iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 83)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  95  96  97   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched two documentaries the other day:

Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle (2013) and The Go-Go Boys: The Inside Story Of Cannon Films (2014)

Superheroes... was highly entertaining stuff and deals with the history of the superhero comic book genre and its influence on American culture.
From the birth of Supreman to this day. I knew lots about the genre before but you can always learn more.

THE GO-GO BOYS: The Inside Story of Cannon Films is a documentary about the Israeli-born cousins, Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus.
The Cannon films is one of the most important companies for me and while i liked this documentary, it left me hungry.
We can see actors like Dudikoff and Van Damme discussing about the films but the clips are short.
Like the title says, this film is about the two fellas who started the company, now we need a documentary about the actual movies they made.

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

watched the 2014 action thriller 3 days to kill starring kevin costner as a dying c.i.a agent who is on the trail of an international terrorist known as the wolf and at the same time trying to reconcile with his estranged teenage daughter who he has had next to no contact with over the years.

this was a pretty fun action flick with a couple of daft but high octane action scenes,the car chase through the streets of paris was one such highlight.

-

costner was very likeable here and it's a pity we don't see him more often in these type of parts (action hero ala taken,bond) as i'd say he pulls it off quite well.

the paris locations were cool as were the many sports cars on display and amber heard who also stars looks as stunning as ever.

it's a movie that's pretty easy on the eye and the brain and even though it falls far short of the similary themed 'taken' there's still enough fun to be had here to entertain the majority of folks for its 1hr 30 - 2 hr run time!

https://youtu.be/TbXfZlD2eNk - 3 days to kill trailer.

ps. that cannon films documentary looks great,i can't wait to get around to watching it,i think it hits dvd here sometime within the next month.

[ 28. June 2015, 12:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a few others that i have watched over the last 3-4 weeks

-

entertaining 2011 horror/thriller with a very trippy plot where a young divorcee woman (played by twilight's rachelle Lefevre) moves into a new apartment and starts receiving phone calls from a mysterious old lady who says she is calling her from the past,when the calls persist and get more threatening the young woman chooses to ignore them not realizing that the mysterious old lady on the end of the line also posseses the ability to change her past and future.

slow moving but quite atmospheric low budget modern horror with a pretty original storyline (though some have mentioned it is very reminiscent of the 2000 sci-fi drama frequency though that i can't recollect) add decent performances as well from all involved and you have an above average hour and a half of thrills and chills!

also who ever done the voice over for the old lady's phone calls sounded well creepy,it sounded a bit like mother phoning from the bates motel [Eek!]

-

enjoyable sequel to the 2005 australian horror hit wolf creek which certainly ups the gore and the pace this time around with even managing to add a few good laughs along the way but it does loose some of the grittiness and realism of the original in the process!

while watching it i thought i recognized one of the australian road cops at the begining of wolf creek 2 and i was right it was shane connor http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0270359/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5 who played joe scully in the hit australian soap neighbours from all those years back.

talking off the aussie daytime soap neighbours i absolutely hate the theme tune to it now
https://youtu.be/1zXF2v4ZgaU and i'll tell you why a couple of doors away from us we have a real bunch of anti social so and so's and one day they had there music blaring out full blast and before i knew it my wife had already gone around to complain (she doesn't stand for too much of there nonsense) and next thing after she had returned there was us thinking that it had all been sorted and then next thing they started playing the neighbours theme song at full blast

" neighbours, Everybody needs good neighbours
With a little understanding
You can find the perfect blend
Neighbours...should be there for one another
That's when good neighbours become good friends
Ooh Neighbours, should be there for one another
That's when good neighbours become good friends"

[Mad]

sorry to get so sidetracked and back to wolf creek 2 and that i'd just like to finish off by saying that i think it's an above average horror sequel that's well worth checking out if you get chance.

-

also watched the 2007 seann william scott comedy - mr woodcock which wasn't bad,had a few good laughs here and there.

and lastly

-

2012 supernatural thriller - the shadow people which is supposedly based on true events.

nothing amazing but still worthy of a watch,liked the way they mixed in real media footage of the case in question within the film.

not bad overall.

[ 29. June 2015, 12:29: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 Days to Kill was good. We saw it in the theater. We're going to see Ted 2 this weekend.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have not seen Ted 1. Been meaning to watch it though. I have seen a few bits and pieces of it. Will probably see this at the cinema too but might watch 1 first.

I watched All is Lost with Robert Redford. It got rave reviews but there really is nothing original here. Nothing that we have not see in other lost at sea movies plus I got a bit of a sense of it slightly ripping off The Old Man and the Sea. All in all I thought it was pretty boring.

[ 29. June 2015, 23:45: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Dr. Frank Sangster is a straight-laced dentist who because of one innocent lie, finds his tidy, prosperous life transformed into a comic quagmire
of illicit sex, illegal drugs and inexplicable murder in this brilliantly offbeat, bitingly comedic film!" (IMDb)

Watched Novocaine (2001) which was pretty entertaining black comedy with some blood and violence.
The film´s theme doesn´t surprise because director Davis Atkins´ father and two brothers are dentists.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I take it Steve martin doesn't do the same song and dance routine in Novocaine that he did as the mad dentist in little shop of horrors [Big Grin]

Never seen novocaine or the one he done a few years later called shopgirl,always been quite curious about that one as I've read a few favourable reviews.

I still think out of all of Steve Martin's films the one I've not yet watched that I'm most eager to check out is - leap of faith which he done with Debra winger sometime back I think early 90s or so.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Novocaine way back in the day at the Toronto International Film Festival. (Sadly, Martin didn't show up for the screening.) Of all the films that Martin has done, I think that this is his least well known one. I agree that it's a pretty good black comedy. (Heck, dentistry is always good for a few sick jokes, see the recent Horrible Bosses 1 and 2 too. [Smile] ) Leap of Faith has a typically good dramatic performance by Martin, Debra Winger, and a nice look, but it just lacked something. I haven't seen it in years. One of my favorite Martin dramatic performances is in David Mamet's truly great The Spanish Prisoner. I haven't seen Shop Girl.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The mad dentist in The Little Shop of Horrors is Steve Martin in his prime IMO.
I watched Leap of Faith back in the early 90s and also recall that it lacked something.
Maybe i was only thinking Steve Martin film = comedy and was disappointed because it was more drama, i don´t know.
In any case i should rewatch the film. The Spanish Prisoner is great indeed, haven´t seen Shopgirl.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leap of Faith is not too bad. Yes, it lacks something but it's still not too bad.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

any of you guys seen this very entertaining 2014 thriller - cold in july yet?

i more or less liked everything about this one,for starters it's got some really great performances(especially from sam shepherd & don johnson),a really cool soundtrack with a 80s feel synth score ala john carpenter,a very twisty turny plot which at about the halfway mark veered off in a completely different direction as to what i was expecting and a very tense & exciting finale!

i would say this is probably one of the better thrillers I've seen in a while actually,I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of this for myself on blu Ray when I get a chance.

Great stuff!

https://youtu.be/5E4hblwwB98 - cold in july ost - cosmo black.

https://youtu.be/UO63ccU6ce0 - cold in july trailer.

[ 05. July 2015, 23:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way did I expect to have that much fun watching the new Terminator!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
OK Helen please don't give anything away but I take it that you think the new Terminator is good? I love the first 2 but am a huge fan of number 1 mainly and feel that 3 and 4 completely ruined the franchise. I hope this one redeems the 3rd and the 4th. What do you think?
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sooo much better than 3 and 4. There was a couple of little tiny things that I thought meh too but I just wasn't bored for a second of it. Arnie was in much more than I thought he was gonna be and he was great [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Fantastic! I thought the previews looked pretty good. I can't wait to see it. It comes out on Thursday here.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i had noticed the latest terminator seemed to be getting quite a bit of positive feedback online,i also loved the first two.

hated part 3 though and didn't bother with 4 but this new entry seems a lot more promising!

i see arnie has a few more sequels in the pipeline - triplets and the legend of conan.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the Cold in July links, warrior. Sounds and looks awesome, just ordered the blu-ray.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Thanks for the Cold in July links, warrior. Sounds and looks awesome, just ordered the blu-ray.

i reckon chances are you'll like it atomik,as soon as it finished my wife and i both said at the exact sametime that it was a really good film and if you like sam shepherd and don johnson it's a no brainer!

i have always thought don johnson's a pretty underatted actor from watching him back in the
great john frankenheimer thriller dead bang,pity we don't see him on the big screen more often.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´m a big Don Johnson fan, i even like the two albums he did back in the 80s.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i see there's actually a finish band named after him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Johnson_Big_Band

i wonder if tubbs (philip Michael Thomas) has got one named after him as well? [Big Grin]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Don Johnson Big Band made few highly succesful tunes here in early to mid 00s.

There should be a band named after PMT too [Big Grin]
He also made two albums during the 80s, haven´t heard those but i remember he sang some songs for Miami Vice series.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A group of misfits enter a Las Vegas dodgeball tournament in order to save their cherished local gym from the onslaught of a corporate health fitness chain."

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Frankenweenie - The stop motion was beautiful. Loved all the classic film references and the new parts were a hoot. But it didn't quite have the heart of the original short film.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Terminator Genesis was pretty good. Really good if you are a big fan of the first one. Not as good as it could have been but pretty good and worth watching. I'd give it 7.5/10.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yay!
  This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  95  96  97   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home