iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » MAD (magazine)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MAD (magazine)
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'm sure it was most of us, but who remembers reading this in the 80s(or earlier/later)? Do you still read it?

My older brother used to collect it(87-91), and I can remember checking it out -- when he wasn't looking, of course. I always enjoyed the  - segment.

What were your favourite parts? Favourite issue?

-

"In 1999, Brøderbund/The Learning Company released Totally Mad, a Microsoft Windows 95/98 compatible CD-ROM set collecting the magazine's content from #1 through #376 (December 1998), plus over 100 Mad Specials including most of the recorded audio inserts."

cough!
 -

[ 09. January 2016, 09:30: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my favorite reading material in the 70s and 80s along with the similar magazine CRACKED.

Spy vs Spy was a highlight for me also and the stickers of food products were great. They would change the name and description to something funny. Remember those? I don't have many copies anymore but I have scored a few lately at estate sales. One of them has Hulk Hogan on the cover.

Always like the back cover, you would fold it over a couple times and make a completely different picture. That may have been CRACKED mag.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon that folded picture thing was in Mad cos I remember it from about 1991 in grade 5.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The folded pic was definitely in Mad. I still have these magazines, i just have to find them.
Thanks for reminding this J2ME, it´ll be fun to read the movie spoofs (and other stuff) again. I´ll be back!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early on In the Goonies, Mikey is reading a Mad magazine.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here´s few finnish MAD magazines i have.
They also published these "theme" editions here. for example the mag with the Psycho cover includes movie spoofs only:
The Exorcist, The Shining, Psycho, King Kong, Jaws, Coma, The Amityville Horror, The Omen and Gremlins. Fun stuff!

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
Early on In the Goonies, Mikey is reading a Mad magazine.

- He was reading issue 208:

-

quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Here´s few finnish MAD magazines i have.
They also published these "theme" editions here. for example the mag with the Psycho cover includes movie spoofs only:
The Exorcist, The Shining, Psycho, King Kong, Jaws, Coma, The Amityville Horror, The Omen and Gremlins. Fun stuff!

-

That's awesome, aTomiK!
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Love the Pacman issue aTomik.

Hey, thanx J2ME. After I noticed it in the movie it made me want it. Awesome you posted the Goonie pic specially since I don't have to do anymore research on it. I love this site!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched this great 50 minute documentary Tales from the Crypt: From Comic Books to Television (2004) the other day.
It can be found on the Tales from the Crypt season one bonus disc.
EC comics publisher William Gaines founded MAD magazine in 1952 with editor Harvey Kurtzman.
MAD is only small part of the documentary but if you want to know more about the company and the creators this is essential stuff.

Awesome Goonies clip J2ME!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Thanx for the tip aTomik.

Saw another MAD magazine in another 80s movie. It was Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Around the 10-15 minute mark when Caine and Martin are on the train. Martin is the one reading it.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Good eye!

-

I love that movie.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels has some huge laugh-out-loud moments. I love it too. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collected MAD as a kid. In my younger years, I didn't really get the humor, but collected because I loved the covers. I still have most issues from the 80's and lots from the 70's and dig them out once in a while....still love love love the covers. One of my fav covers is #245 from 1984 with Alfred peeing the numbers 1984 in the snow...I actually leave this one out for display in my 80's room. Also love the covers depicting some of my fav movies and TV shows....gremlins, back to the future, ET, greatest American hero, raiders, etc, etc. Great memories....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I still have most issues from the 80's and lots from the 70's and dig them out once in a while....still love love love the covers. One of my fav covers is #245 from 1984 with Alfred peeing the numbers 1984 in the snow...I actually leave this one out for display in my 80's room.

-

That's great, Kev. I'm sure your 80s room is awesome!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

I remember that copy kevdog. We share the same interests in mad mag covers. That's great that you kept all yours. I have no idea what happened to mine [Confused]
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the pic J!

aTomik....I really love the Psycho 2 cover...might try to scoop one on ebay....US/Canadian covers are the same, but we never had the Psycho 2 cover...one of my favs!

TNTPool...not all my originals from when I was a kid...I collected them periodically....weird...I'd collect them for a while...stop...collect again....but never threw any out! Even was trying to keep up with some of the newer stuff, but stopped dead in my tracks when they started adding color....ruined the magazine for me....still love looking at the new covers in the news stands, but never buy anymore.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

I understand kevdog. I wish I kept more stuff from my childhood. Really have no idea what happened to a lot of stuff.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Here's another one J2ME. On the Goonies DVD outtakes there was a MAD magazine in the convenience store. Its pretty obvious too.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Spootted a MAD MAG IN THE LOST BOYS. When the vampires are in Michaels house and sometime before Keifer confronts Michael going up the stairs there is a MAD on the floor
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Robbie is reading Captain America in the original Poltergeist but in the sequel Poltergeist II: The Other Side he´s sleeping with Mad Magazine. [Smile]

-

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
MAD was definitely as read for kids that were a bit older...so....nice transition!!

As you know, I just finished watching Poltergeist, so may try to catch up with part 2 this week. Though that will mean I'll have to see the creepiest guy in the world again!!! [Eek!]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 -

What an awesome cover!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home