iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » September 11th.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: September 11th.
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's that date again,can't believe it was almost 10 years ago now.
As we have many people from around the world on here i wondered what peoples thoughts on what happened that day are,was it one of those moments in time for you where you can still remember exactly what you were doing.
That morning i was working and had a TV testing some equipment when someone said they had heard on the news a plane had crashed into New York.So i found a news channel and that was that for the day no more work got done,at work we just could not believe what we were seeing unfold in front of our eyes.The strange thing was that within an hour of it happening are phone at work stopped ringing and we had no more customers that day i suppose people were just so fixated with what was going on.
Now a couple of years ago i had got to visit New York for the first time since it happened,and although all the site had been cleaned and it was basically two big holes in the ground on a building site i was incredible humbled to just be stood their looking at a site you had seen so many times over the years.The part of my trip that really bought it home to me was visiting the 9/11 museum next to the site and seeing some of the things recovered from the site.My girlfriend still mentions the airplane window they have on display their just because you had seen those two planes over and over again on tv and here was actually a part of something that had caused all that destruction.For me it was a fireman's bunker jacket that had been recovered from the site only because i had read the story regarding this fire fighter and what happened to him,and how his dad who was also a fireman had not given up hope of recovering him even though he new he was dead.
Last night i watched a documentary about the events from the Mayors point of view with footage of him through out the day that had never been seen before,at the end he made a comment about how the attacks were not just against America but most of the modern world as people from 83 different countries were killed so maybe this is why so many people from different countries feel so strongly about what happened.
One thing i am sad about is that after all these years the building or buildings that will replace the WTC towers still are no more near being built.It would seem that if ever there was a time to put buracratic back stabbing to one side this would be it,then maybe the building would act as the monument to the dead and survivors they should be.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a weird coincidence. This morning (it's Sep 12 here, so Sep 11 in the USA) my partner and I were watching Season 2 of Law and Order SVU, and the date card for one scene showed that it was September 11 2000 - and there was a clear view of the towers.

On the night in question, I had gone to bed around 10.45, only 15 minutes before it all happened, so I didn't know anything until I woke up around 3am and, because I sleep with the radio on, I heard the announcer talking about "the worst act of terrorism in history". I sat bolt upright in bed and listened for a few mintues before heading to the living room to watch on TV.

The saddest thing now about the whole event is the level of hatred that has grown from it. I can't believe the ignorance of that pastor who wanted to burn the Koran, I realise he didn't go through with it, but there were people who did burn copies at Ground Zero, and others who tore out pages at the White House.

All those people complaining about a mosque being built on the site are just so ignorant. Firstly, it's a non denominational community centre, and secondly it's not being built on Ground Zero at all. It's shameful that people will believe any rubbish they here just because they need something to fear. These are the same people that insist that Barack Obama is a Muslim.

It's such a damn shame that the memories of the people lost on that terrible day are being tainted by ignorance, lies and hatred.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to New York a couple of years on my own and soaked up the atmosphere of the place for 9 days. When i walked around ground zero and went into the church there all i could do was cry. What Americans went through on that day . . .i am just so sorry for everyone who was affected by it. I spoke to a few people there who had been working that day and ended up having lunch with a few of them listening to what they had to say. I was in London at the time of the subway bombing in july. Some people in this world are so evil its inconceivable. Ill never understand it and dont want to. People are just left in pain for the rest of thier life and it sadens me. God bless you America. Your loved.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so lucky that Australia has so far been untouched by terror. Of course we've lost people in events in other countries but there has yet to be an event in our nation.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home