iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  40  41  42   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have a question: What's the difference between widescreen and anamorphic widescreen?
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
starting in September I can see my DVD collection growing by leaps and bounds as Bismarck is finally getting a Best Buy. Right now all we have is a few overpriced places in which to buy DVD's and since I don't have a credit card buying online has never been an option. Good thing that it's not going to be directly across the street from my apartment like my favorite restaraunt is.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out grocery stores for bargain bins--They'll have movies like The Wraith for $5.50.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ordered these DVDs:

Once Bitten
Tapeheads
Teen Witch
Freaked - Alex Winter film finally getting a decent release with 2-discs, behind the scenes, commentary etc.

Obscurus Lupa: This page should explain all you want to know about letterbox & anamorphic widescreen (it's got a nice flash animation presentation)

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Thank, Wizard. That was helpful. [Smile]
The Wizard
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know that early bird saying, well this early bird got some real cheap worms at the car boot this morning:

£1 videos:

Specters
Wimps
Little Monsters

and these DVDs for £2 each!

The Rock
Gone in 60 Seconds
Swordfish
Romeo Must Die
American Beauty
Stir of Echos
Shanghai Noon
The Postman
Once Upon a Time in China and America
Momento
The Black Sheep Affair

ah nuts, running out of shelf space [Wink]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rancid
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4108

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Rancid   Email Rancid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brotherhood of Justice
All the Right Moves
Mischief

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also bought License to Drive Special Edition this weekend. Thats a GREAT DVD. Not only is it a really fun movie, but it at least appears to have some really nice special features. I didn't get a chance to watch them last night, but there are new interviews with both the Coreys! I have high hopes for the special features on this dvd, as the insert includes a REALLY nice collectible booklet. It has a trivia quiz about the movie, and then brief information about all the actors in the movie, how they got the parts, and what happened to them later. Its REALLY nice and if the quality of that insert is any reflection of the special features on the DVD then this one will rank as one of my favorite DVD's I have bought in a long time.

Phanstar

Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new in this forum.

About the question I recently purchased:

License to Drive on DVD
Footloose the New DVD edition.

And I'm waiting for the DVD release of Teen Witch.

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Mane1980.

I recently bought:

- The Rocky Collection
- Bad Boys (1983)
- The Philadelphia Experiment
- Lucas
- The Exterminator

Lethal Attraction (ya, that’s how they decided to call Heathers here), 3 'O Clock High, Casual Sex and season one of Miami Vice will follow shortly. [Smile]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kriahl
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2843

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kriahl   Email kriahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently bought:

* Twelve Monkeys
* Legend (1985)
* The 10th Kingdom (mini)
* The People Under the Stairs
* House of 1000 Corpses
* Spirited Away
* Seinfeld (Season 1 & 2)
* Time Bandits
* Kingpin
* Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Palin)
* Bottom (Season 1)
* Farscape (Season 1)
* Erasure - Hits! The Videos
* VNV Nation - Pastperfect

Must-haves [Smile]

[ 06. July 2005, 07:04: Message edited by: kriahl ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got Goonies for 7.50 at wal mart. woo hoo.
Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natural Born Killers:Director's Cut
Jackie Brown: Collector's Edition
Kill Bill Volume 2

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got my dvd copies of Princess Bride and Some Kind Of Wonderful - also ordered a great tv show on dvd (90s, apparently) called The Camomile Lawn. It's a really superb adaptation of the original novel. Anyone from the UK remember it?
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
I bought 3 movies for 30 bucks:

American Werewolf in London
War Games
The Wraith

Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just bought Top Gun and the second season of Punky Brewster on DVD. In VHS i bought The Night of the Comet, The Monster Squad, The Girl in the Picture, Grandview USA, RAD, Little Sister(w/Alyssa Milano) and Dream Trap (w/Kristy Swanson)
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

The Camomile Lawn... oh I remember that, well certain scenes with a distinct absense of clothes [Wink]

Today I got these, prices varied betwen 50p & £2:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow DVD
Clockstoppers DVD
Humanoid Woman DVD
Ghoulies VHS
Pet Sematary Two
VHS with 3 episodes of the 80's BBC show "Star Cops"
The Princess Bride VHS
Trick or Treat VHS
Certain Fury VHS

cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well July 12th was a monumental day...I bought Teen Witch, Moving Violations, National Lampoon's Class Reunion (from 1982) and Cry Baby. I also scored a copy of Career Opportunities cheap at Wal-Mart, however, I'm not sure I like it. And also, Napoleon Dynamite. These are all on DVD. Whoo-hoo!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
I just bought today:

Summer School, St. Elmos Fire, Sneakers and Te bad news bears each one for 5.99 at wal-mart and the secret of my success.

cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mane, that was outta sight! Gotta love the bargin bin!! It just hurts me when I see a movie in there now for $5.99 and I paid like $20 three years ago [Frown] ...Oh well. Good for you though. Those are great movies. I've never seen Sneakers but I am a big River Phoenix fan so it's on my list.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obscurus Lupa:
So I have a question: What's the difference between widescreen and anamorphic widescreen?

I think widescreen has the aspect ratio 1.85:1 and the anamorphic widescreen has the aspect ratio of 2.35:1. The anamorphic has a wider viewing area than regular widescreen. On a regular TV, the regular widescreen fills more of the screen vertically. Anamorphic is thinner vertically, but is more widescreen. I think I got that right.

I recently bought:
Heavy Metal
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Watership Down
Krull (haven't received it yet)
The Hunt For Red October
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Little Monsters

[ 14. July 2005, 21:05: Message edited by: Brandon777 ]

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
Cindy, sneakers is really good, and some of the DVD's I bought today I have seen in other stores for 9.99 'til 12.99.

[ 14. July 2005, 22:14: Message edited by: Mane1980 ]

Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
Brandon- If you look back, that link the other guy posted does an AMAZING job of explaining Anamorphic.

Basically tho, Anamorphic widescreens have been stretched, so then when played on a widescreen tv, or a tv with a widescreen enhanced mode they will have a MUCH BETTER picture quality.

It was one of the features that made the DVD such a big deal. So when a movie is released without it, it really urks me. In fact I ran into Best Buy to pick up Big last night. Can you believe my wife has never seen it?!?!?! And I told her if its 10 bucks Ill get it, if its 15 we will rent it. Well it was 10 bucks, but it was a non anamorphic widescreen so I passed anyways. Chances are a movie that popular with such a crappy initial DVD release is destined for a Special Edition sooner or later....

Phanstar

Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. I didn't see that link. Yeah, that did a great job explaining everything. I need to get a widescreen TV.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey cindy where did u find teen witch at? i had to order mine from hastings it should be in soon i hope [Smile] they said they will call me when it comes in [Smile] but idid get cry baby :0
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  40  41  42   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home