iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 33)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  40  41  42   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just picked up the new Peanuts movie on Blu-ray...my two boys love this movie...I love this movie...win win....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 Blu-rays for a staggering $10 bucks in total! :

A Passage To India: looks pretty slow and boring...but willing to possibly give it a try...or should I...

The Princess Bride: shamefully, I,ve never seen this, and am not really drawn to it...but it,s an 80,s movie!

Labyrinth: I believe I,ve seen this as a kid, but don,t remember too much about it. Homage to Mr. Bowie regardless.

*For those keeping track, I may very well have just bought 3 movies I,m not convinced I,ll like! Couldn,t pass them up for $3.33 a pop!!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Labyrinth is really well made kevdug and pretty good fun,I've never seen Princess Bride but have heard numerous good things about it over the years,not sure I could manage A Passage To India unless I was suffering from insomnia and was looking for something to help me sleep!

Though in all truth I have heard that it also is a very well made movie!

-

I've just picked up my first vhs in an absolute age and that is the 1986 Michael Pare action cheesfest Marine Issue which also stars Tawny Kitaen and Charles Napier.

I have watched it before but it's another one that I remember very little from!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marine Issue/Instant Justice/Madrid Connection is a cool actioner.
Gotta love Pare and Tawny, talking about BIG hair [Smile]

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet her hair dresser has to use a pair of garden shears to get through that lot! [Big Grin]

[ 25. March 2016, 15:00: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Picked up a handful of movies this weekend.

On Blu-ray: Stand By Me, The Blues Brothers, and Galaxina/The Crater Lake Monster (Double Feature).

On DVD: Solarbabies (1986). Actually never heard of this one, but has a young Jami Gertz and Jason Patrick. It's a futuristic movie and looks like on the cover that they are playing...SPACE HOCKEY!!?? For that reason alone, I'm thinking this won't be a classic...but had to give it a try for $2.99!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Love Stand By Me and The Blues Brothers, never seen any of the others but I love Jami Gertz and I think that Solarbabies was not long before The Lost Boys at time when she was looking seriously great!

2 dollars 99 as well I think you can't go far wrong!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
3 Blu-rays for a staggering $10 bucks in total! :

A Passage To India: looks pretty slow and boring...but willing to possibly give it a try...or should I...

The Princess Bride: shamefully, I,ve never seen this, and am not really drawn to it...but it,s an 80,s movie!

Labyrinth: I believe I,ve seen this as a kid, but don,t remember too much about it. Homage to Mr. Bowie regardless.

*For those keeping track, I may very well have just bought 3 movies I,m not convinced I,ll like! Couldn,t pass them up for $3.33 a pop!!

Passage To India is one you need to watch when you have a whole afternoon with nothing else to do. It's a great movie that you need to watch in a single session, and is slow but intense.

Princess Bride - shame on you, watch it. Watch it now!!!

Labyrinth is cool for much more than Bowie.

My purchases today: Firefly, Extant season one, and Barbarella...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Thanks Paul. I might just watch Passage To India when I retire...so...15 more years or so! I will definitely put Princess Bride on the radar...I'm afraid that because I didn't see this as a kid, it may not wow me...but I'll try!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Got a blu ray coming of Francis Ford Coppola's excellent 1983 drama Rumble fish featuring an all star cast including Matt Dillon,Mickey Rourke,Diane Lane and the late Chris Penn.

-

Also picked up on DVD (made on demand disc - DVD-R) the low budget 1985 cheesy horror movie The Falling which also goes under the alternate titles of Alien Predators and here in the uk where it was known as Mutant 2 which was just to cash in on the successful Wings Hauser,Bo Hopkins original Mutant aka Night Shadows that the same company had released one year prior!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Also a mixture of movie fridge magnets I've got over the last few months!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Tuff Turf magnet. Sweet!
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Falling is one film i´ve wanted to see for a long time. Deran Sarafian did few interesting low-budget films back in the late 80s-early 90s.
I especially like the vampire flick To Die For.

Finnish The Falling vhs cover art

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of very cool new stuff, including these awesome Vinegar Syndrome releases :

-  -

Pigs (1973) on a fully loaded blu-ray + dvd combopack, and the adult classic Sex World (1978) on blu-ray.

-  -

Roger Watkins' Corruption (1983) on a blu-ray + dvd combopack (with the complete Last House On Dead End Street
included as an easter egg), and Blue Ice (1985) also on a blu-ray + dvd combopack.

Another batch of Vinegar Syndrome titles is coming april 26th !

I also got this :

-

Over 2 hours of vintage Hong Kong martial-arts trailers from the 1972 - 1983 period, including the mind-boggling
Chinese Kung Fu Against Godfather (1974) which was shot right here in Holland, of all places !

More to follow..

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My latest Shout- and Scream Factory purchases :

-  -
 -  -

And also upgraded my old Pieces dvd to blu-ray :

-

And i'm very glad that i did !

This may very well be the most impressive transfer of this type of movie i have ever seen. It's beyond spectacular !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the DVD version of Murders in the Rue Morgue years ago. Despite it's weak reputation, I've always really liked it. It is colorful, has a great cast, and is well directed by Gordon Hessler. It was a revelation to see the completely restored version, un-messed-with by AIP. It made me like the film even more. While it may seem old school, it's quite original in style and plotting. I'm sure that it looks terrific on Bluray.

I like The Dunwich Horror horror too. While it is a product of its time and is a little dated, I think that it's a fine adaptation of Lovecraft.

As for Pieces...ROFL. I first saw it in a downtown Philadelphia grindhouse way back when. I chuckled a lot because of the anachronisms--I think that there is a touch-tone phone in the flashback sequence--and the overriding way-out-there nastiness of the whole enterprise. (The murder of the girl in the locker room, in particular, is just so mean spirited.) It's one of those enjoyable exploitation films where you just scratch your head in disbelief because it's both inspired and stupid, sometimes in the same scene. I'm glad that someone did the transfer justice.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Grindhouse Releasing definitely pulled out all the stops for this one..
Believe it or not, but this new Pieces edition even comes with a soundtrack CD !

Funny thing about Murders In The Rue Morgue : I received this new blu-ray edition along with
Hessler's Rage Of Honor (the Arrow release from the US).. Talk about how diverse a career can get ! [Big Grin]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
By the way, i also bought Miller's Crossing (1990) and Barton Fink (1991) recently..
and decided it was time to catch up with more recent stuff from the Coen brothers,
so i got No Country For Old Men (2007) and True Grit (2010) as well.

All four are Dutch blu-ray editions, but they're most likely identical to their US and UK counterparts.

I'm especially happy with Barton Fink.. i like that one ! [Smile]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing are probably my two favorite Coen brothers films. They're both great. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Hessler did have a diverse career: some quite good horror films, such as The Oblong Box, Cry of the Banshee, Scream and Scream Again, and Murders in the Rue Morgue (most written or co-written by the great Christopher Wicking); fantasy--The Golden Voyage of Sinbad; the Sho Kosugi stuff; Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park; and lots and lots of TV epsiodes. He's one of those guys who always did a pro job but never really got the credit he deserved.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

That's a bit of a coincidence as I've just been sent Rage Of Honor on Blu Ray along with Child 44 from my online rental service,watched Rage of Honor and while it was nowhere near the standards of Revenge Of The Ninja or if memory serves me right Pray For Death it was still action packed and quite good fun!

Not watched Child 44 yet so if anyone has already checked this one out and can give me a heads up on what it is like I would be grateful.

-

If you are a fan of Sho Kosugi's Rage Of Honor steer clear of the UK 101 Films blu ray release what i watched and do what Johnny Roarke has done and opt for the US Arrrow Films release,main reason being 101 Films has been supplied a 4.3 HD print by MGM and you can see above from my TV how it displays (you could zoom the picture out but it doesn't do the picture quality any Favour's) plus the Arrow release is stacked with extras whilst the 101Films release only comes with the films trailer!

quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
The Falling is one film i´ve wanted to see for a long time. Deran Sarafian did few interesting low-budget films back in the late 80s-early 90s.
I especially like the vampire flick To Die For.

Finnish The Falling vhs cover art

-

The Falling I haven't watched for ages,last time I watched it was the old UK VHS rental version from Entertainment In Video under the title of Mutant 2 though there's no connection between this and the 1984 Wings Hauser,Bo Hopkins original.

-
Front cover with pretty cool retro type artwork!

Do remember it being pretty low budget and in all truth not a great movie but there was definitely something about it I liked hence the revisit all these years later!

I'll watch it again soon and let you know my feelings about it now!

Here's the back cover -

-

[ 07. April 2016, 15:20: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Got a few movies on there way so I'll do a movie pick up picture and list shortly but here's a few 7" vinyl singles that I have picked up lately -

-

Chequered Love - Kim Wilde - https://youtu.be/UNjFm7CoE84

Crazy - Icehouse - https://youtu.be/xzMaptbNMRw

You Don't Know - Berlin - https://youtu.be/A6E4GOAI2t4

High School Nights - Dave Edmund's - From Porky's Revenge Soundtrack -
https://youtu.be/U0c7zs9nPhM

Here's one blu/dvd that has turned up and that is My copy of Rumble Fish on Blu Ray (Below),not had chance to check out what it looks like yet or to see what any of the extras are like so i'm looking forward to that!

-

[ 07. April 2016, 09:56: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assault and Matrimony 1987, the love bug 1997 and a rare Lawrence Welk show with the Lennon Sisters new
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Just picked up "Born On The 4th Of July" on Blu-ray. I know I've seen this when it first came out, but I don't remember too much about it. I remember liking it!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up 88 Films Blu Ray release of Creepshow 2 plus the Arrow Films limited edition Blu ray of Bride Of Reanimator and lastly my first VHS pick up for ages Marine Issue aka Instant Justice starring Michael Pare.

Bit disappointed with the Bride Of Reanimator packaging,does look nice but it is slightly flimsy,mine had some pretty bad creases down the spine and I've heard a lot of other people complain about the packaging!

This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  40  41  42   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home