iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » TV Land

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TV Land
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have ya'll noticed that TV Land isn't quite the same as it was when it debuted? Remember how they showed those retromercials and they had older programming, like Green Acres and Hill Street Blues? Then they had the TV Land Kitschen on Saturday nights, with shows like Soap and Perfect Strangers. Now they're showing stuff like Just Shoot Me and Extreme Makeover Home Edition, not to mention their new reality stuff, like She's Got the Look. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with any of these shows, don't get me wrong. But I thought that TV Land was supposed to show the more "classic" stuff while Nick at Nite showed "newer" stuff. Sure, they still show some decent stuff, like the occasional Leave It to Beaver and All in the Family and Good Times. Newer stuff is usually picked up for syndication, so why not show more "classic" stuff? I guess viewership has something to do with it. I was watching ALF this week, and I thought, there'd be a good show for TV Land...or maybe some Mr. Belvedere or Kotter.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I didn't intend this to be a complaint of what's wrong with the world today. It's just merely a complaint of TV Land programming.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree petty. alot of television stations are too filled with makeover shows and reality programming. i do watch a few of those types, but not a lot.
shows that i would rather see..
welcome back kotter (as you mentioned)
the hogan family (with sandy duncan & jason bateman)
facts of life (since they're taking their sweet time releasing seasons 4 & 5..the funniest ones)
sister kate (with jason pristely)
blossom (so i can see joey)
out of this world
wonder years (has it been released for dvd yet?)

i could name more of course. [Wink]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that... I use to love TV Land. Looks like they sold out like the rest of the networks.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when my sister had cable and I didnt I used to LOVE and LIVE FOR NICK AT NITE! What the heck? Do they NOT do NICK AT NITE anymore? I mean, now they play stuff like THE GEORGE LOPEZ SHOW (which I think is dreadful) and FAMILY MATTERS (meh) What happened to BEWTICHED? JEANIE? THE BRADY BUNCH?

TV LAND never was as cool as NICK AT NITE for me....and lately - wow- I like watch I LOVE LUCY on there and nothin' else! I dont even know what their line-up is anymore.

Its getting harder and harder for me to enjoy my television heritage! I bought DVD box sets of BRADY BUNCH, PARTRIDGE FAMILY, SOAP, THE FACTS OF LIFE, THE ODD COUPLE, I rented Season one of TAXI from NETFLIX....and next I wanna start working on HAPPY DAYS dvd sets.

I wish NICK AT NITE and TV LAND would get back to their roots!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who mentioned WONDER YEARS? ION was playing them awhile back...dont know if they still are.

Everyone says the reason we cant get WONDER YEARS dvd is because of the licensing for all the old music they used on the show.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TV Land also has been showing movies on occasion instead of old TV shows.

As far as the shows go I guess it all depends on what one considers to be a classic show. Is it a classic show because it was popular for an x-period of time or is there a timeframe on how long a show has to be off the air before it becomes a classic? I think that's a pretty fine line in which to pick what is and what isn't a classic.

A show that was on ten years ago isn't really a clasic to me being I'm 43 years old but to somebody who is 23 years old it is a classic.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
who mentioned WONDER YEARS? ION was playing them awhile back...dont know if they still are.

Everyone says the reason we cant get WONDER YEARS dvd is because of the licensing for all the old music they used on the show.

good to know.

sammage - you make a good point. i can't stand fresh prince, though a lot of people love it. but i know a lot of younger people who watch the reruns constantly.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ sammage [Wink]
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard about the whole "music" issue, too, concerning The Wonder Years. It's also supposedly the same reason Cold Case has never been released on DVD. I swear, if the Wonder Years were ever released on DVD, I'd take off work the day it was to be released and be lined up in front of FYE waiting for it to open!

Sammy--I understand your point, really. And actually, the movie part of TV Land doesn't bother me...sometimes they show some good stuff.

Nowheregirl--I absolutely despise The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air!!! When I was in high school I liked it, but now I can't stand to watch it!

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
Have ya'll noticed that TV Land isn't quite the same as it was when it debuted? Remember how they showed those retromercials and they had older programming, like Green Acres and Hill Street Blues? Then they had the TV Land Kitschen on Saturday nights, with shows like Soap and Perfect Strangers. Now they're showing stuff like Just Shoot Me and Extreme Makeover Home Edition, not to mention their new reality stuff, like She's Got the Look. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with any of these shows, don't get me wrong. But I thought that TV Land was supposed to show the more "classic" stuff while Nick at Nite showed "newer" stuff. Sure, they still show some decent stuff, like the occasional Leave It to Beaver and All in the Family and Good Times. Newer stuff is usually picked up for syndication, so why not show more "classic" stuff? I guess viewership has something to do with it. I was watching ALF this week, and I thought, there'd be a good show for TV Land...or maybe some Mr. Belvedere or Kotter.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I didn't intend this to be a complaint of what's wrong with the world today. It's just merely a complaint of TV Land programming.

This is the same thing that happened to Mtv... Where are the "Music Videos???? It's all about money...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I used to watch FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR when it was just running (my husband LOVED it for some reason- I think he's a big Wil Smith fan) but the thought of watching it NOW doesn't appeal to me. The same thing with A DIFFERNT WORLD. (I know they were playing them both recently on NICK or TV LAND or whatever...maybe still are).
A show I used to watch ALL THE TIME when it was new was FAMILYY TIES. For some reason I never watch it when they play it now: I think it was a show that took place in a certain time period and therefore I dont think I would "relate to it" as well NOW (and - yet- Im all for going back in time with THE WONDER YEARS , go figure!) GROWING PAINS is another show I used to watch all the time that I more or less will pass up nowadays.
Isnt it weird how we used to watch certain shows all the time when they initially ran and now we're like "Meh" when we find out they're on? (THE COSBY SHOW too for that matter...and I remember that show being HUGE, we all used to watch it in my family. Now- Nope!)
Maybe the shows I listed arent OLD enough and I dont miss them yet?

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never watched Family Ties much when it was on TV in the 80's....but we bought the 1st Season of it, and we watched every episode.

I know there were a few marathons awhile ago on TVLand with Starsky and Hutch and Charlies Angels.

I wish they would play the Bionic Woman.

I just bought Season 1 of Barney Miller.

I want to see Eight is Enough and Alice-those were 2 shows I loved.

I do have some new stuff to watch that I just haven't gotten around to watching yet.

I need to buy Season 3 and 4 of SOAP.

I never watched Growing Pains or The Wonder Years.

I want to see Double Trouble and Lucan on DVD.

I wish they would play alot of the old "thriller" type.. made for Tv.. movies that use to be on Saturdays on TV in the late 70's.

Right now we are watching Season 2 of CHiPS-if you never watched it when it was on TV...I highly recommend it. I love every episode. There is something about that time period that to me was innocent and carefree. I loved Ponch and John and the entire cast.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I remember COMEDY CENTRAIL used to do SOAP marathons- I wouldnt sleep for days! Hahaha. Thank God Ihave the DVDs now.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home