iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 101)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 104 pages: 1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Cutlass (2007)

Short film, thus far the sole directorial effort for actress Kate Hudson (who also wrote the story), has an all-star cast,
including Virginia Madsen, Dakota Fanning, Kristen Stewart, Kate's own stepdad Kurt Russel, Chevy Chase, and
Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones, and features music by Humble Pie, Sly & The Family Stone, and Kool & The Gang.

It's a feelgood movie about the pursuit of happiness, the differences between generations, and the fact that in
the end nothing has changed all that much, even though it may feel that way sometimes.

Simply put, there's a whole lot of awesomeness tucked inside its 15 minute runtime ! [Smile]

This charming little film deserves to be more widely seen, because it's funny and bound to make your day ! If you're
not familiar with this one yet, i urge you to check it out, because it stands for everything that we love about movies !

Currently the best version available can be found right here : www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUqBF0n30o

Posts: 2127 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -

Last three Goldie Hawn films Town & Country (2001), The Banger Sisters (2002) and Snatched (2017)

T&C is one of the biggest flops ever and no one wants to see it.
Three years in the making, young people have no interest watching old geezers fooling around and old people think itīs embarrassing. Avoid!

The Banger Sisters was surprisingly good. Goldie looks cool and her character just rocks.

Snatched made me laugh few times, especially during the first 30 mins. After the kidnapping it gets quite boring though. Schumer was energetic and overall itīs a decent film.

Posts: 7362 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched the live action Ghost in the Shell (2017) and while itīs nowhere near the ī95 anime, itīs not a disaster either.
The story is simpler but thereīs lots of eye candy and i have to give Scarlett Johannsson some credit because sheīs pretty cool.
Of course they have watered down some things we saw in the anime and i canīt help but wonder how, letīs say, Verhoeven wouldīve made this.

Posts: 7362 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -  -

Mel Gibson triple threat Edge of Darkness (2010), The Beaver (2011) and Get the Gringo (2012)

All good movies, especially Edge of Darkness which is based on the 1985 BBC television series of the same name.
Love the plot and the performances, Mel is fantastic!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did like Edge of Darkness, though it can't hold a candle to the original BBC mini-series with Joe Don Baker. It is widely considered one of the best British TV series of all time, finishing 15th on the 2000 BFI list.
Posts: 2108 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vaguely remember Town & Country and that it was really bad. I liked Get the Gringo and Edge of Darkenss. I really don't have any interest in seeing The Beaver.
Posts: 2036 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
During the first 30 mins i thought that The Beaver was pretty bad but it gets better along the way and does have a point.
It includes some comedic elements (the trailer wants people to think that itīs a comedy) but is really a drama about mentally ill person. Donīt let the trailer fool ya!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -  -  -  -

Believe it or not but i watched all six Bring It On films [Smile]
The original Bring It On (2000) is a great comedy and i also recommend the fourth movie In It to Win It (2007).
Other ones, not so good and the sixth film (Bring It On: Worldwide #Cheersmack, 2017) was a cheermiliating cheersaster [Big Grin]

And btw, Finland won itīs first gold medal at the International Cheer Union 2018 World Cheerleading Championships last weekend with a fantastic performance. Yay!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Blood Father (2016)

"An ex-con reunites with his estranged wayward 17-year old daughter to protect her from drug dealers who are trying to kill her."

This was a good thriller but not great.
Gibson rocks and it was nice to see Michael Parks in one of his last roles but the story and overall feel didnīt quite satisfy me.

Always nice to see the New Mexico landscapes.

Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful Creatures
Josie and the Pussycats

Posts: 3880 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Ex Machina (2014)

"A young programmer is selected to participate in a ground-breaking experiment in synthetic intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a breath-taking humanoid A.I." (IMDb)

This was a very good small budget sci-fi movie with interesting plot, nice atmosphere, cool sfx and settings and i really liked Alicia Vikanderīs performance.
This is for those who enjoy watching 70s thinking manīs sci-fi films, not quite classic but close!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -  -

More cheerleader/cheerleading films: Fired Up! (2009), Jenniferīs Body (2009) and #1 Cheerleader Camp (2010).

Fired Up! is a very good comedy, itīs in fact one of the best 00s comedies iīve seen so check it out!

Jenniferīs Body was a pretty good horror film which i enjoyed watching. The kills are mostly off screen though and i wanted to see more body! [Big Grin]

#1 Cheerleader Camp is Asylum stuff so i didnīt expect much but itīs actually the best Asylum film iīve seen. Lots of skin on offer in this one.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Fun 2017 horror thriller which is picking up some quite favourable reviews which uses the same scenario of the ace Bill Murray comedy Groundhog Day of reliving the same day over and over but here with a horror slant to the proceedings in which the main female lead is being continually murdered again and again until she can finally work out who the perpetrator is?

Cast of complete unknowns to me as is the director but across the board all the performances were pretty solid especially main female lead Jessica Rothe who I thought was terrific here,as with all mainstream PG-13 horrors the kills were pretty bloodless and there's no nudity to speak of but there is a fair smattering of raunchy dialogue though obviously nothing too extreme plus some good comedic moments throughout that will raise a giggle or two!

Yeah I enjoyed this one and it's one of the better Blumhouse horror productions so far and while the plot device of reliving the same day over & over is nothing new and ripped straight out of Groundhog Day (the makers obviously being well aware of this fact as the movie Groundhog Day is referenced by one of the main characters towards the films finale) it's all staged well enough to make this repeat then repeat again scenario still feel rather fresh plus the fact that it's played out for thrills than laughs this time around!

Good fun 8/10

https://youtu.be/1NTaDm3atkc - Happy Death Day (2017) trailer.

-

I've got Fired Up Atomik which I picked up sometime back on Blu Ray (my copy above which is region free) of ebay for really cheap,it was a blind buy for me and I agree it's got some great laughs in it and was way better than what I was expecting!

[ 20. May 2018, 16:34: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3515 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Cool, warrior! I need to check out Happy Death Day.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"In 1970, drug-fueled Los Angeles private investigator Larry "Doc" Sportello investigates the disappearance of a former girlfriend." (IMDb)

Watched Inherent Vice (2014) and liked it very much, PTA just canīt fail.
Itīs a mistake if you overanalyze this film, just enjoy the ride and the atmosphere. Great cast and lotīs of sexy girls here. Recommended!

[ 21. May 2018, 01:56: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Mercenaries aka Expendabelles 3.0 (2014)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3598222/

This was a super bad Expendables rip-off with a girl cast from the Asylum studios. Avoid!

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Funny you guys were talking about Happy Death Day and the Groundhog Day story construction, because last week
i watched yet another movie based on the same formula : The Tom Cruise sci-fi spectacle Edge Of Tomorrow (2014) !

Cruise plays a US army major sent to the front in Europe where pesky tentacled aliens have begun to conquer Earth.
His lack of active fighting duty gets him killed pretty much right away, but inexplicably wakes up the previous day,
over and over again, each time getting to live a little bit longer to find out what's happening and trying to find a way
to stop the alien invasion in the process.

Emily Blunt and the late Bill Paxton co-star, and director Doug Liman teamed up with Cruise again for American Made.

Kinda like Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers, Edge Of Tomorrow is two hours worth of solid entertainment ! [Smile]

Posts: 2127 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here's one more movie dealing with an infinite time loop: 12:01, a TV movie from 1993 starring Helen Slater and Jonathan Silverman and directed by the great Jack ("The Hidden") Sholder.
Posts: 2108 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -

Two superhero films Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Both entertaining films but i have a warning, if you liked the more "adul" version of Thor you may hate Ragnarok because itīs anything but serious.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -
 -  -

More cheerleader films: Sugar & Spice (2001), Ninja Cheerleaders (2008) and All Cheerleaders Die (2013)

The first one is loosely based on true story and itīs quite ok but not fun enough.

Ninja Cheerleaders is very stupid but somehow i enjoyed watching it [Big Grin]

I have to give All Cheerleaders Die some credit because it tries something different.
A low-budget film but this teen horror black magic vampire film has some nice ideas and moments.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Whiplash (2014)

"A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential." (IMDb)

Cool story, great cast and characters plus good music. What else do you need from a movie?
Director Damien Chazelle sure is a wonder kid. Highly recommended!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
aTomiK, have you seen Grand Piano based on Chazelle's film school script? It's the best DePalma film that DePalma didn't do. [Smile]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Havenīt seen it Crash but iīm gonna get it. The IMDb ratings arenīt that high so iīm not expecting too much.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Grand Piano has a most preposterous plot--but then again, Speed did too--but it's beautifully directed with lots of DePalma-esque tracking shots, split screen, etc. And it has Elijah Wood and John Cusack having a lot of fun. I found it to be pretty darned entertaining. (And since it's a Chazelle film, you know it has great music since it's about music. [Smile] )
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Gone Girl (2014)

"With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent." (IMDb)

A David Fincher film which starts nicely and is well made but itīs impossible to accept the final act. Few interesting twists and turns in this one though.

This topic comprises 104 pages: 1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home