iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 26)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  40  41  42   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
I picked up Aliens the other day. This movie is pretty bad compared with the original. It's not terrible but it really aint that great.

I thought I was the only one who felt like this!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would get slammed for saying this. Glad you agree Helen. The first one is a pretty great movie but this one is just plagued with bad acting, bad story and having the little girl (with the 200 IQ) in it was pathetic.

I think good directors know that more suspense = a better film so not seeing the alien that much is better than seeing aliens all over the place with millions of bullets flying all over the shop. Perhaps in Jaws it was unintentional but not seeing the shark much = more suspense which resulted in a better movie. You kinda have to refrain from giving the audience what they want cos once they get it they don't want it. For this movie they decided to do Alien on steroids and thought this would be grounds for a better film. I know it was a big hit but for me this movie fails miserably compared with the original (like most sequels I guess).

[ 15. November 2015, 16:05: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always feel that Aliens dialogue in particular, is emblematic of the time in which it was made. Cameron loves his machismo and militaristic fetishism, but it's been copied so many times it just seems dated now. They're supposed to be elite marines, but they come across as a bunch of sloppy cowboys.

"She heard alien and she thought they meant illegal alien!"

Yeah Cameron, because hundreds of years in the future 'Hispanic' as a minority will really be a thing in the continental US.

Having said that; dated dialogue and bull**** machismo aside, it's still an entertaining action movie. It doesn't really live up to the hype though. But if it was viewed away from the 'stone-cold-classic' rhetoric, I think most people would enjoy it.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More stuff, decided to get few more Reynolds films before the marathon:

100 Rifles (1969)

-

Sam Whiskey (1969)

-

Impasse (1969)

-

Spaghetti at Midnight (1981)

-

Codename: Wildgeese (1984)

-

The Trip to Bountiful (1985)

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, sexy Italian comedy you have there, aTomiK.. love it ! [Smile]

I got myself these very cool German imports :

-

The Counselor (1973) directed by Alberto De Martino

-

Day Of The Cobra (1980) directed by Enzo G Castellari

-

Bloody Payroll (1976) directed by Mario Caiano

-

Chopper Squad (1975) directed by Sergio Martino

-

Like Rabid Dogs (1975) directed by Mario Imperoli
(not to be confused with Mario Bava's Kidnapped aka Rabid Dogs)

-

Short Night Of Glass Dolls (1971) directed by Aldo Lado

This is the brand new Camera Obscura 2-disc set, which comes with two commentaries (with optional English subtitles),
and a recently recorded 98 minute long Aldo Lado interview.. wow !

-

Delirium (1972) directed by Renato Polselli

This is the German 2-disc set, limited to 1000 copies (and completely out-of-print), which has no less than
4 (radically different) versions of the movie, plus commentary and 30 more minutes of deleted footage !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo hoo for Short Night of Glass Dolls!!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Wow, 4 versions! I've been put off buying Delirium in the past cos they said it was chopped to pieces.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With at least 4 versions floating around it's hard to tell which one is considered to be the original.
The Anchor Bay dvd (which was later re-issued through Blue Underground) actually does have 2 versions as well.
With the Italian version running well over 100 minutes i think it's fair to assume it's the most complete version.

The movie itself.. well.. it's sleazy as hell.. That i can tell ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Anchor Bay version of Delirium, a completely nutty Polselli film like The Reincarnation of Isabel, and I'd always assumed that it was the longest uncut version. Sleazy doesn't even begin to describe Polselli's stuff. The films are way over the top, and Rita Calderoni is something else. [Smile]

[ 18. November 2015, 08:54: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just got the 1987 Patrick Dempsey comedy - in the mood aka the woo woo kid on region 1 us Dvd (mod dvd-r release) released by Warner archives.

Not seen this in years so looking forward to checking it out again!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty good Dempsey film that one!
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Pretty good Dempsey film that one!

Is there any other kind...
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
April Fool
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37390

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for April Fool   Email April Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchased:

Santa Claus:The Movie
King Kong (the 70s version)
Micki and Maude
Casablanca
Cape Fear (60s version)
No Mercy
An Affair to Remember
White Christmas

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -  -

Get Mean (1975) blu-ray + dvd combopack and David Cronenberg's The Brood (1979), the Criterion edition !

-  -

The American Dreamer (1971) blu-ray + dvd combopack and Mosquito (1995), Synapse Films' 20th Anniversary edition !

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Even though i'm approaching 40, i still seem to have a soft spot for teen- / coming-of-age movies.

In the past three or four years we've had The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, The Art Of Getting By,
It's Kind Of A Funny Story, and of course The Way Way Back.. And today i've added this to my collection :

-

Paper Towns (2015)

I don't know a whole lot about this one, but the trailer makes it look pretty decent.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGiHm5WMLk

[ 27. November 2015, 15:16: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I also love coming of age films! Paper Towns trailer looks good, stopped watching it though because i don´t wanna know too much.
Definitely going to get this one so thanks for the heads up once again!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Got myself a few new fridge magnets and also picked up a few dvd's/blu rays,with some of the fridge magnets I've been stripping of the magnet and sticking them to some of the sides of my dvd/blu ray shelfing (below)

-

So far i've got - Rambo 2,twilight zone - the movie,so fine,escape from new york,the gauntlet and an american werewolf in london fridge magnets stuck to this shelf . (by the way the soft toys aren't mine)

-

Picked up on DVD at a really good price the chuck Norris tripple feature,got it mostly for - the hitman as I already own forced vengeance,hellbound I've seen but remember very little so looking forward to checking that out also.

Alone with her a voyeuristic thriller starring tom Hank's son Colin,got this for under 2 UK pounds,watched it quite some time back and think I remember it being decent,also in a 2 for 10 pounds deal I picked up - cold in July and - the guest on blu ray.

I also like coming of age flicks,i think that - paper towns looks pretty decent johnny.

[ 29. November 2015, 05:53: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by April Fool:
I recently purchased:

Santa Claus:The Movie
King Kong (the 70s version)
Micki and Maude
Casablanca
Cape Fear (60s version)
No Mercy
An Affair to Remember
White Christmas

No mercy is a pretty underatted flick and I've watched Micki and Maude a few times that's quite good fun as well,some great pick ups there April fool.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
 -  -

Get Mean (1975) blu-ray + dvd combopack and David Cronenberg's The Brood (1979), the Criterion edition !

-  -

The American Dreamer (1971) blu-ray + dvd combopack and Mosquito (1995), Synapse Films' 20th Anniversary edition !

Have you watched mosquito yet johnny,that looks like being good fun.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Nah, my still-to-watch pile keeps growing and growing.. I always do check them out though, for a couple of minutes or so,
to see what the menus look like, what's actually on the disc, and to get an overall impression of the quality..

I rarely buy movies from the 1990's, but i think this one fits in perfectly with stuff like Ticks (1993)
and Night Of The Scarecrow (1995). [Smile]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Nah, my still-to-watch pile keeps growing and growing.. I always do check them out though, for a couple of minutes or so,
to see what the menus look like, what's actually on the disc, and to get an overall impression of the quality..

I rarely buy movies from the 1990's, but i think this one fits in perfectly with stuff like Ticks (1993)
and Night Of The Scarecrow (1995). [Smile]

When you get around to watching mosquito johnny if you get chance you'll have to let us know what it is like.

-

Picked up a really cheap DVD copy of the 1990 Australian drama - the crossing starring russell crowe,never seen this one before so looking forward to checking it out!

[ 30. November 2015, 08:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
More stuff, decided to get few more Reynolds films before the marathon:

Codename: Wildgeese (1984)

-

Not seen this in a while,they actually had the full movie as an extra on the arrow films blu ray release of - wild geese (1978).

I've seen - commando leopard as well but can't remember what it was like,one things for certain though and that is Lewis Collins must have been a brave man to work with Klaus kinski twice,they reckon he was a right nut job on set!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I would´ve stayed far away from Kinski, that´s for sure! That poor fella who decided to ask Nastassja for a date... [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just got these:

-

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Campus man
Age isn't everything
Gotcha
Once bitten
High School USA
Adventures in babysitting

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  40  41  42   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home