iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Loss of life in modern movies.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loss of life in modern movies.
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now i'm no old fuddy duddy but recently i have started to think about situations in movies and how it seems to of become the norm to except massive loss of innocent lives as ok.
Films i have just rewatched are the 2nd Hulk film and the first Transformers now in both there are battle scenes in cities that would lead to massive loss of life but to the characters in the film it seems ok or not even considered,at leat in the second Transformers film they do mention the death toll at the beggining.
Now i know it's entertainment but as a viewing public have we just become so glib about these things that it no longer bothers anyone,i would be interested in other rewinders thoughts on this.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, this has become the norm. Even in kids cartoons. This is why I dont let my daughter watch the majority of the new cartoons or even some kids movies. Most are filled with violence or loss of life as if its to be accepted or even enjoyed. I guess this is the natural progression of our society's entertainment for all ages.

In my opinion, the massive loss of life type scenes should be kept more for horror flicks where its taken a bit lighter and to be expected, rather than every new movie that comes out being based around catastrophies. Just my opinion.

Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a lot of the time the film maker is crafty in the way for instance in the films i mentioned above you see one of the characters smash into or destroy an office or apartment block,now you don't see any bodies so you don't think of the death that it would cause.

I mean most films that are rated PG or 12 for instance get away with a ton of destruction yet if you had some of the human casualties on screen be it dead or injured the same film would be an 18 cert.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not really bothered by it, but I just find it a little stupid! Like 2012... the entire worlds population is dying, and why should I then care about John Cusack and a small group of people, as opposed to millions of others???
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To some extent this was always the norm. The kids shows of the 80's were riddled with depictions of violence. I agree that the mainstream Hollywood blockbusters of recent years (post 'Independence Day') seem to have lost their moral compass when it comes to violence, though. Now, mass destruction is aimed at family audiences in a way it wasn't in previous years. I think because CGI has made these things easy to show with no real danger, so the filmmakers have become somewhat lazy.

However, look at it this way: when the 'Death Star' was destroyed in Star Wars technically a lot of people died, right? (This was discussed in 'Clerks')

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
Are but i think we can agree the Death Star blowing up was for the good of the rest of the galaxy.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guys on the Death Star were good guys! They had to do their jobs! They had families and cats and dogs and holidays booked... then a bunch of terrorists come flying in and kill them all! All in the name of some false god -- 'The Force'!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the lady in charge of Food Services on the Death Star deserved all she got.

And the Contract Cleaners? Monsters they were, each and every one. Simply signing up for Altair VII agency work was bad enough, but then to take the job after the interview with Mr Vader, of Facilities:

"Now..... Do you have..... any questions....?"

"Yes, Mr Vader. What is the uniform like? Only I've seen people walking around in rigid white body armor, and I'm not sure that's practical for polishing and vacuuming..."

"Those.... are my Storm Troopers. They.... are the elite..... soldiers of The Empire... You will not.... wear the uniform.... of a Storm Trooper""

"So you mean we won't be wearing face masks when we dust? Are you sure that's not against Health and Safety regulations? I mean, dust is our galaxy's biggest killer, you know."

"YOU WILL NOT.... oh very well..... you may wear the mask..... if you wish. But.... I caution you..... do not underestimate .... the dark side...."

"Oh don't you worry about that, Mr V. We'll soon sort that out. Probably just a blown light bulb."

"No.... I meant.... oh never mind. Now.... do you have...... any further questions?"

"Yes - just the one. We're going to need to sort out shift patterns and responsibilities. So Mr Vader, do you have a plan of this here Death Star of yours?"

"That's secret.... information. You don't.... oh, OK. Here you are.... Mrs - sorry..... what was your name again?"

"Mrs Alliance. Mrs R Alliance. The R stands for 'Rebel'......"

"Hmmmmmm......"

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
[Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I think I just read dialogue from the greatest Star Wars movie never made!

Come to think of it... I don't think I can even picture a Death Star canteen... or a toilet. I can't picture Luke or Leia even going to the... oops. I think the mirror just cracked. I'll never be able to watch Star Wars the same way again [Frown] [Razz] [Frown]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scene 45a : Forest Moon of Endor, Day...

C3PO: "Master Luke! Master Luke! Where are you?"

Luke: "Over here!"

C3PO: "What are you doing behind that tree, Master Luke?"

Luke: "Never mind that - can you look for some leaves? Big flat ones would be good...."

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Classic! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

C3P0: "Can't you just use the force, Master Luke?"

Luke: "No"

C3P0: "I must be made to suffer. It's my lot in Life"

[Frown]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched The Taking of Pelham 123 last week.
(the newer version starring John Travolta and Denzel Washington).
SPOILER ALERT:
I did not like that they killed the driver of the subway car and other innocent riders! I found it repulsive.

Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I believe they did the same in the original. Mind you, it was considered to be a somewhat gritty film in its day.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home