iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 48)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 48 pages: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Picked up on Blu Ray the 1989 comedy sequel Fletch Lives with Chevy Chase returning as L.A reporter Irwin 'Fletch' Fletcher and which also stars Hal Holbrook,Julianne Phillips,Cleavon Little,Randall 'Tex' Cobb and R Lee Ermey plus also i got the 1986 cycling drama/thriller Quicksilver starring Kevin Bacon,Paul Rodriguez and Jami Gertz.

Posts: 3588 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Picked up a few VHS Ex - Rental tapes I got the 1986 comedy Separate Vacations with David Naughton and Jennifer Dale and two Guild Home Video releases (which was a popular distributor here in the U.K with some great releases back in the day) which were Past Midnight with Rutger Hauer and the late Natasha Richardson and lastly the 1989 Rom Com Happy Together with Patrick Dempsey and Helen Slater.

-

And on Blu Ray I picked up Marathon Man and the 1979 sci-fi adventure Time After Time with Malcolm McDowell which I have never seen before but have read pretty decent reviews on so just hoping it's a good watch plus also two Scream Factory titles which were Tobe Hooper's Invaders From Mars from 1986 and Timebomb with Michael Biehn and Patsy Kensit from 1991.

[ 17. December 2018, 08:51: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3588 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great artwork on that Seperate Vacations tape, Young Warrior.. Love it ! [Smile]

Several UK imports arrived today, just in time for Christmas :

-  -

The De Niro & De Palma box-set consists of Greetings (1968), The Wedding Party (1969), and Hi Mom ! (1970).

When A Stranger Calls (1979) is the recently released Second Sight limited edition, which also includes the sequel
When A Stranger Calls Back (1993), as well as a soundtrack CD.

Posts: 2152 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I own When A Stranger Calls on a cheap Mill Creek double feature alongside Happy Birthday To Me but have never seen it before so it's one I definitely need to get around to watching!

Picked up a few Blu's and a DVD I got Warner Archives Blu Ray of Freebie And The Bean with Alan Atkin and James Caan,1977 all star War pic A Bridge Too Far,Walter Hill's (48HRS) Trespass from 1992 starring Bill Paxton, William Sandler,Ice Cube and Ice T and lastly on Dvd the 90's Erotic thriller Save Me with Harry Hamlin, Michael Ironside and Lysette Anthony.

[ 02. January 2019, 16:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

A few more Blu Ray titles that I got with my Xmas monies with all three being upgrades from my current DVD's I got the US import of the Sure Thing with John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga,The Man With Two Brains featuring Steve Martin and from the 101 films sale I grabbed The Falcon And The Snowman starring Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a couple of VHS one that I have never seen before and also a couple of Blu Ray's plus some Mini Twiglets (yummy!),on tape I got Skin Deep from Blake Edwards which I have seen way back and believe I enjoyed it and a 1988 Lou Diamond Philips movie Dakota which is a blind buy but it was going so cheap I thought i'd give it a go and if I don't like it it's no big loss!

On Blu Ray I raided the 101 Films sale again and grabbed The Playboys which I have watched a couple of times before and I do enjoy it,I like the setting,story and the cast it's a good film plus also from a sale I picked up the WW2 war classic The Great Escape which I love but strangely have never owned!

Pghgirl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37571

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pghgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched The Playboys a few months ago. I stumbled upon it. I think it was on one of those tv stations which plays a lot of indie movies. It was worth a watch. I have not heard of Dakota. Will have to look for it. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Still not watched Dakota yet Pittsburghgirl but I'll let you know what it is like when I do!

Playboy's is not a bad movie and I wouldn't mind visiting Ireland one day as it
Looks very picturesque!

-

Picked up on Blu Ray The Cannonball Run 1 and 2 plus Escape From New York which I've upgraded from my old DVD and on VHS I got the fun Canadian comedy Recruits from the director of Screwballs.

[ 21. January 2019, 07:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a few cheap VHS of eBay 2 of which I have seen way back Boulevard with Lou Diamond Philips,Lance Henriksen and Rae Dawn Chong plus the 1987 horror the Kindred starring Rod Steiger,Talia Balsam,Julia Montgomery (Revenge Of The Nerd's) and Amanda Pays who I remember well from Oxford Blues and then lastly a blind buy the little known 1989 comedy Options featuring Matt Salinger (Captain America),Joanna Pacula and in small cameos James Keach,Susan Anton and Eric Roberts.

Here's the trailers -

https://youtu.be/xRCo7mWMQ2c - Boulevard (1994).

https://youtu.be/yPIKZP5Pdug - Kindred (1987).

https://youtu.be/Cqu0xASVpJM - Options (1989) which says 88 on the YouTube video but going by IMDb was released in 89.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a couple of DVD's the 1988 horror Deadly Dreams from Code Red DVD which I watched a while back and didn't dislike I thought it was pretty well done with the odd unexpected twist here and there though the whole is he or isn't he dreaming plotline did tend to annoy at times so not entirely perfect!

Bats I also have seen but way back and remember very little from it other than it stars Lou Diamond Philips and in all truth I'm not expecting too much from it but it was cheap and I thought what the heck i'll give it a go it's probably worth a watch and perhaps a few unintentional laughs!

-

Also grabbed four VHS which have never been released to Blu Ray or DVD three of which were blind buys and they were A Bear Named Arthur an early 90s comedy from Italian director Sergio Martino and the late 80s Cannon Films comedy Surrender starring Michael Caine,Sally Field and Steve Guttenberg (this one I have seen but way back upon its release) also on VHS I got

-

-

Low budget Action shenanigans in Da Vinci's War with Joey Travolta,Vanity and Michael Nouri and the 1986 Baboon horror In The Shadows Of Kilimanjaro starring Timothy Bottom's,John Rhys Davies and Irene Miracle.

[ 10. February 2019, 17:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

A few more relatively cheap eBay VHS pick ups and they are the Cannon Pictures WW2 war flick Hanna's War starring Ellen Burstyn, Donald Pleasance and David Warner,Death Of A Soldier with Reb Brown and James Coburn which is also set during WW2 but concentrates on the true life case of serial killer Edward Leonski a US private who was convicted of murdering 3 local women whilst stationed in Melbourne Australia and then lastly we have the revenge thriller No Safe Haven starring Wings Hauser and the late Robert Tessier who are both on the trail of a drug cartel who have wiped out all of Hauser's family!

Here's the trailers -

https://youtu.be/UYF1lHjUWC4 - Hanna's War (1988) trailer.

https://youtu.be/JzkWkYKMJAE - No Safe Haven (1987) trailer.

https://youtu.be/IRH8hd-EZUk - Death Of A Soldier (1986) trailer.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a few Clint Eastwood Blu ray's and at a very reasonable price just 4 UK pounds each I got Play Misty For Me,Coogans Bluff and the Beguiled.
Also on Blu and from Mill Creek I purchased Silent Rage and Hardbodies which came with some slightly flimsy but rather cool looking retro VHS slip covers!

-

And on VHS I picked up a very good condition for its age Ex-Rental big box edition of the ace Silver Bullet starring the late Corey Haim and Gary Busey and lastly I got the CD soundtrack to Electric Dreams.

Pghgirl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37571

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pghgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up the 2014 version Robocop on Blu-Ray at the dollar store. They had quite a few other Blu-Rays, but no others interested me. I've only seen the 1987 Peter Weller version. I haven't picked up any 80's movies from the thrift stores, in a long time.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a few Blu ray's over the last few weeks I got 2 Vestron Collection releases - The Class Of 1999 and The Unholy, western - In The Valley Of Violence with Ethan Hawke and John Travolta and from Millcreek with retro VHS sleeve I got - Neighbors with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd then lastly another US import I got the classic 1979 low budget horror - Phantasm.

A few I have in my sights are the US Blu Ray releases of the 1982 horror The Incubus,Who's Harry Crumb,Phantasm 3,An Innocent Man from Kino Lorber, Nightmare At Noon,body swap comedy Vice Versa and for UK releases the upcoming Black Moon Rising from Arrow Video,Breakout starring Charles Bronson,Body Double,Candyman 2 and Great Balls Of Fire starring Dennis Quaid and Winona Ryder.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a copy of Class Of 1999 myself.. already had The Unholy on the earlier (and identical) US release.
If i had known they'd give it a UK release i probably would have waited.. but, well.. that's how it goes sometimes. [Roll Eyes]

The Unholy comes with some good special features, most memorably a piece on the special effects about this young
FX guy fresh outta high school spending insane amounts of the budget on his sculptures, only to have his work being
replaced by creatures from a more experienced FX crew when they were running behind on schedule.

Posts: 2152 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Not watched The Unholy in a while Johnny but the one thing I remember is the Demon creature at the end and the fact I was nearly ROFL as it was so bad which was strange as the effects up until then had been pretty spot on but overall it's a decent watch and somewhat underatted!

I'm hoping we get Maximum Overdrive to the Vestron collectors series here in the UK and I'm not sure what's happening to Slaughter High (which was at one time slated for release) but would like to upgrade to that on Blu if I ever get the chance!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Among my latest purchases are two truly superb blu-ray box-sets from Arrow :

- Ring ; Complete Collection (the original J-horror favourite, plus Ring 2, Ring 0, and Ring Spiral)

- Blood Hunger ; The Films Of José Larraz (which includes Whirlpool, Vampyres, and The Coming Of Sin)

I'm very happy my copy of the Ring box-set came in, as it (reportedly) sold out pretty damn fast.
Haven't seen the original Ring and the sequel since they were first released on dvd in overly dark
video-transfers with burned-in subtitles.. so it's about time to revisit these creepy atmospheric shockers.

I'm also very eager to see how Arrow's version of Vampyres compares to the older Blue Underground release.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Got myself the new Halloween (2018 version) on blu-ray.. Haven't seen it yet, but Universal released the exact same disc
as their US and UK editions here in Holland, so i could pick it up fairly cheap ! [Smile]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Yeah I just not long picked up the new Halloween which I have seen as I watched it in the theatres and it's certainly not my favourite In the series but still it's pretty decent and I'm hoping it will grow on me a bit more with a second viewing!

Also grabbed erotic thriller In The Cold Of The Night which I have upgraded from my old dvd,Vice Versa from Millcreek and lastly a double feature of Cannonballs 1 and 2 which I did get a little while back but don't think I ever mentioned it on here!

Actually I have posted a picture of the Cannonball Run disc as it's a posts up the page! Silly me!

This topic comprises 48 pages: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home