iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 46)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 48 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ambassador with Mitchum and Hudson while slow in places is not a bad little thriller,I've also seen Freeway (1988) but way back on VHS and can remember very little from it!

Never seen The Lift but do remember the old big box UK Warner Home Video cover for it plus never seen any films by Paul Naschy so curious as to what there like.

Posts: 3513 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be really curious as to what you think about the Naschy films. Quite frankly, I've never "gotten" them. I know that Naschy really loved the old Universal monsters, so he often cast himself as a werewolf. The films themselves are usually stodgy, like on the one hand, they were trying to replicate the Universal films, yet they have lots of violence and nudity, typical of the 1970s and 80s. (Naschy was big on bedding all these Euro-babes in his films. It's almost a running joke.) So they come off like neither fish nor fowl--too poky and hokey for modern audiences and too jarring for someone expecting classic horror, like Universal or Hammer. I'm not sure who the intended audience was. That's not to say that some of them aren't watchable. I just usually scratch my head because for every decent idea or scene, there are at least two or three that just don't work for me.

[ 29. November 2017, 04:56: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2108 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last big package of the year arrived this morning, including :

-  -

Suspiria is the new 4K restored version, limited to i-don't-know-how-many copies, but mine is #606 ! [Cool]

Both Suspiria as well as the new Twin Peaks series will definitely make my list of favourite releases of 2017, no doubt !

More to come...

Posts: 2126 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -

Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky (Criterion blu-ray), Eyes Of Laura Mars (Powerhouse Films' Indicator Series), and of course i had to upgrade
my old dvd of Deathdream to this new Blue Underground combpack as it is one my favorite horrorfilms of all time !

Also upgraded the original Toolbox Murders (to the recently released 88Films blu-ray) and The Devil's Rain (to the new Severin blu-ray).

Posts: 2126 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Bob Clark's Death Dream Johnny but heard nothing but good things about it,also need to check out the Eyes Of Laura Mars.

-

From my wife for Xmas I got Jack's Back on Blu Ray and Witchboard on Blu Ray,also picked up of Amazon UK from there 88 Films sale Meridian and Return To Horror High.

All of these were upgrades from Dvd except for Return To Horror High which I have never owned before!

[ 02. January 2018, 00:04: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3513 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Return to Horror High is a huge score.

NICE.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4226 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I still own the bare-bones Anchor Bay dvd of Return To Horror High from 15 years ago. It has a nice looking transfer,
but from what i understand is that the 88Films disc is a considerable step up in overall quality, so i may be tempted
to upgrade and pick up a copy myself at some point.

Anyway, sooner than expected i already received my first package of 2018 the other day, with :

-  -

Joe D'Amato's Emmanuelle & The Deadly Black Cobra (in Europe better known as Eva Nera) and Umberto Lenzi's
Seven Bloodstained Orchids, both on blu-ray from the Code Red label (and distributed through Kino Lorber).

More from Code Red : Truck Stop Women, The Concrete Jungle, and several Cirio H. Santiago titles, on dvd only.

Also upgraded Silent Night Deadly Night to the new Scream Factory 2-disc blu-ray set, and The Breakfast Club to
the recently released Criterion edition, which has some pretty cool extra's exclusive to this release !

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I wish that Code Red Blu Ray's were a little easier to get hold off plus a lot cheaper as there's loads of titles I would like to pick up from them.

I have The Concrete Jungle on a budget UK full screen dvd and it's a great little WIP flick and is one I wouldn't mind upgrading to there new Blu.

A few of there releases I would also like to grab on Blu Ray -

Out Of Control - (1985) with Betsy Russell which I have on VHS
Humongous - (1982)
The Power - (1984) which I have already on Dvd
Butcher,Baker Nightmare Maker - (1982)
Sole Survivor - (1984) another I already own on DVD
Savage Attraction aka Hostage - (1983)
The Rain Killer - (1990) with Ray Sharkey which I own on VHS
Mutant - (1984) which I have the US wide-screen Dvd from Elite Entertainment.

So in all truth mostly just upgrades from VHS/DVD but if Code Red's prices were a bit more reasonable I would definitely go for it in replacing them all!

Some of the Blu Ray's (Below) that I got with my Christmas monies

-

- 976 Evil,Wild Thing, Harley Davidson And The Marlboro Man and lastly Vampires Kiss/ High Spirits double feature.

[ 12. January 2018, 07:28: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I have lots of Code Red's earlier stuff, but towards the end of 2011 they decided to start self-distribute their releases,
which caused their whole back-catalogue to go out-of-print instantly. I remember around that time i had pre-ordered
Night Of The Demon (1980), but it never came in...
It was only recently that Kino Lorber started distributing selected Code Red titles, making their releases widely available
once again. (some only on dvd, while the blu-ray editions remain very difficult to get a hold of)

Funny story : At a certain point, Code Red announced their release of God's Bloody Acre on dvd. The disc was withdrawn
just prior to release-date while copies were already sent out to suppliers. They were ordered to return their stock, and soon
after a replacement disc was issued (which paired God's Bloody Acre with a movie called Tomcats on a double-feature disc).
However, a certain US supplier had already sent out at least one copy of the original pressing to this store all the way across
the ocean in The Netherlands.. which, as you will have guessed by now, was my own pre-ordered copy of God's Bloody Acre ! [Cool]

[ 14. January 2018, 09:14: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Sounds like you have a bit of a collector's item there Johnny in that original pressing of God's Bloody Acre,Code Red is such a strangely run distributor with it's owner in my opinion totally blind to potential overseas sales!

I did read that he originally broke away from selling his titles through Amazon as he was making next to no profit from the sales but I'm not quite sure I buy that theory.

Diabolikdvd do sale Code Red Blu Ray's to overseas customers but there shipping costs are astronomical so no real joy there either!

[ 16. January 2018, 11:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do feel for you folks who have to pay those shipping costs to Europe. I sent a DVD box set to the UK once, and the shipping was more than I paid for the DVDs. [Frown]
Posts: 2108 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Today i received these ultra-cool German imports :

-  -  -

Blu-ray.com recently did a review for Camera Obscura's Deadly Games combopack : www.blu-ray.com/movies/Deadly-Games-Blu-ray/176195/#Review

Die Rache Des Paten is also a combopack (packaged in a regular dvd case though). This is an Italian crime movie also known as Cry Of A Prostitute (1974).

Labyrinth Des Roten Todes is none other than Umberto Lenzi's Eyeball (1975), and comes packaged in a hardcover mediabook.. Sweet ! [Cool]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Blade Runner 2049

Various editions with different artwork are available, but i eventually decided to pick up the steelbook edition
(as pictured above), simply because i really like this art design. It's really different than the regular edition, plus
it comes with the official soundtrack CD as a bonus (20 tracks running 79+ min.), so that's pretty damn cool too !

[ 24. February 2018, 15:08: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Need to check out Blade Runner 2049 Johnny, awesome that they throw in the soundtrack as well!

-

A few pick ups over the last month I got on the Blu Ray The Howling,Sweet Sixteen,The Taking Of Beverly Hills and on DVD from Code Red entertainment I got the Aussie based on true events thriller Savage Attraction aka Hostage The Christine Maresch Story.

(Below) The cool UK VHS/Beta artwork from Medusa Entertainment for Hostage aka Savage Attractions which I've always really dug!

-

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I have to admit i'm not familiar with Savage Attraction. The Code Red dvd artwork makes it look like a sexploitation film,
while that vintage UK poster seems to try and sell it as a straight-forward action thriller.

Either way, it did grab my attention.. so i may have to check it out myself at some point ! [Big Grin]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Today a package of UK import titles was delivered, including :

-  -

Cat O'Nine Tails (limited edition), Der Todesking (limited edition), and Scalpel, from Arrow Video.

The Gate (blu-ray) from Vestron UK and the definitive edition of Night Of The Living Dead from Criterion.

Charley Varrick (1973), Blue Collar (1978), and The Border (1982), all from Powerhouse Films' Indicator Series.

Also :

-

I don't know.. i took a bit of a gamble here, but The Deuce appears to be something that may be right up my alley.
Has anyone seen it, by any chance ?

[ 27. February 2018, 16:23: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Great pick ups there Johnny i want to upgrade to the UK Vestron edition of The Gate plus I know they've released Wishmaster so I might grab that as well!

Loads of Indicator's titles I'd like to pick up especialy Bronson's The Stone Killer,Depalma's Body Double and John Carpenter's Vampire's.

Scalpel aka False Face is at the top of my online rental list so hopefully get to check that out some time soon!

Yeah the cover art for Savage Attractions aka Hostage by Code Red is quite misleading Johnny and though it does contain the odd sleazy moment it's not quite the sleazefest that the cover promises it to be,it's actually quite a tense thriller and better still it's based on true events which makes it even more gripping!

https://youtu.be/tKxWPkpHDzw - here's the trailer Johnny

[ 27. February 2018, 10:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Love that trailer.. Back in the day, they certainly knew how to sell a movie ! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Loads of Indicator's titles I'd like to pick up especialy Bronson's The Stone Killer

Their release of The Stone Killer is superb.. However, pretty soon there will also be a much cheaper option :
On April 3rd, Mill Creek Entertainment will release a Bronson 4-movie collection on blu-ray that includes
The Valachi Papers, The Stone Killer, Break Out, and Hard Times (aka The Streetfighter).

www.blu-ray.com/movies/Charles-Bronson-4-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/198258/

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah definitely want to pick up Stone Killer on Blu,I just watched The Eyes Of Laura Mars last night on Blu from them and that was a quality release!

-

A few reasonably priced DVD pick ups I got the Aussie comedy The Big Steal,murder mystery The Jigsaw Murders and 1986 horror Killer Party from director William Fruet.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up on Blu Ray Vision Quest or Crazy For You as it was known here in the U.K and the excellent 1982 horror The Entity starring Barbara Hershey.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice warrior! Love vision quest. An underrated 80s flick. Imo
Posts: 1598 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Idea. Anybody seen this? It has John candy in it. That's why I bought it. Also has Stephanie powers in it. I'm not sure buying it and watching it are such a "good idea".:-P
Posts: 1598 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

It gets mostly bad reviews over on IMDB Terd but with John Candy and Stephanie Powers in the cast it's worth checking out just on the odd chance that it's not quite as bad as they say it is!

[ 26. March 2018, 08:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They made it look like 80s film which it definitely is not [Big Grin]
Posts: 7357 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dvd cover art is even funnier, wiki says: "Candy plays the minor role of an investigating police officer"

And then you have this [Razz]

-

Posts: 7357 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 48 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home