iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » First time you heard Nine Inch Nails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time you heard Nine Inch Nails
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, guys and dolls! I'm Bryan, AKA The Horned King. I was thinking about Nine Inch Nails, and how the band's music has evolved over the years. The influence of NIN is undeniable, as the legendary Johnny Cash demonstrated with his haunting cover of Hurt.

My wife and I went to a NIN show in Dallas last year. She was unfamiliar with them, having been mainly a pop and classic rock fan until she met me. She called it loud, sad music. We had fun trying to figure out how to dance to it.

I think Trent Reznor's music is still very enjoyable, and his lyrics are relevant to our times. And I was wondering what you think of NIN...?

In high school, circa 1993, my fellow drama students first introduced me to Nine Inch Nails lyrics, lyrics which they wrote on the chalkboard, like poetry. They played it for me on their car stereos. This was sexy, angry music of a whole new genre. Loud and crunchy at times, or ambient and haunting. I liked it.

I wanted to impress two hot drama chicks, haha!, so I eventually learned to play Hurt on the piano, and at a party I unleashed it on the girls. It left a lasting impression, and even though I was two grades behind them, they paid more attention to me after my impromptu recital.

I asked for a CD player for my birthday. Yes, my first Sony discman, in 1993! I humbly admit that Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral, was the second CD that I ever owned. (The first was What If God Was One Of Us? singer Joan Osborne's debut, Relish.)

The happy-go-lucky 1990s came and went, as I prepared for college and a career in broadcasting. In my mid-20s, I worked at a pop radio station, where Nine Inch Nails would've been wholly unwelcome. As a DJ, I collected so many MP3s and CDs, they piled up anywhere I could stack them.

It was during that time that I fell deeply in love, eventually we married, and my beautiful wife found out she was expecting -- my first little girl! (You should have seen me at the ultrasound, beaming!)

All this time, I had forgotten my original copy of The Downward Spiral at my parents' home, and in late 2007, it was rediscovered there, as Dad and Mom prepared to sell the house.

After they returned "Halo 8" to me, I dusted off the still unscratched CD, like some relic from a time capsule, and played it in my car, for the first time since the '90s, as a matter of fact.

I still play it if I'm driving by myself, because no one else in my family has a clue about this music. They would surely think the CD player was messing up if I played March Of The Pigs, with its fuzzy 7/8 beat.

Still, coming from a somewhat edgy, industrial '90s band, The Downward Spiral sounds surprisingly mellow now, to me, when I compare it to the messy and in-ya-face crap sometimes broadcast on contemporary radio.

My most powerful memory of "Halo 8" is of playing it late nights in the mid-'90s, as I got ready to fall asleep in my black Nine Inch Nails T-shirt. I had hot girls on my mind from drama class, and Hurt to learn on the piano.

I wonder if my sweet Tawny would like me to play it for her around the house? I don't want to make her cry, though!

[ 18. June 2008, 01:34: Message edited by: The Horned King ]

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Horned King- I haven't seen you around here in awhile (but I haven't been around here either).....I remembered though from before that you were not married when you use to post, so congrats on your marriage. I hope all is well for you. I have never heard even 1 song by this group....but it is nice to see you again. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing them live and in person at Woodstock 1994 in that huge mud pit was when I really began to notice them. I bought "Pretty Hate Machine" back when it came out on CD and it was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. I still listen to "Terrible Lie" daily. Their performance at the Woodstock festival was by far my fave. They bring back memories of my college years and not having a care in the world. You could tell they were gonna be big plus everyone says that performance and the exposure really put them on the map. Trent seems to have really calmed down today and laid off the drugs. The DVD "And All That Could Have Been" is in my top five of concert DVD's. Have you heard any of the new Ghosts I-IV or The Slip releases? The Downward Spiral was and still is a masterpiece.

-

[ 18. June 2008, 06:09: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purely for the sake of keeping everything on topic, I'm moving this thread over to the Social Club.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horned King how awesome for you with the accomplishments in your life.. [Smile]

I remember seeing Head like a Hole on 120 minutes and always loving it.....but not really knowing much about the band. The Downward Spiral was a big deal.....NIN became pretty mainstream.....would the drama class girls have loved them before haha

Hurt is one of my favorites songs the lyrics the music it's one of those that gives you chills everytime you hear it. When Cash covered it!.........I cried.......I grew up loving Cash and how crazy that he could sing it with the same strength and delivery and Rezner. I saw their Spiral tour......the dropped sheet with the b&w film was great. Marilyn Manson and the Jim Rose Circus side show opened for them......my friends and I actually met Twiggy and Jim Rose haha and Jim Rose was the weird one......haha Twiggy was nice and pretty straight......anyway i'm a NIN fan and Reznor fan for sure!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first NIN song I ever heard was "Something I Can Never Have." I was in college at the time, and it completely summed up how I felt at that time. I'm not a big NIN fan, but I still love that song, and I also like "Hurt." Someone mentioned the Johnny Cash version...I've heard it, but I still prefer the NIN version.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first song i heard was "hurt" and i immediately bought the downward spiral. i haven't always payed NIN a lot of attention but i do like the music.
just this week, i have been listening to the year zero remixed cd...

or Y34RZ3r0r3mix3d [Wink]

i too, prefer NIN's version of hurt more than johnny cash....

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty Hate Machine in 1989 I believe. Great stuff.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first time i heard this band was when head like a hole cam,e out i watched the head like a whole video on mtv thats how i descovered this band
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had never heard of Nine Inch Nails until I saw the music video of his one-minute song "Pinion". Weird weird stuff. Kinda like a David Lynch movie. [Eek!]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what a way to come back from being off the '80s rewind for two years -- Post about a mainly '90s-centric band, hahaha!

Hey, Isis and Muffy, thanks for the congrats. I was spending time with my sweetheart, starting my own family, and I was gone a lot of nights with my band, as well, when I would normally be online chatting with you all. I have a great wife and daughter, as well as some very cool stepkids, and a funny little cat.

We finally got a PC connected to the Net last year, and not just my laptop, so it is easier to come back and visit. (My laptop is a relic now anyway, a Compaq Presario that decided to deep fry its hard drive.)

I was going to say, NowhereGirl, that I also like Nine Inch Nails' version of Hurt the most, and it was just awesome that Johnny Cash picked that song to be his last "magnum opus," as Charlotte the spider put it.

No, Motley Maestro, I haven't heard the new Ghosts or anything else. I can't wait to get back into that kind of music again. I have a lot of time to do that, now that I am watching my baby daughter during the day and not working so much. I go to Youtube and Yahoo Music a lot.

PettyFan, that is one of the coolest songs, "Something I Can Never Have." I love the reverb and sad piano melody. It reminds me of Alanis Morrisette's "Uninvited."

StevenHW, there is one NIN video not meant to be seen by human eyes. Beware... I am talking about "Happiness in Slavery." If you know about this one, I sympathize. It's pretty gruesome! Worse than David Lynch, I thought, hehe!

I have to say, '80sRocked, that Pretty Hate Machine has spent more time in my CD player than The Downward Spiral. I like them both.

And, joker, don't you long for the days when you could see cool videos like "Head Like A Hole" on MTV, when MTV was the BOSS of the music video industry?

On that note, I gots to go. It is past my bedtime. I have to rest up for a play I am acting in this weekend...

By the way, my wife and I are going to see a KILLER concert this Monday night: Cyndi Lauper, the B-52's and Joan Jett, live in Oklahoma City. Hooo-hooo!!!

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything Zen - There's no sex in your violence...

The first time I had ever heard of them was in 1995 (I think). My friend kept singing this song and saying "There's no sex in your violence"... I was like, what are you listening to dude? Good band... [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:

The first time I had ever heard of them was in 1995 (I think). My friend kept singing this song and saying "There's no sex in your violence"... I was like, what are you listening to dude? Good band... [Smile]

I thought that was Bush?
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:

I thought that was Bush?
Busted!  - Yup. That's Bush... I was thinking of "like an animal" by NIN. My friend used to sing both of these songs and he introduced me to these groups. I just got them mixed up. Good catch...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Jdocster04's post:
quote:
Yup. That's Bush... I was thinking of "like an animal" by NIN. My friend used to sing both of these songs and he introduced me to these groups. I just got them mixed up. Good catch...
That NIN song that goes "I'm going to f____ you like an animal", is called "Closer". I tried to sing that song once at a karaoke bar, but nearly got tossed out because the bar owner didn't like to hear any swear words out loud! [Eek!]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
Part of Jdocster04's post:
quote:
Yup. That's Bush... I was thinking of "like an animal" by NIN. My friend used to sing both of these songs and he introduced me to these groups. I just got them mixed up. Good catch...
That NIN song that goes "I'm going to f____ you like an animal", is called "Closer". I tried to sing that song once at a karaoke bar, but nearly got tossed out because the bar owner didn't like to hear any swear words out loud! [Eek!]
I was kind of timid about posting the f_ part... I wish I could have seen you do the karaoke though. I would have laughed my @ss off... It's amazing what alcohol will do to you isn't it. [Smile]
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everything zen is bush and not nine inch nails
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by joker:
everything zen is bush and not nine inch nails

Thanks for pointing that out... [Wink]
Lloyd_Dobler
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7119

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lloyd_Dobler   Email Lloyd_Dobler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1989-I was in the navy; stationed in Norfolk, VA. I was reading an issue of Rolling Stone. The first NIN album was reviewed; quite positively. I went next door (it was in a mall) to a music store and bought "Pretty Hate Machine". I listened to it later that night on my ship. Been hooked ever since. Great music. Reznor is a genius.
Posts: 64 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first saong of there I heard was The Perfect Drug. I bought the single!!! I love that song its ace.
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soz for the mistakes in that post, christ I really must give up typing at 1am!!!
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home