iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » 'Spider-Man 4' scrapped; reboot planned

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Spider-Man 4' scrapped; reboot planned
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Columbia has scrapped "Spider-Man 4" and is rebooting its Spider-Man film franchise.

The studio is parting ways with director Sam Raimi and "Spider-Man" stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst and is taking the webslinger's alter ego, Peter Parker, back to high school.

The new movie, which will still be produced by Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios, is eyeing a release in summer 2012.

The news of the reboot follows weeks of script problems in which the studio was at loggerheads with Raimi over which villains to use in the movie. The clashes were kept mostly under radar but last week erupted into the public when it became clear that the studio was not going to meet its start date and subsequently its May 6, 2011, release date.

Columbia and Raimi put on a unified front Monday when making the announcement they were parting.

"A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire, and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the boxoffice, and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise.

"Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning," Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal said in a statement.

Said Raimi: "Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/01/sam-raimi-spiderman-4-scrapped-peter-parker-reboot-planned.html

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting! I didn't like # 3, so this might actually turn out to be a good thing!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm both happy and sad. I loved the Spider Man movies (not as thrilled with #3...would have liked it much better if they toned down Sandman a bit...specifically didn't like him turning into a giant at the end...a bit much), but I was never really a fan of Toby Maguire or Kirsten Dunst in the roles...I think they made Peter a bit too "nerdy". I would have loved to see John Malcovitch as The Vulture (which apparently was slated for #4)...I really liked that villain in the comic books.

I'm sure I'll like the reboot, but have one concern...what about the kids! Going the "darker" route typically mean it's a bit more gritty and more violent...which as an adult...I really like. But just as the Dark Knight was not kid friendly, I'll assume Spiderman will follow suite. I remember vividly collecting comic books as a kid and Spiderman was one of my favs...a shame to take this away from kids. * I guess, on the other hand, there's not too many kids collecting comic books anymore...which is a shame in itself.

* I also like how when they did the Batman reboot, they at least introduced it with a new villian not seen in the previous 4..or is it 5? I'd be disappointed if they re-start with Green Goblin or Doc Oc...would still love to see Malcovitch as the Vulture...or maybe Rhino.

*Either way...I'm in. Any initial thoughts on a re-cast?

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as the new younger Peter Parker is not played by Zac Efron, I'm sure a lot of people will be happy!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that Kevdugp, the Spiderman trilogy was great: they started getting a bit silly with 3; its like they'd run out of ideas and felt the need to be longer than all the others hence ridiculous scenes like Mary Jane's song and Maguire donning the mascara to play black suit Spidey.

Dr. Curt Conners (Dylan Baker) really missed out on getting to be the Lizard though, they should've worked that one in considering he was in all three movies!

I would've liked to have seen them move forward in time with a 30 something Spiderman, played by Michael Fassbinder or someone of that stature. I mean how many times do we need to see an orign story that can be covered in a five minute prologue?

It's going to be tough to find a new Jameson, J.K. Simmons owned that part.

If they insist on an origin reboot I'd suggest Joseph Gordon Levit as Spiderman taking on Carnage + the Life Foundation Symbiotes (e.g. Shriek, Scream etc).

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I do wonder, why push this so soon if they can't make it work; with the franchise now the property of the Walt Disney Company, why not wait and let Lassiter's team do the reboot? Oh well, perhaps in the future.

Can't quite think of who to have play the hero offhand. Stan Lee did push to play Jamison himself at the beginning of the trilogy (Jonah being his favorite character in the Spiderverse); if they can't find a reasonable replacement, might as well consider giving it to him in contrast to his usual cameo bit he makes in every Marvel film. If they want to keep with new villains, the Lizard would seem a good choice for the first one since, as noted, they did have the setup, or perhaps if they want to keep the Vulture plans they were thinking of, that would also be reasonable.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Spiderman reboot works as well as the Star Trek one did, it'll be a great film.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of a semi unknown cast. Like we've discussed with Star Wars in the past, when you use unknowns, they simply become that character, versus, oh...there's William Shatner playing Spiderman, there's Ryan Reynolds playing the Green Lantern, there's Sam Jackson playing Mace Windu, Ben Affleck as Daredevil, and on and on...an unknown simply IS Spiderman or whatever character. I think with these type of movies, star power is not quite as important. The draw is the history of the characters (for the many 20-30 somethings that read the comic books) and the great special effects.

Kash...I agree re J.K. Simmons owning the part of Jameson...but I envision a cranky, less comedic Jameson for the reboot. I get picky when they cast for well known characters...I want them to look like I remembered them in the comics / cartoons; ie for G I Joe, they could have at least given Duke blonde/light brown hair!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spider-Man 3 was horrible. It killed the franchise the same way Batman & Robin killed the original Batman franchise. I don't care what Raimi came up with for 4 - there was no overcoming the black stain that was 3. So for that reason I'm happy they're doing the reboot. Hopefully they won't turn it into an even bigger joke than 3 was, casting the likes of Zac Effron and letting McG direct.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home