iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Judd Nelson

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Judd Nelson
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who else finds Judd Nelson to be a very talented actor?
Who else has seen loads of his films, what did you think of them?

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underrated actor, example: Relentless. The movie is pretty standard cliched B-movie stuff--mismatched cop partners, mad dog killer on the loose, etc.--elevated almost single-handedly by Nelson's truly excellent performance as a serial killer. The way he carries himself and his sad, burned-out appearance is great. I think that it's his best performance--and one of the best villains from that era. I only wish that the rest of Relentless had been up to his standard.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i always thought judd nelson played a really creepy serial killer in the excellent 1989 thriller - relentless where he pulls out a random name from the phonebook and then proceeds to kill the unlucky individual in question.

-

also i thought he was great in the 1984 comedy - making the grade.

both great films chloe if you have not seen i reckon you should check them out!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really enjoyed relentless crash,i thought robert loggia was really great as leo rossi's cop partner but judd nelson definitely steals the show!

i would agree that his performance as buck taylor in relentless is probably one of if not
his most convincing performance to date.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's an obvious one but not many people of his age could have done a better job at John Bender. He played that role to perfection and his performance really keeps you interested.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie, that's my second favorite Judd Nelson performance. He's spot on. It's just so disappointing that he doesn't get the recognition that some contemporaries get.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know! There are some actors these days that are horrible but they get role after role for some unexplained reason.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen: Making The Grade, The Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, and Blue City. They are the only Judd Nelson films I've seen but I really want to see more. I'm currently in the middle of watching From The Hip.

Also, I also think he gave a brilliant performance as John Bender, Judd Nelson is truly very talented, and very under-rated.

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've got - from the hip sat on my shelf,I picked it up a couple of months back but have yet to see it,I will do shortly.

Let's us know if you get chance what you thought of it Chloe.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I was one of the few people who actually saw From the Hip in a theatre, way, way back in 1987. (Has it really been almost 30 years?) I thought it was fun. I saw it later on TV and was less than enthusiastic. It has a nice cast--Nelson, Elizabeth Perkins, Darren McGavin, Ray Walston, and John Hurt--and it is directed by the great Bob Clarke, who did Porky's and A Christmas story, and the screenplay was by David E. Kelly, who did L.A. Law and Picket Fences on TV. So the pedigree of excellent elements is there, yet it's a shambling, not-really-well-written, unfocused thing that doesn't stay with you. The cast tries, but it comes off as fairly stupid and dull.

Relentless, Chloe, Relentless. You'll look at Judd Nelson in a completely different light and say to yourself, "Wow. He has range!"

[ 29. May 2015, 22:04: Message edited by: Crash ]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
I've got - from the hip sat on my shelf,I picked it up a couple of months back but have yet to see it,I will do shortly.

Let's us know if you get chance what you thought of it Chloe.

Well, if you talking about From The Hip I watched the rest of it a couple of nights ago, and it was brilliant! It was a very interesting watch, and I really enjoyed it, it was funny in places too, I totally recommend it to any Judd Nelson fan.

I still need to watch Relentless, it looks awesome! But if I don't get around to watching it that's okay, I can already tell Judd Nelson is talented and a very versatile actor!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Chloe relentless to buy on DVD as a single release looks like it's become very expensive,it must have gone out of print and become very rare!

-

But they do it in this 4pk of movies which also has no mercy https://youtu.be/ehtJo9B98TQ starring Richard gere and Kim basinger which if you haven't seen I think is also well worth checking out.

It's 3 pounds and 32 pence in total which for two really great movies is not bad at all,not sure what the other 2 films are like on the set?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scenes-Crime-Relentless-Mercy-Region/dp/B008XJM8H8/ref=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1433102756&sr=1-11&keywords=Relentless+dvd

Also i'm Not sure if the disc is region coded as it's from the united states but if you have a multi region DVD player I reckon it's well worth checking out!

[ 31. May 2015, 16:07: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
Yes, I noticed it can get pretty pricey for this film! They want £32.99 for this on Amazon. Or they wanted £19.99 and I don't know if I'd be allowed to buy it anyway. Spent to much on Amazon lately, just brought a Judd Nelson poster. I also noticed a few of his films were pricey on Amazon, not just Relentless.
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
I've watch Relentless now! All I can say is I'm very impressed by Judd. He is very versatile, he played that character in a very creepy sort of way, that made him stand out. I can't put into words how impressed I am.

If I ever met Judd Nelson, I'd have to tell him what a terrific, versatile actor he is.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Yup. I thought that you'd like Relentless, Chloe. He's so creepy in Relentless. He has lots of range when given the opportunity.

[ 10. July 2015, 22:26: Message edited by: Crash ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I got around to watching from the hip a little while back,really enjoyed it but i did think the tone of the movie was all over the place.

One minute you got Judd Nelson getting involved in all these daft but amusing courtroom pranks and dancing around his house with his buddies dressed up as animals and it's all rather jolly then the next thing you're getting an in depth description of how john hurt's character bludgeoned some woman's head in with a hammer.

Talking of john hurt he definitely brought his a game here,wow! what a great performance and what a seriously talented actor,for me he definitely raises the movie a notch or two!

I noticed quite a few regulars from director Bob Clark's previous movies including Dan monahan (pee wee from the porky's movies) as well as a few other familiar faces from that series.

So i thought it was a pretty entertaining couple of hours overall and john hurt was just superb as the suspected hammer killer Douglas Benoit,boy did he come across as creepy!

I'm pleased you enjoyed relentless Chloe,I had a gut feeling you would!

[ 26. June 2015, 02:02: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
Well, I'm glad you liked From The Hip! I think it's a great movie. There were some very funny scenes in the movie!

Yes, Relentless was great! And how could I not like it, it's Judd Nelson. And he's just so awesome.

Hey, has anyone seen Fandango? I haven't seen it yet, but I really need to.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've never seen fandango Chloe but I've heard it's pretty great!

Kevin Costner is in it also.

Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
I've never seen fandango Chloe but I've heard it's pretty great!

Kevin Costner is in it also.

Yes, I heard Kevin Costner was in it! Also, I heard the reviews we very good, too.

I'll have to check it out soon!

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bog fan of Judd's too. He never got the credit that he deserved. Thought he should have been at least as big as Charlie Sheen. Loved making the grade. Still watch it from time to time. I remember watching a low budget 90's movie with him in it called conflict of interest. He deserves more exposure.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolenz85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 10835

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dolenz85   Email Dolenz85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fandango is an excellent film, very underrated and there's a great fan site that gives you all the knowledge you could ever need regards its making etc. I've been on the forum before and they are the nicest group of people you could hope to meet...

http://www.ultimatefandango.com

Posts: 78 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home