iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » In Memoriam (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: In Memoriam
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if there already is a general in-memoriam thread here, but sadly there are a whole bunch
of names that recently passed away that are worth remembering for all the entertainment they brought
to us over the years.. so i thought a thread dedicated to these people (whether from movies, music,
or whatever) would be in place here.

Just last week actor / producer / director Zalman King passed away at age 69.
King was probably best known for directing stylish soft-erotica in the 80s such as Two Moon Junction
and Wild Orchid, and producing 9 1/2 Weeks. In the early days of his career, he also acted in many movies
such as the beloved cult items Trip With The Teacher and Blue Sunshine.

Passed away on the same day is veteran actor Ben Gazzara who we probably best remember for playing
the main villain in Road House (1989). He was in way too many movies to mention here.

Renowned Greek filmmaker Theo Angelopoulos died two weeks ago after being run over by a motor-cycle
when crossing the street. He was 76.

At the end of last year, controversial British filmmaker Ken Russel passed away at age 84.
He was the director of Women in Love, The Who's movie adaptation of their rock opera Tommy, Altered States,
Crimes of Passion and Gothic. Shortly before he died he did an audio-commentary for an upcomming
UK dvd-release of his movie The Devils (1971).

In october of last year, actor Wyatt Knight committed suicide, but he also had cancer.
He is best known for playing the role of Tommy in all three Porky's movies.
He was 56 years old.

Actor Cliff Robertson passed away last september at age 88. In more recent years he played the part
of Ben Parker in all three Spider-Man movies.

May they all rest in peace.

Posts: 2179 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi my name is Noms.

Chuck and I approve this thread!

-

Noms [Cool]

[ 06. February 2012, 06:06: Message edited by: The Noms with no name... ]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always good to see Chuck around every now and then. [Smile]

I just took a quick look on the internet, and while Chuck isn't one of the youngest around anymore
(he will be 72 in march) , i'm pretty sure he isn't dead yet ! [Smile]

[ 06. February 2012, 06:23: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2179 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Who actually did pass away and who i forgot to mention in my original post, is Jimmy Sangster.

He was a British writer / filmmaker. The Imdb describes him as 'one of the creative, driving forces
behind the legendary Hammer Studios'.

As a director he made Horror of Frankenstein, Lust for a Vampire and Fear of the Night.

Jimmy Sangster died last august and was 83 years old.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad to see that so many talented people have passed away recently.

Chuck is alive and well and we can see him soon in Expendables 2.

He has lost some of his edge though:

"Action star Chuck Norris declared the script for "The Expendables 2" too vulgar,
and was upset by the idea that "many young people" would miss out.
"I said I won't be a part of that if the hardcore language is not erased," he told the Polish paper Gazeta, (via First Showing).
"Producers accepted my conditions and the movie will be rated PG-13."

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Hinzman, the cemetary zombie in the original "Night of the Living Dead," recently passed away.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Bill Hinzman, the cemetary zombie in the original "Night of the Living Dead," recently passed away.

Wow.. i didn't know that. Apparently he died of cancer.

Hinzman is well represented in the bonus-features on the US dvd releases of his movies
The Majorettes and Flesh Eater.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:

Just saw this on the local news this morning. He worked behind the camera in the re-make.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The death of Whitney Houston is all over the news this morning.
It's sad, but the news of her death didn't really come as a surprise, to be honest.
Reportedly her ex-husband Bobby Brown collapsed just hours after the Whitney Houston tragedy.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I found another obscure one that you probably won't be hearing in the news.

Kandi Barbour, actress during 'the golden age of adult cinema' and star of genre classics
The Budding of Brie (1980) and Neon Nights (1981), was found dead late january in San Francisco.
She was reportedly homeless at the time of her death. She was 55.

[ 23. February 2012, 09:48: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
As a fan of European cult cinema, i am shocked to hear about the death of Lina Romay.
She was the life-partner and muse of Spanish filmmaker Jess Franco for about 40 years, and
starred in over 100 movies.
Reportedly she passed away on february 15th after losing her battle with cancer.
Lina Romay was 57.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda Romay a/k/a Candy Coster, RIP. Franco's had a lot of tragedy with the sad deaths of his muses Soledad Miranda and Romay. He keeps on going, year after year, adding to his filmography though.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Still feeling sad about Lina's death.. and i wonder if Jess will ever recover, or that this
may be the end of his career.

Someone made this fantastic little tribute to Lina whose real name was Rosa Maria Almirall Martinez :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcPvnvPGg8

Never forget

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Adam Yauch from The Beastie Boys died of cancer at age 47, was just in the news here. [Frown]

[ 05. May 2012, 04:34: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
On monday june 25th, my cat died of cancer from which he initially recovered after an operation
on december 30th.

He passed away in our backyard while i was there right beside him.

I'm very proud and happy that we have spent 13 years of our lifes together.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, poor kitty. I love cats. Funny thing is when I went to Amsterdam there were cats everywhere. Every shop seemed to be inhabited by at least one cat. One of my mates has a cat that he got in 1992. I have not spoke to him in a bout a year but last time I did his cat was still kicking.

Sorry, for your loss but like you said I am sure you shared some good times.

They are marvelous creatures.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Thanks Bernie !

Coming from the nest of a straycat, he was barely old enough to be taken away from the
mothercat when i got him.

Throughout his life he always retained that agressive, predatory edge to his character..
and i have the scars to prove it !

It certainly wasn't a tame little kitty you could pick up bare-handed and get away with it unharmed.
That's for sure ! [Smile]

Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oscar-nominated writer/director Nora Ephron ("When Harry Met Sally", "Sleepless in Seattle") has died earlier today from leukemia at age 71, with her husband, fellow screenwriter Nicholas Pileggi by her side.
Posts: 4130 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie James Dio.

Return If Possible.

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Ernest Borgnine passed away at the respectable high age of 95.

He starred in countless movies and tv series. Highlights include From Here to Eternity,
The Dirty Dozen, The Wild Bunch (arguably the greatest American western) and The Poseidon Adventure.

Ernest Borgnine won an Oscar in 1956 for his role as the title character in Marty.

Most of us who grew up in the 80s will fondly remember him as Dominic Santini in tv-series Airwolf.

Here's an interview with mr. Borgnine recorded less than 3 months ago :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzYJLAiO_E
(keep in mind that the guy was 95 at the time of this interview!)

Besides the talent of playing both comedic as well as dramatic roles, he always seemed to be
one of the kindest people you could ever meet.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard this myself.

I remember him best from The Dirty Dozen, The Wild Bunch, Emperor of the North Pole (another classic),
Convoy, Escape from New York (the fun Cabbie) and he also had a cool role in Wes Craven´s Deadly Blessing.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

7 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank Frazetta (1928-2010)

R.I.P genius.

| Site Updates: 7 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Sage Stallone (son of Sylvester Stallone) was found dead on july 13th.

Sage acted in movies such as Rocky V and Daylight alongside his father.
But more interestingly, he was co-founder of Grindhouse Releasing, a company dedicated to the
restoration and preservation of exploitation films. They worked on the dvd releases of
Italian gore classics such as The Beyond, Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox.
If i remember correctly, there were some photos of Sage together with Italian director Umberto Lenzi
to be found in the special features of the Cannibal Ferox dvd.

Sage was only 36 years old.

[ 16. July 2012, 14:08: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Deep Purple's Jon Lord has lost his fight against cancer.
He sadly passed away today at the age of 71.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
My friend e-mailed me the sad news earlier today.
Jon Lord will be missed.

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home