iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Random Childhood Memories (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Random Childhood Memories
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's all reach back...waaaay back into the earliest years of our childhood and share a memory or two from when we were just wee youngsters, or as far back as you care to remember. It can be anything from a precious toy you had to a special family moment. Let's try to make these positive memories though.

I'll start things off by sharing with you what probably was the very first song I can remember really liking alot as a kiddie...

The Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy vs. The Red Baron (1966):
 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSrjFtTPtbo

Of all the random songs to find on youtube, I had to find this one. (It's what gave me the idea for this topic.) Instant nostalgia set in while listening to this and brought me back to a time of being in diapers and barely able to walk or talk; bouncing along to this song in my playpen as it played on the old family record player. [Smile]

So, anyone else care to share a random memory like this from your youth? I'm sure you all have some nice childhood tales to tell.

[ 07. July 2011, 01:59: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have a picture book about a lonely wizard who painted a picture of himself and brought it to life, but the picture was evil and locked the wizard up and did nasty things. Then it rained and the evil picture washed away. I wish I could remember the name of that book [Frown]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah this is cool i was just thinking last night about a book i used to have called Twinkle i googled it last night and i reconised the 1983 addition straight away and memories came back of the story about a toy hospital lol. I also had a smurf record called smurfing beer which i played all the time!
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a bright light, and then some strange man slapping me on the butt.....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny Paul.....

* I remember when I was young enough to get $1 for allowance and would always run to the general store down the road...it was enough to buy a bottle of pop, bag of chips, and a chocolate bar! For some reason, I have fond memories of the front door of the store....a big solid wood door with a glass pane window, and a bell would ring every time it opened. I can remember the smell of the store and today could probably still walk around the store blind folded without running into anything. It's long since gone, but Don Powell's store was a big part of my childhood.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P a u l:
I remember a bright light, and then some strange man slapping me on the butt.....

[Big Grin]

I have a twin brother.When my mom went to hospital to get our brother.He is one year younger than us btw.Our grandmother was taking care of us for the time being.We both remember this episode very vividly:Time to go to bed and we both had our milk bottles with us.But i wanted chocolate milk,which my twin brother hated.There was a bit mix up,before it was eventually sorted out.I still remember how frustrated i was,not being able to communicate with that huge total stupid strange looking homo sapiens [Big Grin] BTW,me and my brother created our own language between us,much to my mothers worries.It was all sorted out in the end i guess.And i still enjoy my chocolate milk to this very day btw.
[Wink]

[ 09. April 2011, 07:08: Message edited by: bandit ]

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked going to this supermarket in my hometown that was designed like something out of the seventies, i loved to walk down the spice isle with all those different scents, the bread isle with the aroma of fresh baked bread, the seafood section and looking at the lobsters in the tank, and finally the bakery where the give you free samples of cookies. also the cearal isle seemed to stretch on forever with all kinds of brands, now it seems limited. also i miss the way the seventies style looked.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I was 4 or 5 and my Father's cousin made me three dresses in her sewing class in High School. I can vaguely remember them- one was pale pink, one was pale mint green, but I don't remember the third one. They were beautiful- like you would buy at a department store.
I also remember going to this really small grocery store with my Father alot. They ended up building a new one behind the old store in the early 1990's. The old store is now a bar/restaurant. I loved the old store- gazing at the wheels of cheese and waiting for the meat cutter to prepare our order. And sometimes getting some candy from those Brach's candies mix bins.

Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha! i used to get the brach's too! i sneak a milk maid every now and then, but that was another store
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
another memory that came to me was one where i rode with my parents to some big department store almost an hour away from home, or at least that was what it seemed like, rode in the back of a little white pontiac t -1000, i had a couple of masters of the universe action figures with me in the back seat one of them being Two-Bad, wich i remember loosing him somewhere in there but given how small the car was seems like a crazy notion, later i found him under the front passenger seat, it got dark quick outside which didnt help me when i was looking, and im thinking this was around christmas time, i was really exicted about christmas every year back then and very anxious of it coming up soon, even to the point where i couldnt get to sleep on christmas eve.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm loving all these tidbits of childhood memories! [Big Grin] ...anybody got anymore??
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've said this before, i think...

one of the best memories for me, would be halloween...4th grade. going trick or treating with my 2 best friends...totally hitting up the neighborhood and then came across 3 boys our age, and they somehow tagged along with us, we were all laughing, and running down the street... (my kids wouldn't be doing this today haha). we were having the time of our lives and then when it was time to go back home, they walked us back to my house, and my mom had the car ready to take my friends home, we were all saying bye like it was the end of the world awww haha. we get in the car and the song, "She's A Beauty" by the Tubes was playing.. so that song is forever connected to that night for me. it doesn't fit the anything that happened, but it makes me think of it everytime i hear it,.. it was so much fun! [Smile]

oh and several years later, in jr. high, i ended up seeing one of the boys at my school, we remembered each other and were like.. "remember halloween night??.." haha we became friends but then he went to a different high school. i thought it was so cool we ran into each other and remembered trick or treating together. [Cool] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i remember this one particular easter morning when i was 8 years old or younger my mom(which at that time i was under the assumption it was none other than the easter bunny himself) set up a scavenger hunt type of thing leaving post-it notes in various locations around the house one note leading to another and eventually to a basket of goodies. i woke up that morning and my mom pointed out the first note and said look what the easter bunny left for ya, and needless to say i was pretty exicted, didnt even change out of pajamas to my regular clothes either, got right out on the trail of this thing, this trail leading me out through the backyard, im still barefoot tromping through the dew looking for the next spot. this particular easter sticks out to me because it was the only one where the easter bunny seemed as big as santa claus, that and it was totally unexpected, untill then i thought the bunny just left cool colored eggs lying around in baskets of plastic grass, i felt kind of special that i got a visit and the effort of putting together this game. this hunt only happend one year but it is always the one that pops into my head when ever i think of easter.
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember getting a new bike for my 7th birthday...one of those bikes with the plastic gas tank on it....a cool ride...mine was orange and black. Anyway, I came home from school and my Dad asked me to go into the garage to get him a hammer...I go in, look around, can't find it. Dad sends me back in with specific directions...still can't find it. Anyway, the point is that Dad put the bike right in the middle of the garage...in a spot where I actually had to scootch around it to see if I could find the hammer. For some reason...the image of the bike just didn't register...pretty much had to sit me on the bike before I realized what I just got for my birthday....I remember this like it was yesterday....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 words - Flat. Stanley.

Does anyone remember this book?

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinnamon girl
Rewind Curious
Member # 9865

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for cinnamon girl   Email cinnamon girl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gold digger jeans. with a gold bar as a zipper pull i think. no one remembers these jeans. in the commercial it had kids on a playground.
Posts: 5 | From: swamps of sadness | Registered: Jul 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So no one remembers Flat Stanley? In the books, he was a boy who (I can't remmeber how) ended up as flat as sheet of paper, and was able to slide under doors, go on vacation by posting himself in an envelope etc....
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
my grandma put some cool ranch doritos in a bowl for me but accidentally spilled some kool aid mix on them, the combination made for a unique challenge to the taste buds, i remember that at the same time i was watching 1 2 3..contact, anyway she was a lady who was very adamant about not wasting food so, that was one of the strangest snacks i ever had to finish.
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dang - i love these stories!! [Big Grin] great thread Pyro mate, just awsome. I loved snoopy too. Got SO MANY great memories and its hard to pin down just 1 but here goes . . .

. . .February 1984, Burlish Middle School, i was 10 yrs old and smitten with a girl who was smitten with me - Kerry-Ann Walsh was her name. Green eyes, long black hair and pale skin. she was kinda chubby i think and always wore wellies to school. Her friend approached me in the play ground and told me kerry liked me and wanted me to ask her out, out where i have no idea but i spent the rest of the day psyching my self up to ask her out at the PERFECT moment.
The school bell rings at the end of the day, i timed my walk to the coat hook area just perfectly to see Kerry at her hook (and on her own) just perfect!! She turned walked past me as i just froze completely, she was now at the exit with about 20 others going out the door, i was going to miss my moment, my chance, after all the psyching, after all the silent practise in my head . . .3 2 1, do it mark do it, just say it.
'Kerry-ann' i yelled. She turns, looks right at me and i say (infront of the whole class)
'WILL you go out with me'?
...and she yells out with every ounce of energy... 'NO WAY'!! LOL ill never ever forget that to the day i die Pyro.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
my grandma put some cool ranch doritos in a bowl for me but accidentally spilled some kool aid mix on them, the combination made for a unique challenge to the taste buds, i remember that at the same time i was watching 1 2 3..contact, anyway she was a lady who was very adamant about not wasting food so, that was one of the strangest snacks i ever had to finish.

LOL 1 2 3 contact, i loved that show!!!
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I remember getting a new bike for my 7th birthday...one of those bikes with the plastic gas tank on it....a cool ride...mine was orange and black. Anyway, I came home from school and my Dad asked me to go into the garage to get him a hammer...I go in, look around, can't find it. Dad sends me back in with specific directions...still can't find it. Anyway, the point is that Dad put the bike right in the middle of the garage...in a spot where I actually had to scootch around it to see if I could find the hammer. For some reason...the image of the bike just didn't register...pretty much had to sit me on the bike before I realized what I just got for my birthday....I remember this like it was yesterday....

great story, i always wanted one of those bikes but ended up with a releigh, then a bmx. Those gas tank bikes looked awsome.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching Space Coaster with that dam annoying Goriddle Gorilla. Man would I like to have re-watched it with some kush back in the college days.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall watching Oh! Heavenly Dog on television as a child drinking soft drink besides eating biscuits dipped in it at a friend's house. [Smile]

[ 29. September 2011, 14:36: Message edited by: Lovers with Cassie ]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I have Oh Heavenly Dog on DVD....and my Mom makes awsome biscuits.....I'm gonna re-create this memory soon Cassie....I'll let you know how it feels!
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a show called 'Hotel Balderdash' Google it if u dont believe me.
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home