iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Random Childhood Memories (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Random Childhood Memories
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone else remember those animated santa claus statues, i dont know if they were motion activated or if you just pressed the button for them to move, but i remember seeing them at K-Mart, i thought they were really neat, and when i went to the store i would walk down that isle where they would have them on display, and they really went with alot of detail in making a christmas display, even built a scale model snowy village, everytime i go there i could not wait until the day of christmas, it could not get here soon enough in my opinion.
I think the following year they then had the halloween animated statues, frankenstein, wolfman, dracula, which to this day i still think they are great, i would have like to bought the wolfman one, but seeing those in late september that year got me really psyched for halloween, and i always had ideas of covering the whole town in one night, and wondered how the heck do those people on the makeup packaging are able to apply that stuff so well to their own faces where they actually look like dracula or a zombie. but every year i go to those department store displays and get really psyched about the oncoming hollidays

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember those GP. Still actually have a couple of the Halloween ones in storage. Pretty sure they still work too. Just haven't been able to use them for the past couple Halloweens.

Still enjoying reading all these stories. Let's hear some more...

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic! They were thick but only about 3-4 inches square. Does anybody remember those BIG LITTLE BOOKS? I enjoyed many of them as a youngster. Popeye was the bomb in my eyes but also had others like Bugs Bunny, Road Runner. They stayed on my headboard for many years and got tons of use.
 -
 -

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember getting tootsie pops, and always checking the wrapper for a indian shooting a bow at a star, the reason why, was there was talk all around the school that if you found one these wrappers it was good for a free pop with purchase of another at the local candy shop, came across alot of wrappers that didnt have the indian, got to the point where i started to doubt the existance of the indian, then i finally found one, on a blue raspberry pop, my favorite flavor at the time to boot. took it to the store, told the guy im here to claim the free one, he said sorry kid we dont do that, someone told you wrong. i ended up buying one anyway slightly annoyed but i walked away thinking the whole thing was funny

i still look for the indian, even to this day

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
actually it was grape, i got confused by the color of the wrapper, grape was blue for some reason, i liked all the flavors anyway.
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch Groover:
So no one remembers Flat Stanley? In the books, he was a boy who (I can't remmeber how) ended up as flat as sheet of paper, and was able to slide under doors, go on vacation by posting himself in an envelope etc....

According to Wikipedia, Stitch, he was flattened in his sleep when the big bulletin board given to him and his younger brother Arthur by their father to display pictures as well as posters fell on him from the wall where it was hung over his bed.

I trust that that answers your question.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mate your a legend!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is like my favorite thing ....talking about my favorite memories of my childhood. I talk about it all the time with my family ....and my brother and I remember all the cool toys we had, and what Christmas was like. I talk about how when I was a kid...we were never bored. Even like now, in the winter- we would be outside shoveling snow- making money...we went snow mobiling, we would make forts in the snow, and go sled riding and snow tubing and went rollerskating on the weekends, and bowling...we stayed in and played board games and did puzzles...we were not stuck on the internet (because it didn't come along yet to remove our brains)- people had hobbies....I remember taking ceramic classes, and my mom made macrame and we were always busy. I use to be a candy striper and
I was a camp counselor. I loved the summers...we played outside and made cabins in the woods...we played flag football and freeze tag, and slept outside in the yard in our sleeping bags. We knew everyone in our town, I knew all my neighbors.
I have great memories of all the cool TV shows back then. Staying up on Friday nights to watch Friday Night Videos, and cruising around town. We had Slumber Parties all the time. Toys were fun...I loved my Creepy Crawler machine and making Shrinky Dinks and playing with my Lite Brite and Color Forms...and watching Saturday morning TV shows....when cartoons were funny like Hong Kong Phooey and Fat Albert and The Pink Panther ...I think kids today don't even get a childhood. I would go back in a heart beat. My parents were in a CB Club, and we talked on CBs instead of Cell Phones. People socialized. We had Game nights and card game nights and went to dances. I miss it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i think it was either xmas 1979 or 80 i got one these fun talking educational 2 xl robots which came with a cassette full of random questions,jokes and numerous other little things.

http://youtu.be/KpLkztVIJrc - video of 2xl talking robot introducing himself.

anyone else ever have one of these?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
warrior. I have never seen one of those. love looking at the vintage stuff.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have never seen one of these. This robot is incredible. I think that he'd be a hit even today. I'm totally with you guys that some of these vintage things are terrific. I know that my family absolutely loves the old NES game "Zombies Ate My Neighbors." It just goes to show you that even if it doesn't have a gagillion-bit graphics and a super-computer CPU, something that is creative and imaginative is timeless.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

http://youtu.be/7pxK2UiBTts - tomy racing turbo porsche test drive

-

did any of you guys have one of these?

this was another cool little toy i reckon would sell by the truckload if on the market today!

well i don't think they still sell them.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one! Hubby picked it up at an auction awhile back!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I had one of those as a kiddie. Also had a few other electronic gadgets like it too.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i hope neither of you were intoxicated while driving it [Big Grin]
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Memory is a little hazy...maybe we were..lol

Here's another one of the electronic racing do-hickies I remember having as well..

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
https://youtu.be/fpPtMBScVII - i can't remember this one pyro but it looks a lot more tricky with that mini steering wheel!
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have a "Zoidzilla" as a kid. One of these:

-

It had been "lost" many years ago, and I'd totally forgotten it had even existed.

A few months ago, I visited the Natural History Museum, and amongst all the Dinosaur replicas, I noticed a small glass cabinet, and in that cabinet, was the following:

-

Memories came flooding back!

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
I used to have a "Zoidzilla" as a kid. One of these:

-

It had been "lost" many years ago, and I'd totally forgotten it had even existed.

A few months ago, I visited the Natural History Museum, and amongst all the Dinosaur replicas, I noticed a small glass cabinet, and in that cabinet, was the following:

-

Memories came flooding back!

" You sure they didn't steal your one" [Big Grin]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Pyro:
Memory is a little hazy...maybe we were..lol

Here's another one of the electronic racing do-hickies I remember having as well..

-

Pyro...I forgot about those. That was a great game!
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
" You sure they didn't steal your one" [Big Grin]

- I think I need to have a word with my parents.  - [Razz]
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah it was a fun little gadget [Big Grin] . I'd post more pics of other old school do-hickies I had as a kid. But I can save the time and just say google Tomy handheld toys from the 70's and 80's. Many of my little gadget toys were from that company.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home