iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Do you like remakes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you like remakes?
Jakey V
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do people like all of these remakes that come out? I never think they're as good as the original and I think it's usually a bad idea. What do you think about remakes?
| Site Updates: IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the new version of Friday the 13th. Doesn't even compare to the old one.
| Site Updates: IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remakes just are not exciting to me. It is just too hard to outdo the original. I often think a remake of a bad movie from the past would be a better remake because it can only improve but we know nobody is gonna do that.
I saw the new Conan and it was nowhere near the original.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, as a rule of thumb, they're a bad idea that don't work out well.
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been a few remakes here and there I almost enjoyed more than the originals. But its a rarity and it hasn't happened for quite some time.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate remakes.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate remakes too. They show how little creativity and originality Hollywood has. With few exceptions, almost every remake is a weak, pale copy of the original--for example, any remake of a John Carpenter film like Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13, and The Fog or the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. A few remakes are actually quite good and hold their own, like Dawn of the Dead and Last House on the Left. And once in a lifetime, you have the exceptionally rare remake that completely eclipses the original, David Cronenberg's The Fly.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't dislike the assault on precinct 13 remake but i agree it didn't come close to carpenter's original,the last house on the left remake i saw at the cinema and was quite impressed with that as i was with the dawn of the dead remake.

i forgot about the fog remake,now that was pretty bad,probably one of the worse!

i know i'm one of few but i actually didn't dislike the friday the 13th remake either,prefered the originals of course but didn't think it was to bad for a reboot!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote for the single worst remake of a great film is And Soon the Darkness with Amber Heard. It takes the original, a quiet, but genuinely chilling, British film set on one day on one stretch of roadway in France and turns it into a girl-power action film in Argentina with guns a-blazin'. I felt like throwing something at the TV when I watched it. Dreadful.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder when they start remaking the remakes..

I mean, some of these remakes are now nearly 15 years old.. so isn't it about time
they're getting updated to appeal to an even younger crowd ?

Of course this is me being sarcastic.. but to be honest, i wouldn't be too surprised
if it actually starts happening within the next decade or so. [Frown]

Time will tell..

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
ROFL. Look at freakin' Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's been done FOUR times: the classic original, the almost-as-good Phillip Kaufman remake, the very good Abel Ferrara remake, and the not-so-hot Invasion with Nicole Kidman. Did we really need all those remakes? [Smile]
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate remakes!

There boring and not exciting.

I thought the remake of the Omen was bad too. And also the remake of Friday the 13th.

It comes down to one thing. Money! They want to make money and hope it will be successful. It just goes to show directors and producers now can't come up with new ideas, so they have to remake a classic.

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good comments! How many super hero movies that go back to the origins of the character are they gonna make?
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asking people whether they like remakes is akin to asking whether they like fruit. There are so many different types accommodating so many different tastes that there can't be a definitive answer. Those people that say they hate ALL remakes make me laugh, especially if they talk up John Carpenter. His version of The Thing was a remake and is still rated as one of the best horror films ever made!

I take remakes at their face value. If someone can come up with a remake that refreshes an old idea what's the harm? Idiots who talk about it destroying their childhood need to realise that just because a remake exists A. You do need to see it and b. Remaking a movie doesn't remove teh original from existance, it's still around for you to watch whenever you want.

The Original Nomster (V2.0) [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should all make our own show, ala Mystery Science Theatre 3000. We will show one of these modern remakes of an 80s flick and make fun of it, and make funny comparisons between it and the original, of course degrading the remake to the best of our abilites.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a rule "remake" is one of the worst words in cinema. So often they use a IP for a quick, and at times cynical, cash grab. You could write for an hour the number of bad remakes that have been perpetrated in cinema, but I will name a some good ones; The Blob, The Fly, Cape Fear, The Thing, The Man Who Knew Too Much.
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched a few lately and didn't like any from what I remember, they always pale in comparison to the original.

If any of the execs happen across this please please please leave Back To The Future alone [Big Grin]

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve never seen the original Assault on Precinct 13. I thought the remake it was okay.
I’ve seen Imitation of Life a few times (1959, starring Lana Turner). It was a remake of a 1936 movie starring Claudette Colbert. I thought the 1959 version was great; I haven’t seen the earlier version.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home