iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Which Rewinders Play a Musical Instrument?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Rewinders Play a Musical Instrument?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just curious too see who here is a musician or at least fiddles around with instruments from time to time.

If you can, can you please let me know what you play and if possible post a picture or two of your equipment.

-

From left to right:

The Fender is the first guitar I bought and has quite a crisp sound. My only complaint is that the action is too high.

The Epiphone acoustic is a guitar that i picked up last year in London. I went overseas and missed playing music and thought that I might as well get one in Soho as many of the guitar greats from the past have done. Not the best guitar by any means but it still sounds good which I guess is the main thing.

The Epiphone electric is the first electric I ever bought after I got my severance pay from one of my old jobs for having a history of Mondayitis. It's a great guitar but let's face it a copy of a Gibson just doesn't cut it.

The Gibson Les Paul Ebony 2010. I just got this last Friday. My old man rang me up and said, "Do you want a Gibson Les Paul and I was like yeah. So he says that he just bought it and that I should go and pick it up from the store. I dunno what came over him but with a doubt the nicest thing anyone has ever done from me. This guitar is an absolute beast. It is highly recommended.

Photo of Gibson LP by itself:

-

Anyone else care to tell us about their musical talents/instruments?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i may not be a musician.. but besides movies, i also consider myself to be a
record-collector with over 6500 items thus far, vinyl only !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

That's extremely cool

We are DEVO

I collected CD's, all bought, even though if Itunes existed 20 years ago, I would have saved a boatload of $$$.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to play the cello until I graduated from high school. The cello didn't belong to me, the school let us use them. I had a really beautiful one my senior year- kind of a blondish color. But I doubt I'd remember much if I picked one up today. My husband has been learning to play acoustic guitar off and on for the past few years. People already assume he is some sort of musician because he is tall and thin with lonnng beautiful hair. He also used to play sax until he went to high school where they would have forced him to join marching band, which he refused to do. We found his sax in his Mother's attic last year, and he can still play somewhat, lol.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Btw Bernie Lomax, nice collection! Can you recommend a middle-of-the line acoustic guitar to get for my husband? He really should be playing on a better quality instrument than what he has now. I am considering buying him one for Christmas. I'll probably just go to Guitar Center.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good acoustic brands include:

Epiphone

Fender

Gibson

Maton

Martin

Yamaha

Some of these guitars can get a bit pricy but if you want a decent instrument it is worth spending more. To get a good instrument though I reckon you could get something between the $300-$700 mark to begin with. Once he gets better and takes it seriously then maybe start looking at better equipment. Both my acoustics were about $400 each. I am now looking at getting another one much better. Mind you these have served me quite well for learning and practicing songs. Whatever you do though don't get roped into guitar stores trying to sell you like cheap starter kits that they always try and flog off - they are crap.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
I used to play the cello until I graduated from high school. The cello didn't belong to me, the school let us use them. I had a really beautiful one my senior year- kind of a blondish color. But I doubt I'd remember much if I picked one up today. My husband has been learning to play acoustic guitar off and on for the past few years. People already assume he is some sort of musician because he is tall and thin with lonnng beautiful hair. He also used to play sax until he went to high school where they would have forced him to join marching band, which he refused to do. We found his sax in his Mother's attic last year, and he can still play somewhat, lol.

The sax is a acool instrument. There is always someone playing it in the block of flats next door late at night. He can't play that good but it's not to bad either. Getting into music is awesome. I recommend it to anyone.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Johnny, that is a crazy collection. I thought my mates collection was massive and he probably has less than 500. I myself have about 7 records, 5 of them being Doors albums. It's a dismal collection I know.

Devo, I don't buy music at all anymore. I just go straight to Youtube.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie,
at least 5 out of 7 records from your collection are worth listening to over and over again..
so that's not bad at all [Smile]

I bought the Absolutely Live double-LP last week, which was in much better condition than the
one i already had.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a trumpet player and drummer. I played trumpet throughout high school. I was pretty decent, but like most folks who play this physically challenging instrument, my skills plateaued, I got frustrated, and I put the trumpet away because it had beaten me. When I went to college, I got a music scholarship for percussion. At the time, I had been playing drums for a few years as a second instrument but had never actually performed in public as a drummer. When I got to college marching band, they had to show me, scholarship winner, how to hook up my snare drum harness. [Smile]

About five years ago, since I had some free time, I began my trumpet comeback and started to practice fairly regularly. While I'm not ready to give up my day job, I play a lot better today than I did 30 years ago, and I've sat in with some bands in the past couple of years. It's really fun, yet kind of disheartening to know that I wasted all those years not practicing. If I had, today I'd be like Sting's former trumpet player, Chris Botti (or for my Aussie friends, your James Morrison), with best-selling albums, a public television concert, and beautiful women hanging off my arm. Then again, maybe not... [Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started playing organ at age 11 in 1983, it was the full on 2 hands, 2 feet kind of deelie.

In high school, I switched more to synths and keyboards, although I did continue on and get diplomas in musical theory and practice with the Australian Music Examination Board.

Age 14 I started playing at weddings and receptions and a few parties, then began to accompany singers and other musicians at various gigs.

I've had to basically give it up over the last few years to do arthritis in my fingers getting gradually worse. I've still got my keyboards, it's hard for me to sell them, they're like my babies!!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pittsburgh Girl, I had to re-read your post about your cello, I thought you said you cello was beautiful, a BLANDISH colour, and I was thinking, well since when has bland been beautiful? Luckily I reread and it all made sense!!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play guitar and sing...only acoustic guitar. Been playing for about 13-14 years....started late in University years. I still play the same Yamaha guitar my Aunt gave me back then, but would like to soon upgrade.

Back in the day, was always too chicken to sing in front of anybody, then gradually upgraded to singing in front of people....after a minimum of 6 beers! Last couple of years, have progressed to singing only after a couple of beers, and on occasison...with no beers at all....a work in progress. My favorite thing to do and a great stress release.

Hmmmmmm....maybe we could all start an 80's tribute band! Bernie on lead guitar, Johnny doing some background mixing with his turntable, Pitts on the cello, Paul on drums, Crash on the trumpet, and Stitch on the keyboards...I'll play backup guitar and sing.....after a few beers of course!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
My friends and I joked about forming a band a few years ago... we were gonna call ourselves The Testostricles. All we needed was a trianglist.
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome stories guys, some talented people!
We have a Rewind band here [Cool]
I can´t play anything so i´m only listening music,
sometimes if i drink too much i might grab a mic and make a fool of myself in a karaoke bar [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Kev, do you wanna play triangle in my band The Testostricles?
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm....sounds like the band is a bit sketchy Stitch....but......what the hey....I'm in. Are we talking Glam Rock?...big hair...make-up....glitter? I'll try to make the triangle seem imporant in the grand scheme..... [Frown]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a pianist. Started playing by ear at age 4. Thanks Grandpa for the talent [Smile] .
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Kev, the triangle is vital! That's why we haven't completed the lineup yet because we are waiting for the all important trianglist to come aboard. It's the glue that will hold the Testostricles together!!

I think the role of trianglist needs to be in the Glam zone, definitely glitter, poodle-hair, and fireworks... I'm thinking similar to Ke$ha in the Take It Off film clip...

Cindy, I always wondered where my talent came from because no one in my family was musical. I finally found out a few year ago that my great grandmother was a piano teacher!

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've messed around playing guitar, piano, drums. But Piano/Keyboards would be what I play mainly though.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a guitarist, and bassist. Also play a mean recorder and harmonica. Give me time to take a picture of the equipment. Everything is a mess because of moving.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
My mum was a folk guitarist, so I started learning when i was about 8 years old but it was never the right fit for. Luckily I found the keyboard and stuck to it like glue.
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another guitarist here! Been playing over 20 years.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Hmmmmm....sounds like the band is a bit sketchy Stitch....but......what the hey....I'm in. Are we talking Glam Rock?...big hair...make-up....glitter? I'll try to make the triangle seem imporant in the grand scheme..... [Frown]

LOL...the triangle...LMAO...i could never hold that that still, was always spinning round...thought i was being clever by holding it on the metal part - CLUNK CLUNK...jingle bells in a grade 3 assembly was ruined by me that year.

I have my own drums and play a little. I play piano but cant read music. I can sing a little and used to sing in a local band for a little while until bottles were thrown - about 12 seconds to be precise.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home