iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Songs From The 00's That have an 80's Feel (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Songs From The 00's That have an 80's Feel
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother Firetribe - Wildest Dreams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybjuq7EiBIQ

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My buddy aTomiK just introduced me to this awesome band from Finland. I can't stop listening to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAo6eDc87Iw

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question. Why is it now cool to dress sort of 80's, listen to 80's music, and produce music that sounds like 80's music? Back in the 90's, all of the "hipster" kids thought that we were so lame growing up in the 80's. I remember going to buy Motley Crue concert tickets in 1999,(this was before you could buy them around here online) and the kid working at National Record Mart was disgusting- he had dirty clothes on and dreadlocks (Lord knows what grows in there). He ripped me dirty and laughed at me when I told him I needed to buy 4 tix to Motley Crue. Wonder what he is doing now- probably still hangin' at the mall with all of his dirty-hippie-wanna-be friends from the 90's!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My theory is that it's always a decade ahead. The 70's were supposed to be terrible for clothes etc, but in the 90's and early 00's me, my boyfriend and all my friends wore flares, garish floral shirts etc....we were totally 70's throwbacks....but then the 80's fashion started to be everywhere....now I notice high top trainers etc are coming back.....so that's my theory.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
My buddy aTomiK just introduced me to this awesome band from Finland. I can't stop listening to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAo6eDc87Iw

Yeah, that is a great song.
The single was no.1 for two weeks about a year ago
in the Finnish charts.

Strum und Drang´s second album Rock´n´roll Children
went straight to no.2 in the Finnish album chart this week.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Strum und Drang´s second album Rock´n´roll Children went straight to no.2 in the Finnish album chart this week.

I'll have to get that one chief! I already downloaded all of "Learning to Rock" and man does it rock!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second Northern Kings album is out now!

Once again there´s some great cover versions here:

01. Training Montage (Vince DiCola; “Rocky IV” soundtrack)
02. Wanted Dead Or Alive (BON JOVI)
03. Kiss From A Rose (SEAL)
04. A View To A Kill (DURAN DURAN)
05. Nothing Compares 2 U (SINEAD O’CONNOR)
06. My Way (FRANK SINATRA)
07. Strangelove (DEPECHE MODE)
08. Take On Me (A-HA)
09. I Should Be So Lucky (KYLIE MINOGUE)
10. Killer (ADAMSKI feat. SEAL)
11. Roisin Dubh (Black Rose): A Rock Legend (THIN LIZZY)

Northern Kings - Training Montage (2008)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaq0vrQ22M&feature=related

Northern Kings - Take On Me (2008)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlupRATWkm0

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to check out a band called

Black Tide

Very 80s sounding.

I'm also liking

Royal Bliss
Z02
Bullet For My Valentine
Rev Theory

There's a lot of good rock music out there right now you just have to look for it as it doesn't get much radioplay on mainstream stations. Thank god I have Music Choice.

[ 21. November 2008, 10:56: Message edited by: Toxic Sammy Hain ]

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good choice on all Sam. I especially like Black Tide. Black Tide's "Shockwave" has a huge 80s feel to it........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0E6nsE6_e4

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Shy - Unfinished Business, 2002

-

This band, "Shy", was more metal in the 80's and 90's, but in the 00's, they sound more like 80's AOR. Reminds me of bands like Journey now. The whole album, "Unfinished Business", totally blew me away.

[ 07. July 2010, 10:22: Message edited by: 80'sRocked ]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
Good choice on all Sam. I especially like Black Tide. Black Tide's "Shockwave" has a huge 80s feel to it........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0E6nsE6_e4

I prefer 'Live Fast Die Young'

but 'Shockwave' is pretty darn good too

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few songs that sound 80s-ish to me:

Glasvegas' "Geraldine"
web page

Cut Copy's "Lights & Music"
web page

The Killer's "The World That We Live In"
web page

Nelly Furtado's "Say it Right"
web page

I also think that the band Clear Static sounds very 80s-ish, especially "Dancing with Strangers", which I cant find a decent link to.

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
Shy - Unfinished Business, 2002

-

This band, "Shy", was more metal in the 80's and 90's, but in the 00's, they sound more like 80's AOR. Reminds me of bands like Journey now. The whole album, "Unfinished Business", totally blew me away. Here's a taste:

Shy - Skydiving (YouTube Clip)

This album is a masterpiece!
Cheers 80s!

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
W.E.T. is a new "supergroup" that has an awesome 80's sound....brilliant music:

If I Fall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJum5r8FxU

One Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2h46lryxY

Invincible - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsTLkTbzVvU

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good 80s style electropop from Manchester!

HURTS - Better Than Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8tBgI1BVQ

-

Princess Pooh
Master Rewinder
Member # 5798

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Princess Pooh   Email Princess Pooh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shake it by Metro Station
and
Fireflies by Owl City

Everytime I here either of these on the radio, I feel I am back in the 80s.

Posts: 156 | From: London | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I have always felt that the 2003 song "Hey Ya!" by Outkast sounds like it could've been released in the latter half of the 80's.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Room 5 featuring Oliver Cheatham, "Make Luv."

I think that could have come from the 80's.

[ 11. July 2010, 03:47: Message edited by: Lovers with Cassie ]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter likes on by LA ROUX called Bulletproof. If you didnt know any better youd swear it was 1985 and you were listening to ALISHA.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you didnt know any better youd swear it was 1985 and you were listening to ALISHA.
Ah... the old 'originality by theft' which is dependent on being too young to remember the original stuff.

If I ever hear modern songs that sound 80's, I just want to listen to original 80's songs. At least back in the day they were doing something 'new', rather than rehashing something else.

Rant rant grumble grumble.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Good 80s style electropop from Manchester!

HURTS - Better Than Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8tBgI1BVQ

Good call, Atomik, I really like HURTS. The handful of songs they've released so far are pretty good. Very much leaning towards late 80s slick synth stylings. I'm looking forward to the full debut album.

Another good synthpop group is Mirrors. This song, Into The Heart, sounds similar to Echo and The Bunnymen to me.

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, not bad at all Secret Admirer!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Rush" is number 1 on the Finnish album chart right now.
Pretty good tune from this Finnish artist.

Anna Abreu - Hysteria

-

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home