iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 37)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Few tapes i just got:

Modern Day Houdini (1983), The Caller (1987), Hostage Flight (1985), Goodbye Pork Pie (1981),
Behind Enemy Lines (1985), Fever (1988), Mob Busters (1985), Summer Camp (1979)

-

Laguna Heat (1987), Buy and Cell (1987), Wildest Dreams (1987), Miracle Landing (1990)
Bloody Mama (1970), Act of Violence (1979), Maxie (1985), H-Bomb (1971)

-

Last Lives (1997), Anna to the Infinite Power (1983), The Slams (1973), Alvin Rides Again (1974)

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Pretty cool set there warrior. I´d like to get my hands on Stone Cold.
Any new extra material on The Monster Squad?

Sadly the Monster Squad Blu Ray which is from Olive Films is bonus free but on the positive side the picture quality is really good!

Loads of cool looking pick ups there Atomik would like to check out Maxie and Buy And Cell in particular!

[ 18. July 2016, 13:26: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! The Caller (1987) with Malcolm McDowell and Madolyn Smith Osborne. What a memorably weird little two-character Charles Band thing! It's a film with terrific acting by the pair and an ending right out of thin air that you won't guess in a million years. If you haven't seen, don't read any spoilers, and try to find it. It's a different, cool low-budget film.

[ 21. July 2016, 06:34: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've added four vintage Brigitte LaHaie titles to my collection.

They're presented on two double-feature dvds released by the Alpha France archives :

- La Maison Des Phantasmes (1979) / Couple Cherche Esclaves Sexuels (1979)

- La Perversion D'Une Jeune Mariée (1978) / Auto-Stoppeuses En Chaleur (1979)

Nice quality prints with original French audio, as well as dubbed English. The first one features
a 42 minute interview with LaHaie herself, while the second has a full hour of additional LaHaie scenes
from various other vintage Alpha France titles.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The films of Bridget Lahaie. You're a sick, sick man. Love it!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take that as a compliment ! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Oh definitely. You are a man after my own heart. Lahaie was always pretty entertaining in her work with Jess Franco.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
My package for july arrived early. Lots and lots of good stuff, both US and UK imports, including :

- 4 new Arrow combopacks (Return Of The Killer Tomatoes, The Swinging Cheerleaders, Satan's Blade, and Crimes Of Passion)

- All 5 Vinegar Syndrome's that were released yesterday, including Petey Wheatstraw ; The Devil's Son In Law (1977)
and The Candy Tangerine Man / Lady Cocoa (both 1975) on combopacks

- Scream Factory's The Return Of The Living Dead collector's edition, as well as Death Wish 2 on blu-ray

- The Severin double-disc release of Dr. Butcher M.D. / Zombi Holocaust, and Grindhouse Releasing's 3-disc edition of
Lucio Fulci's Cat In The Brain, both stacked to the max with extra's

- Various other UK imports include Highlander (30th anniversary edition) and Absolute Beginners, both on blu-ray

And also this very cool feature-length documentary about independent filmmaker Jim VanBebber :

-

Lots of double-dipping this time.. but hey, that's part of what being a collector is all about,
and it certainly does not make me feel less happy about this beautiful package ! [Big Grin]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Gotta love your stuff, my friend. You can't go wrong with the great Rudy Ray Moore. I saw Dr. Butcher, M.D. at the seediest Philadelphia grindhouse the day that it opened. What an experience! It was distributed, not by an exploitation giant like New World, Avco Embassy, or Cannon, but by New York City's Terry Levene and Aquarius Releasing. I love those guys like Levene, Jerry Gross, Brandon Chase, and Joseph Brenner, trying to peddle foreign crap to the urban market, basically with only a few prints in a few cities at a time, all from "headquarters" located in a walk-up in some trashy neighborhood. Levene was great because he always used the booming voice of Adolph Caesar in his trailers. And his, as they used to say, "ballyhoo" promoting the films was something else. For Butcher, he parked an ambulance outside the theatre with fake doctor and nurses with rubber body parts. Those were the good old days where you got a show inside and outside the theatre. I would have loved to have been around to see these guys dreaming up ad campaigns or sitting in a cigarette-smoke haze in some dismal editing room making stuff more accessible to U.S. audiences. Frank Henenlotter got a favorable quote for his film Frankenhooker from Bill Murray, of all people, who was editing Quick Change in an adjoining editing studio. Can you picture that image? Bill Murray watching the rough cut of Frankenhooker? Fantastic!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your knowledge is killing me Crash. I wish I would've paid more attention to this stuff when I was younger, and gone to film school at NYU. I'd love to have the knowledge to write and direct/produce indie films.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a load of DVDs at the dollar store. Here is a list, and I am hoping maybe some of you can give me any info on two of them, as I can't find any information on them on IMdb. They are all from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment.
Bordertown: seasons 1&2
Legacy The Complete Series
A Hallmark Channel pack: Thicker Than Water, Angel in the Family, What I Did For Love, Terror in the Family, Ordinary Miracles
3 Classic Films: Mark Twain's "Roughing It", The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn
Due South, Season One (my husband liked this- I have never seen it)
The Hurricane Express (John Wayne)
And a cheesetastic Action Pack: 7 Movies!: The Kansas City Massacre, Fist of Honor, Forced to Kill, Maximum Cage Fighting, East L.A. Warriors, Street Killing, and The Million Dollar Highjack
I can't find The Million Dollar Highjack on IMDb.
There is no description of Street Killing either.
Thanks for any help. I can't wait to watch the 7 Movie Action Pack. I will probably watch them at camp in the late fall/ early winter. My Dad gave me a small DVD player and I am going to hook it up there soon.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I know. Sigh. I'm a frustrated imrov sketch comedian/voice-over artist/writer-director. Maybe there's time for a career change to narrating audio books. LOL

I love the rewind because I get the chance to keep obscure or lost film history alive with these posts. And I hope that I succeed in giving my fellow film-buff friends a taste of what it was really like to see stuff in a scary grindhouse 30 or 40 years ago or work at a drive-in as a projectionist showing stuff like Gone in 60 Seconds and Amuck. We never thought twice about risking our lives at those seedy venues. Now, you don't even have the opportunity anymore. As I grow older, I even get nostalgic and have fond memories of trying not to retch from the smell in that Philadelphia theatre or get stabbed in the balcony. Movie-going was once an adventure!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
By the way PGH girl, my son, who is at Duquesne grad school, is a waiter at the Melting Pot in Station Square. If you ever get over there, ask for Alec. (Of course he's named after Alec Guinness. [Smile] )
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up these today from a huge shopping mall an LP and a DVD -

-

Queen A Kind Of Magic Lp and the Pierce Brosnan movie The November Man on Dvd which for some reason has been released more or less everywhere except the UK due I imagine to no one yet picking it up for distribution!

That cheesetastic action 7 pack sounds fun Pittsburghgirl though the names of the titles don't ring any bells!

[ 30. July 2016, 14:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Thanks YW. They must be some seriously obscure movies.
November Man was good if I am remembering the correct movie. I remember while eating breakfast at the Hilton Airport in Dublin every morning, I'd see his picture. They had pictures of famous Irish persons all around the dining room.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Gotta love your stuff, my friend. I saw Dr. Butcher, M.D. at the seediest Philadelphia grindhouse the day that it opened. What an experience! It was distributed, not by an exploitation giant like New World, Avco Embassy, or Cannon, but by New York City's Terry Levene and Aquarius Releasing.

There's a lot of background info on that among the extensive special features of this new 2-disc set.
Disc one is entirely devoted to the Dr. Butcher version, with multiple featurettes chronicling the distribution
through Aquarius , the re-editing of the Italian cut, and the advertising campaign, as well as a piece on
the NYC locations then-and-now, while disc two has its focus on the Zombi Holocaust cut,
with interviews with several of the original cast members and special effects artists.

Oh, and my copy came with a free barf-bag with Dr. Butcher print too. Lovely ! [Big Grin]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I like the zany Dr. Butcher, M.D., and would love to see the featurettes on re-cutting the film for the U.S. and the advertising campaign. I haven't seen Zombi Holocaust, another reason to get this special edition.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Picked up Disorganized Crime (1989) and Indian Summer (1993) at a thrift store. I remember I liked Indian Summer. I've never seen Dislrganized Crime.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Disorganized Crime I really enjoyed Pittsburghgirl I've got it on a cheap Blu Ray from the budget Us distributor Mill Creek Entertainment,it's a fun film with a great cast - Lou Diamond Phillips,Fred Gwynne,Corbin Bernsen etc. I think you'll probably like it!
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last BD I purchased was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Directors Cut). Perhaps it was silly to purchase it considering I have the theatrical cut on BD and the DC on DVD.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Latest Blu Ray pick ups - The Seven - Ups,Mystery Date,Invasion U.S.A and Secret Admirer.

[ 07. August 2016, 12:31: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad that the Secret Admirer blu is region A coded.
We need someone to tell Arrow that they must release more 80s sex comedies [Big Grin]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Region coding is such a pain,i'm lucky as all my Blu Ray players are region free but I know many people don't have that luxury and I know how frustrating it can be,Secret Admirer was MGM so I'd imagine someone's bound to pick it up for a European release at some point especially as there's already a HD master of it doing the rounds!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up The Money Pit on Blu Ray and a seriously cheap like new condition region 1 DVD of the 1986 comedy Playing For Keeps which I've never seen before but at the price it was going at I thought definitely worth a gamble!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most recent purchase: Superman 1/2/3 box set, Star Trek V, Star Trek (2009), Monster House, and St Elmo's Fire. The lot for £4.00....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home