iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 45)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Picked up on Scream Factory Blu Ray Prince Of Darkness and the killer wasp horror comedy Stung, also on Blu I got The Manhattan Project which is a blind buy for me and one that I have been wanting to watch for ages now and lastly the fun 80s Action thriller Opposing Force aka Hell Camp starring the cool Tom Skerritt.

Posts: 3376 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Manhattan Project is a good thriller, sort of like WarGames with some really nice performances from John Lithgow; Christopher Collet, who was also very good in First Born; and a young Cynthia "Sex in the City" Nixon. Apart from the stealing of the fissionable material--a well-done, fun scene--I don't find it unbelievable at all. Indeed, there actually was, as I recall, a high school student back in the 80s, who, on his own, came up with a design for a workable thermonuclear device for a science class paper. The U.S. Government came in and classified his paper as "top secret." [Smile] I think that you'll like it.
Posts: 2084 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah looking forward to checking out The Manhattan Project Crash and I did keep thinking to myself where had I seen Christopher Collet before and that is it,it was Firstborn which I also have on Blu Ray up on my shelf which is a decent little movie with a great performance by Peter Weller and was known as Moving In when it was released to VHS/Beta here in the UK back in 84!
Posts: 3376 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Weller is really excellent in a rare villainous role in First Born. He was one of those actors who is really solid in everything he does but who rarely gets any credit. The other Peter, Peter Coyote, was like that too in the 80s, good and overlooked.
Posts: 2084 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah I like Peter Coyote Crash,he is one of those actors that tends to go sometimes unotticed yet he always gives it his all and he's got a ton of credits to his name!

-

Picked up on Blu Ray a double bill of Empire Pictures 80s sci fi action in the Eliminators and Dungeon Master aka Ragewar, also on dvd I got a Eric Roberts action thriller called The Butcher which is a blind buy but it was that dirt cheap I thought it worth a gamble!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I believe that Eric Roberts has more movie and TV credits that any other living actor! He must work every day of the year.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Some recent Blu Ray pick ups all from the Kino Classics line which had a sale earlier in the month!

I got No Retreat No Surrender,Assassination, Stephen King's Needful Things, They're Playing With Fire and lastly Revenge Of The Ninja with Sho Kosugi.

Excuse the poor quality photo as there's a lack of light due to it being pitch black outside!

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's definitely some cool stuff there, Warrior. I also own that same No Retreat No Surrender blu-ray,
and in all honesty i enjoyed it far more than i dare to admit ! [Smile]

On saturday i received the latest batch of Vinegar Syndrome titles (Demon Wind, Blood Beat, A Woman's Torment,
and the Prime Evil / Lurkers double-feature, all combopacks), still several days prior to official release date.

From Kino Lorber i've got SpaceCamp, Night Angel, Stone Cold Dead, Rolling Vengeance, and of course Rawhead Rex.

A Quiet Place In The Country (1968) and Penelope Spheeris' Dudes (1987) from Shout! Factory.

And on dvd there's Moonshine County Express (1977) and Deadly Dreams (1988), both from the Code Red label.

Posts: 2089 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and this one :

-

Glad to see they used the original artwork.. plus there's a nice selection of extra's too !

Posts: 2089 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Johnny I'm yet to check out the No Retreat No Surrender release and the last time I actually watched it was back upon it's original VHS/Beta release so certainly looking forward to revisiting it,you've got some cool pick ups there yourself let us know when you get chance what Stone Cold Dead is like as I've been curious about that one as it's got the great Richard Crenna in it!

From the others that you grabbed I have watched Space Camp before which was fun and Rolling Vengeance is a blast,also I have seen Deadly Dreams which is not entirely successful but the plot is pretty trippy and overall I'd say it's a decent watch!

The Devil's Honey looks cool!

[ 23. October 2017, 10:59: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
These arrived today :

-  -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cool pick ups Johnny!

-

I grabbed a few Blu Ray's of late I got 2017 thriller Get Out,Internal Affairs with Richard Gere and Andy Garcia,Starman and The Complete Nightmare On Elm Street collection on Blu for a bargain £12.99.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a couple of horrors on Blu I got the killer Baboon flick Shakma (cheap German Blu Ray) plus the screen adaption of Stephen King's Sometimes They Come Back,also got the Peter Hyams 1988 thriller The Presidio starring Sean Connery and Mark Harmon.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, it seemed like my Dad would watch anything with Peter Coyote. He definitely was an admirer.
Posts: 2024 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I picked up T.J. Hooker Seasons 1 & 2, Tour of Duty- the complete series, and a Kenny Rogers Christmas special which also includes a Liberace Christmas special and two other old timey Christmas shows (I don't have the DVD in front of me at the moment, and I can't remember what they were). We are watching T.J. Hooker right now. I never saw an episode of this when it first aired. The Pilot isn't bad, but Adrian Zmed is definitely cheesey.
Posts: 2024 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Tour Of Duty was a great series as is T.J Hooker,you ever seen the hilarious Tom Hanks comedy Bachelor Party Pittsburghgirl as Adrian Zmed sings this fun little track from the soundtrack - https://youtu.be/9wmoI7ldMuc called Little Demon.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I don't remember that song youngwarrior, but I do remember some of the movie. Tawney Kitaen played Tom Hanks' girlfriend.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I picked up Friday Night Lights tv series, the complete series. They took it off of Netflix, so now I can watch it whenever I want!
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
I picked up Friday Night Lights tv series, the complete series. They took it off of Netflix, so now I can watch it whenever I want!

I've heard such good things about that series. Definitely want to jump in to that one someday.
Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

It's a shame they took it away from Netflix, gordongecko. It was one of their most watched shows. The DVD set was $35 at Walmart.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Picked up two more 80s titles from the Kino Lorber catalogue :

-  -

J. Lee Thompson's The Ambassador (1985) and Freeway (1988)

Also :

-  -

De Lift (the Blue Underground edition is the one to get), and Scream Factory's second Paul Naschy Collection,
which has one movie i'd never even heard of before : A Dragonfly For Each Corpse (1973) !

Love that tagline on the front-cover of De Lift : ,..Take the stairs !.. Take the stairs !.. For God's sake, TAKE THE STAIRS !!!' [Big Grin]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Today in the mail :

-

Fango Bollente (1975)

The Austrian blu-ray edition sold out within weeks, but luckily i still managed to get a hold of the dvd version
to keep my Camera Obscura collection complete, as this is #19 of their Italian Genre Cinema collection.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Between Night and Dawn: The Lost Films of George Romero. How lost are they when I've had legit DVD versions of all three for years? LOL Seriously, the extras in this package are very enticing. I may be in the smallest minority around, but I think that of these three films, The Crazies is one of Romero's best films. Sure, it's low-budget, the acting is somewhat variable, and that snare-drum military soundtrack wears out its welcome fast, but it's ambitious, intelligently written, wonderfully edited, and thought provoking. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's an impressive film. Breck Eisner's remake from a few years back is very good too on a much grander budget, but there's something about Romero's primitivism that works better for me.

And speaking of good editing, Jack's Wife a/k/a Season of the Witch a/k/a Hungry Wives, while not a complete success, does have an amazing last 20 minutes or so of suspense, perfectly edited by Romero himself. The rest of the film is talky and dated, but when you get to the climax, you are in Romero's good, scary hands.

I'll only say that the third film, There's Always Vanilla, the film Romero directed immediately after Night of the Living Dead, while not terrible and pretty watchable despite its age, is easily his weakest film in a long career without a single bad film. RIP, George.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Between Night and Dawn: The Lost Films of George Romero. How lost are they when I've had legit DVD versions of all three for years?

I'll only say that the third film, There's Always Vanilla, the film Romero directed immediately after Night of the Living Dead, while not terrible
and pretty watchable despite its age, is easily his weakest film in a long career without a single bad film.

The original elements for There's Always Vanilla and Jack's Wife no longer exist, and therefore these films are considered lost.
They weren't talking about the availability of these titles, as indeed there was a Season Of The Witch / There's Always Vanilla
double-feature dvd released by Anchor Bay in 2005 (with video-quality waaaay below their usual high standards though).

As for There's always Vanilla.. I think it would make a very interesting double-feature with Tobe Hooper's Eggshells. [Smile]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I have the Anchor Bay double feature from 2005, and it wasn't top quality for Anchor Bay, but I was happy to have those two in any form. I first saw the Season of the Witch cut on VHS way back around 1983.

I thick that the early 1970s had some of the most interesting directors and films ever. Even when guys like Romero weren't on their A-game, the films are still better than 90% of the crap released today.

This topic comprises 47 pages: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home