iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Whose watching The Watchmen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whose watching The Watchmen?
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watchmens been getting some mixed reviews. Now unlike the man himself; I'm not averse to Alan Moore adaptations and, sin of sins, actually preferred 'V: For Vendetta' the movie to the comic book, 'From Hell' was good in places, 'LXG' got it wrong, but as a diehard Sean Connery fan, I still had to see it.

-

Now 'Watchmen' is one of the best graphic novels ever written & drawn: complex storyline, historical fiction and satire all rolled into one epic adventure.

Zack Snyder is a bad choice as director (only Frank Miller could've been worse). I don't hate Synder, but he doesn't get irony and it was whilst watching '300' that I understood what Abel Ferrera had meant by the term "Fascistic directing". If I want a comic book replication, I’ll just read the damn comic, and all that super slo-mo feels like you're watching boxing match replay of a particularly boring boxing match. I hope he's done a better job behind the camera this time around.

I want to see this movie, but after 'Wolverine' & 'Magneto' the superhero genre will begin to wind down and I may yet win my wager less bet that 'The Avengers' movie won't get made.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:

Now 'Watchmen' is one of the best graphic novels ever written & drawn: complex storyline, historical fiction and satire all rolled into one epic adventure.

that's exactly what my b/f tells me. we are going to see it when it comes out. im curious about it.

i read a review on it yesterday and it wasn't a good one. but im still going to see it. it looks awesome,...we'll see.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonna go see it regardless of reviews as I find that my opinions of movies lots of times are the direct opposite of critics. I was and still am a huge fan of The Watchmen graphic novel..........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That graphic novel is and always will be a masterpiece whether you like comics or not. But it's not really for kids so I hope when I see the film version, the theater isn't crawling with a bunch of lil brats waiting to see spiderman or something. Know what I mean?
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or cell phones going off lol.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did i read right?
i just looked up times for watchmen on friday and it says it's 2 hours and 43 mins long????

is this right???????????????

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

That's what the site says I looked at too Ronnie. Supposedly there's a director's cut that goes a little bit over the 3 hour mark......
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

ah-ha. from what i am told.. 3 hours is appropriate for the story.
i'll be sure to empty my bladder before we sit to watch it lol. it's not easy with your bun in the oven! lol

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree that the film would have to be a bit longer to tell the whole story. It's a complicated and well written story, I hope they can do it justice.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this movie looks pretty good we will probably get it on dvd when it comes out i also saw a commercial for nicolas cage's new movie yesterday called knowing that looks good also and i love nicolas cage great actor dee [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

motley, you going to the midnight showing tonight? or are you gonna wait for the weekend?
i'm going tomorrow afternoon..imax style. [Wink]

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

We're going to a 10am showing on Friday. I don't think they are having a midnight showing of this one for some reason here. Lemme know how the imax is it should rock.........
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think I'll try to catch it Saturday morning. It does look good. [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Awesome movie guys and gals! The only thing I didn't like about it was it left some great things out that was in the graphic novel. The dude who played The Comedian did the best IMO. I'd give it 7.5/10..........

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley,

I just saw this movie with my brother. I'm 180 degrees the other way. I though it sucked. It was way too long (almost 3 hours), too drawn out, the story-line was all over the place, way too long in between action scenes and boring... What's the deal with the naked guy exposing his schlong the entire movie? Let's not even mention the obvious "left-wing" liberal slant that runs throughout the entire movie. It was way overdone and in-your-face. On top of that, they went completely the other way and added all kinds of gratuitous and at times, sick violence. I won't go into it, but, the sick part will be obvious to all they see this movie. Another thing is, how is it that these heroes have these superhuman powers? Only one character was explained, the rest of them are seemingly normal people that suddenly have super strength. WTF?

Now, the good... Just to let everyone know, this movie is set in an alternate dimension of our Earth. I tell you this because it's never mentioned in the movie and it confused a lot of people in the movie theater. This explains a lot of what you will see in this movie. I won't say anymore so as not to ruin it for you. This movie is set in October 1985. They play some good 80s songs and, you see a bunch of 80s cars. If they reedited this movie to run for 90 minutes and added more action without some of the stupid and unexplainable gore it would be an OK movie. There where some really good moments, but, over all it was boring. [Frown]

3/10

Sorry to disagree with you Motley...

- jdocster

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Just out of curiosity were you a fan of the graphic novel jdoc?

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
Just out of curiosity were you a fan of the graphic novel jdoc?

You know what, I know what you're getting at. I did a little reading about Watchmen after I left my posting. I found out that Watchmen put out 12 issues for DC comics in 1986-87. I think the graphic novel is a compilation of all 12 comics (Is this right?), or perhaps it's a bit bigger in it's scope. Either way, I think I might have been a bit too hasty in what I said. Having never known about Watchmen I simply went by what I saw in the coming attractions. It was certainly pumped-up a considerable amount so as to draw a much bigger audience. I think for true fans of the series it was probably really good. I read that the creator/writer of the series (Alan Moore) was very unhappy about the movie.

So I'm torn... If I where a true fan of the series I think that "any" movie would be awesome. Being that I'm not a fan of the series (not that I don't like Watchmen) I think the movie could have been much more. I'm basing this on the characters "given" abilities.

Do you know what I mean?

- jdocster [Smile]

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

That's what I'm hearing from alot of folks who've went and seen it. Those who have read the graphic novels and are huge fans seem to like the movie while those who went to see it (the previews did look good)that weren't big fans or hadn't been exposed to the graphic novels much seem to be disappointed. Your not the first to be like that........
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seen it last night...sorry Mot...I really didn't like it. Didn't read the novel, so I think I was expecting a typical superhero movie, which of course it wasn't. Some neat scenes and special effects though.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i watched it last friday when it first came out and i didn't post anything about it because i wasn't sure how i felt about it. i too, did not read the novels, and i notice that a lot of people who didn't know of the graphic novel or who didn't read it, didn't seem to like it and were expecting something else.

just before i watched the movie, my b/f sort of gave me a crash course on the novel and the characaters. so when dr. manhattan was seen walking around with his peen hanging out, i already knew why and what was happening there.
from what i could tell, the movie adapted the story very well, (hence the almost 3 hour run). i thought a majority of the movie was boring, as i waited for some kind of action and well... didn't happen.
i thought the sex scene was a bit overdone with the different angles they showed haha but it did make me laugh.
another thing i thought was odd, was the PG-13 rating the movie got. with the sex scene, nudity and f-word usage, i thought PG-13 wasn't correct, and i didn't even pay attention to the rating before i saw it, so if it weren't for my b/f knowing the story, i wouldn't have known otherwise.
the movie was advertised and promoted in such a way, that the audience was kind led to believe it was just some other superhero movie.
after reading a lot of other opinions on the movie, i came to realize that in that time the novels were done, the story being told was probably more shocking than it would be today?

i did, however like the character of Rorschach and the performance of the guy who played him (which i recognized from the original bad news bears). other than that, i didn't care much what happened to the other characters. i just didn't feel a connection to any of them whatsoever.

so after watching it, i was going to rate it a 2/10 but after thinking it over, i think maybe a 5/10...
i don't know if i'd ever watch the movie again.
i really think that the movie's popularity is split down (more or less) to who knew the story prior to seeing it, vs. the people who didn't know much about it.
i really wanted to enjoy it though, i tried really hard!! lol

p.s. my b/f thought it was great, though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home