iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Jenny Lewis at the Golden Globes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jenny Lewis at the Golden Globes
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This probably did not go without notice by Veronica Sawyer and other fans of Jenny Lewis... but she attended this year's Golden Globes with Jake Gyllenhaal.  Though they dated back in 2001, it was such an excellent surprise to see Jenny Lewis step out of that limo at the Globes.

-

For those of you going 'who's Jenny Lewis?'

Jenny Lewis starred in 80's flicks such as "The Wizard" and "Troop Beverly Hills", but she is probably best known as being the lead singer for the indie rock band Rilo Kiley.  I watched "The Wizard" about 5 years ago and discovered Rilo Kiley afterwards.  I'll let Veronica Sawyer give advice on which tunes you should check out, since she has an even larger appreciation for Rilo Kiley.  But I will recommend a tune called "Portions of Foxes" which is on Blender's list of '500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born'.

Even though the night was more about Jake Gyllenhaal .. I think most of us wish this would happen more often to some of the actors/actresses we appreciate from the 80's.

Go Jenny!!

[ 18. January 2011, 18:52: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, I was watching the pre-show red carpet coverage and I literally gasped when I saw Jenny and Jake! These two used to date back in 2001 and Jake has been seen at Rilo Kiley shows from time to time. I find it hilarious the all of the gossip blogs are speculating about their "relationship," when in reality they are just good friends.

I have been a huge fan of Rilo Kiley and Jenny Lewis' solo material for several years now...Rilo Kiley is I guess what you would call "alt-country" maybe? But you can't really label it I guess...As far as recommendations go, I would say their album "The Execution of All Things" is the best. I love these lyrics from the song "My Slumbering Heart:"

In my dreams
I see myself hitting a baseball
In a green field somewhere near a freeway
I'm all tan and smiling and running from 3rd base
And it's hot and
The kids keep on playing the driving game
And they're singing the same goddamn refrain
And the sky is a blueish grey.
And its become just like a chemical stress
Tracing the lines in my face for
Something more beautiful than is there
I've barely been gone.

Jenny also has a solo cd called "Rabbit Fur Coat" that sounds like a country/blues album recorded in the 1950's yet with completely modern lyrics.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool you two!!

This is how I discovered Jenny Lewis nowadays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-DZJo_Xyh8

I love this song!!

I was like....who is that I know her???....then bam........Troop Beverly Hills and The Wizard!

I like Rabbit Fur Coat! 'Handle with Care' the Traveling Wilburys cover is pretty spectacular also.

Veronica is Acid Tongue any good? You've now reminded me I always meant to check it out.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the song you posted Muffy!

Acid tongue was just OK for me...It's a lot more low-fi than her other stuff.

Looks like she just released a new CD last year with her BF Jonathan Rice that I had no idea about! Listened to a couple songs on youtube and it sounds pretty good.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica, I'm the opposite, I enjoyed Acid Tongue more than I liked Rabbit Fur Coat!

Wow, and there I was thinking I was the only one who'd heard of Jenny Lewis!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan H.
Rewinder
Member # 6668

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Morgan H.   Email Morgan H.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this. As a kid I used to watch The Wizard frequently and the main reason I enjoyed it was Jenny Lewis. Great memories from my childhood. I have never heard of Rilo K, but will look them up on itunes.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home