iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » The Academy Awards 2011 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Academy Awards 2011
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Where's Kash at for our yearly Academy Awards critiquing? He usually stays up all night watching the broadcast and posting the winners.

I'm really interested in a few things.. can Jeff Bridges win again?.. Totally supporting Natalie Portman for "The Black Swan" .. Would love to see Toy Story 3 shock a few people for best picture.. completely intrigued by the documentary “Exit through the Gift Shop”.. and I can't wait to hear those kids sing "Over The Rainbow"..

Anyone else watching?

Actor in a Leading Role:

Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”
James Franco in “127 Hours”

Actor in a Supporting Role:

Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone”
Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”

Actress in a Leading Role:

Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Actress in a Supporting Role:

Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”
Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

Animated Feature Film:

“How to Train Your Dragon” Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
“The Illusionist” Sylvain Chomet
“Toy Story 3” Lee Unkrich

Art Direction:

“Alice in Wonderland”
Production Design: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan
“Inception”
Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat
“The King's Speech”
Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Judy Farr
“True Grit”
Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh

Cinematography:

“Black Swan” Matthew Libatique
“Inception” Wally Pfister
“The King's Speech” Danny Cohen
“The Social Network” Jeff Cronenweth
“True Grit” Roger Deakins

Costume Design:

“Alice in Wonderland” Colleen Atwood
“I Am Love” Antonella Cannarozzi
“The King's Speech” Jenny Beavan
“The Tempest” Sandy Powell
“True Grit” Mary Zophres

Directing:
“Black Swan” Darren Aronofsky
“The Fighter” David O. Russell
“The King's Speech” Tom Hooper
“The Social Network” David Fincher
“True Grit” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Documentary (Feature):

“Exit through the Gift Shop” Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz
“Gasland” Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic
“Inside Job” Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
“Restrepo” Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
“Waste Land” Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley

Documentary (Short Subject):

“Killing in the Name” Jed Rothstein
“Poster Girl” Sara Nesson and Mitchell W. Block
“Strangers No More” Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon
“Sun Come Up” Jennifer Redfearn and Tim Metzger
“The Warriors of Qiugang” Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon

Film Editing:

“Black Swan” Andrew Weisblum
“The Fighter” Pamela Martin
“The King's Speech” Tariq Anwar
“127 Hours” Jon Harris
“The Social Network” Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter

Foreign Language Film:

“Biutiful” Mexico
“Dogtooth” Greece
“In a Better World” Denmark
“Incendies” Canada
“Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)” Algeria

Makeup:

“Barney's Version” Adrien Morot
“The Way Back” Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
“The Wolfman” Rick Baker and Dave Elsey
Music (Original Score)
“How to Train Your Dragon” John Powell
“Inception” Hans Zimmer
“The King's Speech” Alexandre Desplat
“127 Hours” A.R. Rahman
“The Social Network” Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Music (Original Song):

“Coming Home” from “Country Strong” Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
“I See the Light” from “Tangled” Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
“If I Rise” from “127 Hours” Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
“We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

Best Picture:

“Black Swan” Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
“The Fighter” David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
“Inception” Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
“The Kids Are All Right” Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
“The King's Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
“127 Hours” Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
“The Social Network” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
“Toy Story 3” Darla K. Anderson, Producer
“True Grit” Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
“Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers

Short Film (Animated):

“Day & Night” Teddy Newton
“The Gruffalo” Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
“Let's Pollute” Geefwee Boedoe
“The Lost Thing” Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
“Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)” Bastien Dubois

Short Film (Live Action):

“The Confession” Tanel Toom
“The Crush” Michael Creagh
“God of Love” Luke Matheny
“Na Wewe” Ivan Goldschmidt
“Wish 143” Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite

Sound Editing:

“Inception” Richard King
“Toy Story 3” Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
“Tron: Legacy” Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
“True Grit” Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
“Unstoppable” Mark P. Stoeckinger

Sound Mixing:

“Inception” Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
“The King's Speech” Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley
“Salt” Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
“The Social Network” Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten
“True Grit” Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland

Visual Effects:

“Alice in Wonderland” Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1” Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
“Hereafter” Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojansky and Joe Farrell
“Inception” Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
“Iron Man 2” Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Su****

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):

“127 Hours” Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy
“The Social Network” Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
“Toy Story 3” Screenplay by Michael Arndt; Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
“True Grit” Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
“Winter's Bone” Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini

Writing (Original Screenplay):

“Another Year” Written by Mike Leigh
“The Fighter” Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson;
Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson
“Inception” Written by Christopher Nolan
“The Kids Are All Right” Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg
“The King's Speech” Screenplay by David Seidler

[ 27. February 2011, 16:40: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they still have these?...

I haven't watched in years

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved the used of "Back To The Future" in the opening with the Twin Pines Mall, the DeLorean, Doc Brown, and Marty!

Also, seeing Robert Downey Jr. on the red carpet made me want to watch "Tuff Turf"..

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, my friend, for my The Rewind, I'm prepared to go that extra mile... I'll give it my best shot but I know I'll be shattered for work the next day; so here are my predictions in case I don't make it all the way to the end...

My (imaginary) monies on Natalie Portman, Colin Firth, Christian Bale, Hailee Stansfield for the acting gongs.

Outside The Law for best foreign film (was also in my top 10 films of 2010 list)

Black Swan and Arronofsky for best picture and director.

Winter's Bone for best-adapted screenplay.

The King’s Speech for best original screenplay.

Toy Story 3 best animated.

Inside Job best documentary.

Black Swan for editing.

The Wolfman for best makeup.

We Belong Together (Randy Newman) best song Toy Story 3.

Sound and Effects awards for Inception.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally Pfister's living the dream (see what I did there?) and takes best cinematography for Inception. Deserved IMO.

-

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Awesome .. Toy Story 3-D is a winner!
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Coming out of the corner with a devastating one two combination is Melissa Leo, who earns a best supporting actress gong for The Fighter. I don't know much about her to be honest, but lets hope this raises her profile...She said a bad word on stage... ("****ing...", in case you're wondering) and was in an episode of Miami Vice once. I like her already!

-
She's the one on the left...

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Toy Story 3, an easy win. Deserved.
 -

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Aaron Sorkin gets best screenplay for The Facebook movie. Meh!

-

David Seidler snags best adapted for The King's Speech, he's 74 years old you know. Well done granddad!

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
In a Better World (a.k.a. Civilization a.k.a Heaven), best foreign film...haven't seen it myself. Couldn't have been better than Outside The Law, though.
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Christian Bale, best supporting for The Fighter.

Great actor, they'll be celebrating in Wales tonight...forget the fact that he hasn't been back in a lifetime: Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins, Joe Calzage, Catherine Zeta Jones, Tom Jones, Kelly Jones, Grace Jones, Indiana Jones: all Welsh, top that England!

Christian Bale ought to have said: "The Machinist, American Psycho, Harsh Times, Empire of the Sun whilst revising for my O-Levels...and you give me this trinket for out-acting Marky ****ing Mark? Shame on you gutless pricks, shame on you all...I'm Batman".

Alas, Bale didn't use the speech I'd written for him, and went for the old false modesty routine instead...

-

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
The Social Network wins best score. Fair enough, I suppose.

Inception snares another tech win as expected, this time for sound editing.

Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman are getting on my **** now, the whole song n' dance theme is beginning to grate. James Franco and Anne Hathaway aren't doing a bad job of steering this titanic show towards the iceberg of nonsensical banality.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rick Baker wins for make-up.. think The Howling, An American Werewolf in London, and Coming To America.
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved that Reese Witherspoon presented Christian Bale with his Oscar - an American Psycho reunion! [Smile]
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
The legend Rick Baker devours best make-up for The Wolfman!

-

Yeah, I really like the way they've used a subtle foundation and high impact mascara here, it really brings out th...hold on a second, it's my PA...what do ya mean its not that kind of award?

-

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Musical interlude, Mandy Moores looking good.

So far I've got 6 predictions right, only best foreign and supporting actress threw a spanner in the works.

Oscars for short and documentary short, best of luck to the winners but its always awkward to seek these movies out.

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Director Charles Ferguson makes good on my prediction and wins for Inside Job. Very good documentary on financial fraud and ongoing corruption. See it.

-

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Boring nepotist has been; the gorgeous Gwyneth Paltrow croons for us.

Randy Newman wins best song!

Inception takes another, this time for best SFX.

Surprisingly, Social Network gets one for best editing? That should've gone to Black Swan IMO, that's probably being preped for later.

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Tom Hooper wins Best director for The King's Speech...OK, looks like Black Swans a cert for best picture, then.

Directors a toff, and had to take the silver spoon out of his mouth before making that speech. Seems like a reasonably nice chap, though.

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Natalie Portman for Black Swan...the Black Swan bandwagon starts here, jump on it while you have the chance. Natalie Portman's rambling speech was nice to hear, though how she forgot to thank George Lucas is beyond me!

I'm signing off for tonight, the rest is obvious.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the Oscar updates Kash!! Brilliant stuff as always..
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Rick Baker wins for make-up.. think The Howling, An American Werewolf in London, and Coming To America.

Rob Bottin did the make up work for The Howling.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed watching Franco getting more and more stoned as it went on  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no mention of corey haim in the memoriam.....

i thought the show was drab. the hosts were boring and some of the acceptance speeches were awkward. melissa leo was annoying..it felt like she was on the stage forever and they 'let' her continue. [Roll Eyes]

the ending was cute though.

i was glad Inception went home with a good handful of awards. but shocked it didn't win best score.

natalie portman was so busy thanking everyone she could think of, she made no mention of her co-stars haha. but definitely not as bad as christian bale forgetting his wife's name! [Eek!]

[ 28. February 2011, 14:04: Message edited by: Ronnie ]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
no mention of corey haim in the memoriam.....
Or Ingrid Pitt

[ 01. March 2011, 04:20: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home