iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Your top 5 Cronenberg films? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your top 5 Cronenberg films?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Company is better than M. Butterfly in my opinion. [Smile]
Posts: 2005 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Company wouldn't make it into anyone's top 5 here, obviously.. but it's really not a bad movie.
It's got some intrigue within the racing business, cool cars, a little T & A, plus a great cast
which includes William Smith, John Saxon, and Claudia Jennings.

I once read a review in which the writer drew some parallels between Fast Company and Cronenberg's Crash.. [Confused]

In my opinion, the best way to enjoy Fast Company is to forget it was directed by Cronenberg
and just see it as a fun 70's drive-in movie. [Smile]

Blue Underground released a truly amazing special edition, which even includes a Cronenberg commentary !

Ask aTomiK.. he just bought it ! [Razz]

[ 04. December 2015, 05:38: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2009 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched and liked Maps to the Stars. Great acting by most and pretty depressing stuff.
Posts: 3755 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cronenberg's string of fine films continues. As far as I'm concerned, he's only made two films that I thought were below his usual high standard: Fast Company, which is OK fun, and M. Butterfly. which I thought was pretty but dull. I've really liked/loved everything else (Yes, I even think Cosmopolis, while inaccessible to most, is great too), and Maps to the Stars is no exception. I don't usually like Julianne Moore, who I think is way overrated, because I find her acting style to be too mannered and affected. But here she's terrific, especially in the toilet scene that scared off all the other good actresses: "I'm going to need an enema!" (Complete with sound effects) I think that despite the bleak and depressing material, typical of Bruce "Wild Palms" Wagner, it's Cronenberg's funniest film.

[ 24. July 2017, 17:32: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2005 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah there were some really funny moments, no more so than that awful CGI fire tho, wow! I think this was Julianne's best role since Magnolia!
Posts: 3755 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen most of Cronenberg's films. I feel he's a very underrated director, since it seems that in some cases his films are thought of as just horror movies, when they're actually so much more.

Here are my reviews of some of his films - note there are lot more than 5 here, but I didn't want to start another thread [Wink] :

Rabid (1977): Truly horrific film that really plays into the fears many of us have of a plague/virus running rampant in society. Extremely well-done.

The Brood (1979): Great film about our unconsious fears/issues taking physical shape(s) - the little baby?! creatures were well-done for a low-budget film.

Scanners (1981): Hard film for me to watch, but very well done. The Exploding head imagery was something I knew about re: this film years before I actually saw this.

Videodrome (1983): Bizzare movie; the organic gun/arm was disturbing & grotesque.

The Dead Zone (1983): Wow, what an incredible film - Christopher Walken was excellent in this, and the script was very true to the novel; like De Palma's Carrie, this is another example of a film that truly does the original Stephen King book justice.

The Fly (1986): Stomach-turning & brilliant, and quite possibly Jeff Goldblum's best film; IMHO this film is a great example of a re-make out-shining the original. That being said, the fly transformation is probably one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in a movie.

Dead Ringers (1988): One of the most disturbing of Cronenberg's film. Jeremy Irons is to be commended for making me believe he was two different people - brilliant.

Naked Lunch (1991): Very messed-up (in a good way) film. I can't imagine any filmmaker other than DC even attempting to make this.

M. Butterfly (1993): Well-done film, and I didn't see the ending coming at all.

eXistenz (1999): The first time I saw this, I hadn't seen many of Cronenberg's films at that point and I was dissapointed; because of the video-game/virtual reality angle, I was expecting a CGI-heavy effects-laden film, and this wasn't like that at all. The second time I saw this, I had by then seen more of Cronenberg's earlier films, and really appreciated eXistenz - it was very clever & well-done, and had some obvious?! homages to Videodrome.

Spider (2002): Excellent film that really created an uneasy/unnerving atmosphere; the ending was shocking for me (the first time I saw this).

A History of Violence (2005): I wish I hadn't read the graphic novel this film was based on before seeing the movie; Viggo M. was great in this, but I felt that Bill Hurt was mis-cast as the vicious gangster; the graphic novel went a lot more into the past of the Viggo character and why he had to leave the city (Chicago?!) and start over again in a small town.

Eastern Promises (2007): Extremely violent gangster drama with a different twist; I liked the England setting & the Russian mafia angle, which set this apart from other gangster films. IMHO possibly Viggo M.'s best role.

After re-watching several of the above films back to back earlier this year, I noted that The Brood, Rabid, and The Dead Zone were all filmed & set during the dead of winter - whether or not this was coincidental or intentional, IMHO this aspect (snow, ice, cold, etc.) added to the starkness of the films.

Side-note: Also enjoyed DC's role in Clive Barker's Nightbreed (1990), which was another great, underrated horror movie.

Posts: 388 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff there, Nostalgic. I´m gonna rewatch some Cronenberg films one of these days.
Never seen The Brood and some of the new ones actually.

Posts: 6915 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
(Above) Australian VHS/Beta cover for Videodrome which apart from certification differences was from memory identical to the UK VHS/Beta.

On revisiting it I now absolutely love Videodrome where as watching it as a teen back in the mid 80s it completely lost me with just how bizzare it all felt!

The Dead Zone I have always loved and while I have not seen all of Cronenberg's works I bet this must be one of his most mainstream pictures!
Walken is superb and it's a powerful flick (helped no end by Michael Kamen's terrific soundtrack - https://youtu.be/LGSSnY-HpMc ) with a very downbeat finale.

Posts: 3210 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great VHS cover for Videodrome - that film seemed to eerily predict how technology would take over out lives - i.e., Smart-phones, anyone [Wink]

The Dead Zone is an amazing film with great performances by everyone, especially Christopher Walken in the lead. And, it's one of the best film adaptations of a Stephen King novel - many of the scenes in the movie were taken right out of the novel, including the ending. Fantastic.

Shivers is an early Cronenberg film, and very creepy. Definitely up there as one of my favorite Cronenberg movie even though the effects were crude - due to this being a low-budget '70's movie. Unfortunately, Shivers is unavailable these days on home video. The DVD has been OOP for years. I ended up streaming this a while back, and the print wasn't that great - but it was better than nothing.

To add to my earlier post, here are some reviews of Cronenberg's later films:

A Dangerous Method: Both brilliant & extremely disturbing at the same time, this was classic Cronenberg.

Maps to the Stars: Brilliant as well. Excellent condemnation of Hollywood & how it can really corrupt people - especially the young. And, extremely disturbing/sickening at times as well - Also classic Cronenberg.

Posts: 388 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home