iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » The Dark Knight- Heath Ledger (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Dark Knight- Heath Ledger
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was the last time Newman did something? Redford IMO is, was, and always has been overrated. Eastwood is the most talented out of the three you mentioned. He said exciting dialogue not dialogue as a whole when mentioning Louise Fletcher. Maybe if they'd had Bale dressed in leg warmers, talking Valley Girl talk, showing little talent it would appeal to some people. Sorry if a movie with actual plot confused you........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am talking about when they won Academy Awards...not like from last week...in 20-30 years from now...let's see where Christian Bale is.

Motley...you are just so funny....there was no plot to the movie...that's why I was confused.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you honestly sit there and say there was no plot? You also failed to specify the 20-30 year ago thing or was that to cover tracks? There was plot throughout the movie but as I said earlier I guess it was hard for those to see who like movies without plot or substance...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your so right.....wasn't The Joker wearing leg warmers??? Maybe not....I have to give him some fashion credit...he did have on some snazzy socks.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley, you may as well stop arguing with her as she is always going to believe her point of view is the right one. Lets face it, everyone she spoke to said the first one was better and their opinion must count more than than box office sales and the 105,000 people who voted for it on IMDB.

Isis will always be one of thos people that will argue her point regardless and even though the vast majority on this board who have seen it enjoyed it, she still seems determined to criticise it.

Let's face it, she only came back because she missed the arguments.

Noms [Cool]

[ 23. July 2008, 21:57: Message edited by: Original Nomster ]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh MAN, I cannot believe this - they will only start showing this movie in German theaters starting August 21!!!! This is ridiculous. I guess we're about the last country in the world to get to see this. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Hello my fellow European Rewinders - I hope you are luckier than we are... [Frown]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noms, you hit the nail on the head.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
august 21st? darn, that's another month away.

first off, i could care less who the academy believes is deserving of an award, i think they've disappointed at times. but for those who have won oscars, it's all about the performance, not the number of words spoken. acting isn't limited to dialogue alone.. come on isis, you know this.
heath ledger really did a wonderful job playing the joker. he was unrecognizable in his performance, granted he wore make-up and costume, but it was everything else, his voice, his expressions, ....so much more.
i think there are a lot of other people who saw the movie and know what i'm talking about.

one thing, i personally think it would be awesome if heath did get an oscar nod (not saying he will. oscars nods are usually given to the older generation of actors (and the same ones, at that). heath was 28 when he died and and now everyone can only wonder what could have been. he was a promising actor, with a lot of talent.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, It is sad to loose a great actor at such a young age... [Frown] I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Oscar posthumously.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people who are super opinionated are like talking to a brick wall.......I gave up awhile ago...........and i'm not pointing a finger at any certain person.....haha

Christan Bale is an awesome actor!!!! Empire of the Sun......American Psycho!!!!

Plus honestly I wish I didn't have to hear from anyone anymore about the role of the joker and how it may or may not have tied to Heaths death.........we don't know and will NEVER know what was happening in his life......so let his family and daughter live in peace and let it go you know??? I hear that convo at work twice a day lately.... [Smile]

I have yet to see the movie but can't wait!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Muffy, I've yet to see this movie: all the Batman flicks had something to love, if I had to rate them in order it'd be...

1) Batman Begins
2) Batman Forever (viva Val Kilmer---still the best Bruce Wayne)
3) Batman
4) Batman-The Movie (1966)---I hear Shark repellent batspray also works on lawyers & real estate agents
5) Batman Returns
6) Batman & Robin

Christian Bale can be a bit of a hit n' miss artist, there were a few awkward years('Velvet Goldmine' anyone?) but the Bale hasn't really put a foot wrong cinematically since 2000: 'American Psycho', 'Equlibrium', 'The Prestige', 'Harsh Times' (GREAT MOVIE by the way, very underrated), '3:10 To Yuma' and others.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:

Christan Bale is an awesome actor!!!!

Yes he is. Did anyone see The Machinist? Great movie. He starved himself for 4 months to make that film. That is dedication.

-

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the scene towards the begining where he's in the mirror sideways......oh man........they talked alot about Deniro and Raging Bull in interviews with Bale at the time.......about the weight drop and gain.......I do think he's an awesome actor plus the fact he's so handsome haha
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember seeing that movie. bale definitely did a great job. what a transformation.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I am done now on the whole subject...because I thought the movie stunk...and you all can love it...I went looking for reviews for it...because of this whole topic...just to see what real "critics" had to actually say about it, and I found this one...and it is as if I wrote it...I want to write the guy and tell him, he said exactly what I was thinking about this movie...every single thing he said...is exactly how I saw this movie.....

http://nymag.com/movies/reviews/48514/

I know now I am not alone in my thinking...even if 1 other person on the planet felt that way...I know it just wasn't me.

All I have ever said about any of this movie...or anything I get upset over...has to do with VIOLENCE, and then you all go ranting on me...that I don't like violence...as if the violence made the movie GOOD. Take out the violence, and what's left of that movie. Nothing. And I do know a thing or two about Superheroes...I have been a fan of Superhero stuff my whole life...I would never catergorize this movie as a "Super Hero" movie....he saved 1 kid from being shot in the head...wow, big deal. Then he runs away.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and April' Fool's Day were all violent movies. I guess since they were 80s it was ok though. End of my discussion. Thank you for your support.....
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Those movies were Rated R Horror movies...that isn't what this was...so that's not what I have ever been talking about...you miss the point, as usual.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Yet you fail again to mention another added stipulation as usual. Does that still justify violence in movies? You fail to mention until now that you were referring to only R movies. I'm gonna be the bigger person and end this conversation here. I enjoyed the movie as the majority of folks have and someone who disklikes a thinking persons movie isn't gonna change my mind. Heath was a young person who still had alot to offer the world and I feel this was his best work. Alot of actors and actresses past and present could learn alot from him......
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -

-

-

OR

-

-

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with this one...You know, keep the 80's theme:

-

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVED this movie! It was haunting and thought provoking. Bale was wonderful and I have been a fan of his for years(he was so cute in Little Women). I think he and Ledger are genuine and believable actors, too bad about Heath, he had a promising career. I hope they make a third but I can't see how they could top this one. It was a classic good vs evil, and the reluctant hero that we need but dont want. That is pretty much how the world is today anyway.
Well thats just my humble opinion.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Just got back from seeing this again and suprisingly enough it gets better each time. It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over without the quality of the movie wearing down. It's supposedly being released to DVD sometime in November 2008.......
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dark Knight passes $300 million in a record 10 days besting Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest the previous fastest to reach $300 million at 16 days.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20080727/121719073700.html

Looks like this movie won't be slowing down anytime soon.

$6.25 of that was mine. I'm part of history folks [Big Grin]

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated it. [Frown]

And this has nothing to do with the amount of violence, acting performances or anything like that. Cause there was absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I just felt disappointed in an almost emotional kind of way. On top of that, I felt even more bad after admitting it to myself, cause I haven’t been looking forward to a movie like this in years. So, in a way, I am disappointed in myself as well.

***SPOILERS*** Don’t read further if you haven’t seen it yet.

I think the main reason is, because this Batman is way too vulnurable. I know he is – unlike most superheroes – just a man of flesh and blood. Which is why Batman has always been my favorite superhero. But still... when he’s up against some tougher opponents, he barely makes it every time.

And now what?

What use is there for him to go on as the Batman? Ok, so he (nearly) won the fight in the end. But at what cost? He practically lost everybody that meant something to him, one way or the other. On top of that no one believes in him anymore, except for Alfred (and maybe commissioner Gordon). I even doubt if he still believes in himself.

Nope, I like the darker take on these new Batman movies, but guess this one's too dark for me. Call me naïve, but I need a real hero, Gotham City needs a real hero... But it feels like he is losing the fight. It almost sends out the wrong message: ‘crime does pay’.

The only thing worth remembering for me was indeed Heath Ledger’s performance, which was absolutely outstanding: the mimics, the speech, the make-up, the body language... I don’t think The Joker can get any better than this.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found an interesting item on wikipedia:

"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

Hmm. Who does this sound like?

I think that rather than arguing with said troll from now on, a simple...

"DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!"

might be the more appropriate response...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home