild Frontier' including Vinyl and CD formats. Only so many are being made.
So, I have that on my Christmas List!
I recently got a record player from Amazon, so I don't have to keep using my parents. Now I have my own one.

Who do I want to see next? Hmm, that's a good question! There are so many... I definitely want to see Adam Ant again! I would like to see Madness, too. And I'd also like to see Toyah as well.

Posts: 201 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467



20 Updates!

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Chloe! Did you go with friends, alone, or with parents?

quote:
So, I have that on my Christmas List!
Santa Claus is listening... but you have to be a good girl!

I recently re-bought 'Kings' and 'Prince Charming' on Japanese mini LP CD's, as well as the slipcase edition of Dirk, Kings and Prince. They all have different extra tracks. One of the things that ****es me off is that despite now having the albums with extra tracks, none of the CD's include 'Press Darlings' which was on the US version of the album, or things like 'Beat My Guest' / 'Christian Dior' which were B-sides to 'Stand and Deliver' and 'Prince Charming'. Grrr!

Have you been watching Top of the Pops on the Iplayer this year? It's currently at 1981, and barring some skipped episodes featuring a certain DJ - there are tons of classic appearances from Adam and the Ants. A couple of months ago they showed the never-seen-anywhere-else special Top of the Pops 'Stand and Deliver' video edit (TotP cut the video to remove the gallows scene at the end, so they re-edited a new version especially for TotP). Last episode 'Prince Charming' had just fallen from #1. Toyah and Madness have also been heavily featured, with 'Thunder in the Mountains' is Toyah's 'current' hit (and last top ten hit), and Madness' 'Shut Up' their latest hit. It's great stuff!

Posts: 3191 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 20  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Congrats Chloe! Did you go with friends, alone, or with parents?

quote:
So, I have that on my Christmas List!
Santa Claus is listening... but you have to be a good girl!

I recently re-bought 'Kings' and 'Prince Charming' on Japanese mini LP CD's, as well as the slipcase edition of Dirk, Kings and Prince. They all have different extra tracks. One of the things that ****es me off is that despite now having the albums with extra tracks, none of the CD's include 'Press Darlings' which was on the US version of the album, or things like 'Beat My Guest' / 'Christian Dior' which were B-sides to 'Stand and Deliver' and 'Prince Charming'. Grrr!

Have you been watching Top of the Pops on the Iplayer this year? It's currently at 1981, and barring some skipped episodes featuring a certain DJ - there are tons of classic appearances from Adam and the Ants. A couple of months ago they showed the never-seen-anywhere-else special Top of the Pops 'Stand and Deliver' video edit (TotP cut the video to remove the gallows scene at the end, so they re-edited a new version especially for TotP). Last episode 'Prince Charming' had just fallen from #1. Toyah and Madness have also been heavily featured, with 'Thunder in the Mountains' is Toyah's 'current' hit (and last top ten hit), and Madness' 'Shut Up' their latest hit. It's great stuff!

Thank you, Logan 5! It was a lot of fun!
I went with my parents because they like Adam Ant as well.

Yes, I have been watching Top Of The Pops! I do love that show! I saw 'Stand and Deliver' on there. I saw Adam and The Ants perform 'Antmusic' on there. And a week or so ago they showed the music video for 'Prince Charming'.

On Top Of The Pops, I saw Toyah's music video for 'I Want To Be Free' and I also saw her perform 'Thunder In The Mountains'. I saw Madness' music video for 'Our House' on there as well.

Posts: 201 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467



20 Updates!

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It only just occurred to me that you wouldn't have grown up with Top of the Pops! My god that's a shame! From when it started in the 60's right through to the birth of the internet it was must watch TV, although by the time the net came along it had run out of steam and too many acts were not really the kind that worked on the show. When Adam was huge it was at least partially due to TotP - the videos for 'Stand and Deliver' and 'Prince Charming' might seem slightly cheap and silly now, but at the time they were standard setting and people loved them. I think when they were out Adam was touring internationally, so he never appeared on TotP to promote them and just let the videos do the talking. Only two more Ants hits to go before he splits them up!

The next Toyah song she releases (after Thunder in the Mountains) is the one I have fondest memories of; 'Good Morning Universe'.

Pretty sure you might have seen another Madness video as 'Our House' (my fave song of theirs) isn't due until the end of 1982. I've seen 'Return of the Los Palmos 7' and 'Shut Up' so far in '81, and 'Grey Day' and 'It Must Be Love' are coming up. OMD are also in their best year - 'Joan of Arc' has just hit the charts! Good times!

Posts: 3191 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 20  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
It only just occurred to me that you wouldn't have grown up with Top of the Pops! My god that's a shame! From when it started in the 60's right through to the birth of the internet it was must watch TV, although by the time the net came along it had run out of steam and too many acts were not really the kind that worked on the show. When Adam was huge it was at least partially due to TotP - the videos for 'Stand and Deliver' and 'Prince Charming' might seem slightly cheap and silly now, but at the time they were standard setting and people loved them. I think when they were out Adam was touring internationally, so he never appeared on TotP to promote them and just let the videos do the talking. Only two more Ants hits to go before he splits them up!

The next Toyah song she releases (after Thunder in the Mountains) is the one I have fondest memories of; 'Good Morning Universe'.

Pretty sure you might have seen another Madness video as 'Our House' (my fave song of theirs) isn't due until the end of 1982. I've seen 'Return of the Los Palmos 7' and 'Shut Up' so far in '81, and 'Grey Day' and 'It Must Be Love' are coming up. OMD are also in their best year - 'Joan of Arc' has just hit the charts! Good times!

Although, I didn't grow up with Top Of The Pops, my parents introduced me to it.

I really don't care about any of the music today, so all the music I listen to is the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. My friends have their iPod's and such, but I have my record player. [Big Grin]

OMD are great, too! My favorites are "Enola Gay" and "If You Leave". I have the soundtrack to Pretty In Pink on Vinyl, too.

Posts: 201 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467



20 Updates!

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like you have good taste! I guess you don't actually need a record player to listen to classic music... but it does make the experience that much more authentic. I wouldn't want to get rid of mine. Although there were downsides to record players; my copy of the 'Fame' soundtrack (I recommend the film and the soundtrack) still has a massive scratch down one side from where I hit the arm because the needle was wearing down and kept cutting out of one speaker... ah, good times!

I like how you picked an OMD song from each of their era's. To me, their best run of songs was from when they released 'Enola Gay', 'Souvenir', 'Joan of Arc', 'Maid of Orleans' in a row (the latter three from their biggest selling - and best? - album 'Architecture and Morality)- I'd hate to pick a favourite, as I'm nostalgic for Joan of Arc, but really love both Enola Gay and Souvenir. 'If You Leave' stands apart because of it's association with PiP. Pop trivia: OMD composed another song for the end of PiP ('Goddess of Love') but when the ending was reshot they had to record a new song very quickly, and that was If You Leave. I also have a soft spot for their later 'Pandora's Box'.

I think they reissued the Pretty in Pink soundtrack again a couple of years ago on pink vinyl. I was tempted by that...

However, I hated that the soundtrack was not even close to complete in terms of what was in the film. It lacked the composed love theme music. It lacked New Order's 'Elegia' and on and on... I'm rambling.

Posts: 3191 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 20  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love vinyl. Sure, it is fragile and uses archaic analog technology, but the sound quality could be absolutely amazing, better than anything you've ever heard. I have a couple of classical and jazz music LPs made back in the 70s that were recorded "direct to disc"; in other words, the sound went straight from the microphones to the cutting needle of the LP disc master, bypassing any tape. I thought that it was the closest thing that you could ever get to a truly live performance, warts and all. Today, CDs and MP3s, while convenient and inexpensive, use all kinds of compression and enhancement, which can introduce artifacting--it's never the way it originally sounded.

Oh, and for young people today--I am an old-timer now--you also never experienced true quadraphonic vinyl, an early version of surround sound, four discrete tracks coming from four speakers. For us audiophiles back in the day, that was like heaven even though you needed an expensive set up including four speakers and a matrix decoder. You could surround yourself in realistic, wraparound sound. It was like sitting in the middle of your favorite band or orchestra. The few quad albums that I had would knock your socks off. I miss the old-school stuff!

[ 01. June 2016, 08:28: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 1532 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467



20 Updates!

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we didn't even mention the fantastic artwork for many LP's that is so good people frame it now! How many albums had packaging that seemed to enhance the experience of owning the record? Great sound, great imagery. When CD's came along they were an immediate letdown to me.

Plus I *hate* CD compression, and it always sounded bad to me - even when people were singing the praises of the new 'almost unbreakable' format. You find you have to research the CD releases of albums now just to see what audiophiles have to say about the mixing.

[ 01. June 2016, 14:24: Message edited by: Logan 5 ]

Posts: 3191 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 20  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dead on, Logan, my brother. Sometimes the modern way is not always the best way.
Posts: 1532 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinyl definitely sounds the best, in my opinion! [Big Grin]
Posts: 201 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Legend
Member # 7514

 - posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chloe, sounds like you had a great time! It will be something you'll never forget! My first concert was Aerosmith.
I miss the days of looking at all of the album covers- either artwork or images of the band. I could spend hours in National Record Mart!

Posts: 1746 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Chloe, sounds like you had a great time! It will be something you'll never forget! My first concert was Aerosmith.
I miss the days of looking at all of the album covers- either artwork or images of the band. I could spend hours in National Record Mart!

Thanks, Pittsburghgirl! I certainly did have a great time!

Wow! Aerosmith! I bet that was a great concert.

I can honestly spend hours looking round record shops. Looking at all the different LP's and Singles is so fascinating. [Big Grin]

Posts: 201 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Icon
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
5
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first concert was Def Leppard supported by Terrorvision at Wembley arena,it was awesome!
Posts: 2624 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.0