iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 76)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  95  96  97   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dredd 3D

Forget anything you learned about Judge Dredd from Sylvester Stallone, this movie is the real deal. Karl Urban was excellent in the title role and I was engrossed from start to finish.

Also, the 3D was excellent and is worth paying extra for!

The penalty is...NOMS [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Extremely stupid high concept, well-made film, so serious as to be joyless. A high concept this stupid should have been fun, not a slog.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meow [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I liked it.. Totally not what i was expecting from this movie

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jack and jill, i thought pacino was funny in it.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was talking about abraham lincoln vampire hunter the other day, now outside of the whole supernatural element involving the vampires, i had a hang up on the unrealistic idea that lincoln found the time in his busy life in between making log cabins and obtaining a law degree and practising the law that he would have enough time in the day to practise this incredible martial arts like skill with the woodcutter's axe, there are only 24 hours in the day, you have to sleep some time, where did he find the time to learn all this twirling and spining and fantastic manuverablity with this weapon.

i havent read the book, but i assumed by hearing the title, that abe took up the task of vampire hunting as a problem that presented itself and needed to be dealt with, not something he has been preparing for years like a samurai, so i assumed abe was going to be a somewhat clumsy, very unpolished fighter of the undead which i would find to be a interesting story, but after seeing the trailer i was dissapointed

maybe the book is more like my idea of it

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL! You see, Abe's mom had been killed by vampires, setting him on a quest for revenge, so he did indeed spend a lot of time, under the watchful eye of a vampire-hunter mentor, to learn the necessary martial arts moves. (Though in the movie, the whole training sequence is basically depicted as Abe getting angry and chopping down a tree in three strokes of the axe. LOL)

Anyway, the movie was sooooo deadly serious and lacking in any sense of fun that, for us U.S. viewers, I half expected Laura Linney to show up and say, "Next on PBS's Masterpiece Classics, the 16th President of the United States must defeat a bloodthirsty horde of vampires to win the Civil War." [Smile]

Actually, your point, GP, as good as it is, was not the most unrealistic thing in the movie, only because you haven't witnessed the scene where Honest Abe and the lead vampire (played by Rufus Sewell, an always good and interesting actor somehow stuck in this thing) duke it out by jumping from horse to horse during a horse stampede consisting of about 5,000 horses. It's that kind of movie. Groan...

[ 24. September 2012, 23:13: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
it sounds like i have seen all there is to see in the trailer from what you told me. that whole seriousness thing is hurting horror movies these days, the best thing about the horror movies of the past was the fun, at least for me it was

that is funny about laura linney, because i can see her saying that line with conviction

i think it would have been great to see abe, slaying a few vampires, much like in coppola's dracula where van helsing and the boys took out lucy in the mausoleum, then do a light clean up, using handkerchief to remove some minute blood splatter, before going out and delivering the gettysburg address in the same night. minutes earlier chopping off a head, later on talking about all men are created equal

missed a good opportunity there

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
GP, I'm with you on what you said about the seriousness/self-importance of some recent horror films. I also saw House at the End of the Street with two former best actress nomineess, Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Shue, and, boy, was that a depressing experience. (Shue's career has been over for some time, but Lawrence needs to tell her agent that she's not going to take anymore junky teen horror films.) The story was by Jonathan Mostow, who did a really cool little thriller with Kurt Russell called "Breakdown" in 1997, and who was supposedly going to direct "House" back in the 90s from a screenplay by Richard Price, who did "The Color of Money" and "Clockers." Well, Mostow still has a story credit, but the film was directed by newbie Mark Tonderai. While the big plot twist at the beginning of the third act is not bad, the movie is poorly directed with lazy character development, dingy cinematography, and hazy flashbacks--all of which it takes with the utmost seriousness. It's just a cheapjack juvenile PG-13 horror film with pretentions of being the next big thing, which it is not, and it's actually crummier than some direct-to-video stuff that I've seen lately.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
the last decent contemporary horror film i have watched was tucker and dale vs evil, it brought back the fun, the only drawback to the film was the contemporary style of acting, but that may have been a bit of a underlying comedic element, given some of those character's fates.

on a personal note, i have never liked elizabeth shue, something about her personality throws me off

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was hilarious. It was well done and very, very funny in all the crazy permutations of its essentially one-joke plot.

I'm like "meh" on Elizabeth Shue, as I can take her or leave her. I'll admit that she was very good in "Leaving Las Vegas," but if you don't like her, this new film isn't going to change your mind. She was not very flatteringly lighted either. But then again, the whole film has a dingy look to it, and almost made the otherwise charming Jennifer Lawrence look bad. Almost... [Smile]

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
got my own idea for a movie

martin van buren: witchfinder president

the great american land grab (working title)

they found some witches living in teepees down by the river, lets put them on the trail of tears and walk the witchcraft right out of them, they'll give up on all that evil about the time they get out oklahoma way, yeah thats far enough west, for now...

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was so disillusioned he had to join us.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Too funny! How about "Millard Fillmore, Exorcist"? Or "Richard Nixon, Ghostbuster"? [Smile]

[ 28. September 2012, 12:32: Message edited by: Crash ]

Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Rock Star" (2001) starring Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston.
Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood Trails - No, just no.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looper

Opinions vary on this movie over on IMDB but as usual this appears to be from people trying to read too much into it or stating dumb what if type questions.

I personally love dit, I though the acting was great, the story intriguing and the whole time travel concept both confusing yet thought provoking.

A strong 8/10 from me.

The Noms Maker [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I really liked Looper and would also give it an 8/10. It's not the tremendous masterpiece that some say that it is, nor is writer-director Rian Johnson the second coming of Christopher Nolan. (Yet. He's showing a lot of promise though.) But that said, it's a terrific entertainment, clever with great acting, an extremely well-made film. I have been describing it to friends as "The Terminator and 12 Monkeys Meet Children of the Corn and The Fury." (Or I suppose that I could say that it is "Ridley Scott and Philip K. D i ck meet Terence Malick and Brian DePalma.") When you see it, you'll know what I mean... [Smile]
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rec 3 : Genesis (2012)

This third entry doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the previous parts (although i haven't
seen the second one), and is completely different in style.
It works pretty well as a stand-alone splatter-fest though.. and splatter there is !
There's some serious squishy bloodshed on display here ! [Big Grin]

I watched this on the recently released UK blu-ray, which looks stunning. The disc also has a
feature-length making-of.

Trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzGK2uy7Es

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Man on Fire" from 2004 directed by the late Tony Scott.

A former agent (Denzel Washington) is assigned to be a bodyguard to protect a young girl (Dakota Fanning) in Mexico. But when she gets kidnapped, he must find a way to get her back and will stop at nothing to kill each of the people who held her captive.

I really enjoyed seeing this movie as it completely held my attention to see what is going on. Costars Christopher Walken, Radha Mitchell, Marc Anthony, Giancarlo Giannini, Rachel Ticotin and Mickey Rourke.

Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
larry crowne, tom hanks makes good movies or he makes movies good, i could see this movie not being as good if casted different
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
"Timeline" from 2003 directed by Richard Donner.

Based on the novel by Michael Crichton, a group of students headed by Paul Walker and Gerard Butler, time travels back to the medieval times in order to rescue their professor (Billy Connolly).

Another lame movie adaptation from Crichton that follows in line with "Congo", "The Lost World", "Sphere" and "The 13th Warrior".

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prometheus (2012)

Watched Prometheus last night and it was a highly entertaining sci-fi action film.
Not a classic like Alien but still a very good movie.

Many people seem to over analyze the script and hate the film but i´m not one of those persons.

Fantastic special effects and excellent performances from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender.
Especially the automated surgery table sequence was breathtaking.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, i've watched Prometheus too last week. [Smile]

I'm not really sure how well it holds up as a prequel to Alien, but as a stand-alone sci-fi flick,
it certainly delivered the goods !

Pretty happy with my 4 disc collecter's edition, yay ! [Cool]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
here comes the boom

i liked it

This topic comprises 97 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  95  96  97   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home