iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Lakeview Terrace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lakeview Terrace
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a Blu-Ray adapter cord today to play movies on our PS3- my husband and son just went to rent this movie - it will be my first Blu-Ray movie. I know nothing about it, except it has Samuel L. Jackson in it. Did anyone see it?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it. I thought it was ok. It really plays up the "race card" a lot which personally I don't care for or agree with.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We weren't sure what we thought of it. It was boring. I didn't like the whole race thing either...I thought what year is this suppose to be? There are tons of bi-racial couples, who cares. I was shocked at how awful the friends all acted-on both parts-with Samuel L. Jackson and the way his cop buddies acted, and the couple-their friends were weird too.

We didn't like it, but we didn't hate it either.

I don't recommend wasting your time with it. It was a combo of Pacific Heights and Unlawful Entry.

Rob Glass from Barney Miller-played the girl's father (the lawyer), and Robert Pine (from CHiPs) had a tiny scene in this movie- he played a cop too. So, I did like seeing those people in a new movie-I just can't believe how old they are getting.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trailer was the best thing about this film. It had the potential to be great but was just incredibly weak in places. Disappointing.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Exactly....we thought it had potential too, but just like everything else that is new...they blow it. The concept is good, but then they just don't seem to be able to connect it right, and they definately needed better actors.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samuel L. Jackson is one of the best out there. An overall weak script and storyline is what hurt this one. That's a pretty vague and unproven statement saying every movie these days is blown. I thought you liked Gran Torino?
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
1 good movie in 10 years...doesn't mean that the rest of the new movies suddenly became good.

I wasn't talking about Samuel L. Jackson's acting....I was actually meaning the neighbor couple.

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't a fan of the movie either. Same ol, same ol...predictable and nothing new.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Plenty more than one good movie you just have to take your blinders off and actually watch something.......
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I'm the only one who quite enjoyed this movie; sure there were some scenes that didn't work (e.g. the Hollywood ending, that lame cell phone trace; like a wily cop would ever fall for that). But Samuel L. Jackson was on top form, the couple (Kerry Washington & Patrick Wilson) were OK too. I liked the fact that up until the end; the characterisation was quite three dimensional; in that you could understand Jackson's point of view & sympathise with the couple. It reminded me a bit of another Samuel L. Jackson movie from a couple of years ago called 'Changing Lanes', that had a better ending but the themes were similar.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well...what was so weird about Samuel L. Jackson's character...is one second he was bad mouthing them, and throwing racist comments at them, the next minute he was at their house for a party, then the next minute he was tattling telling on the guy for throwing cigarette butts in the yard, then the next second he was buying him a drink at the local bar....he didn't know which end was up ....and the whole thing about how his wife died...that was really dumb... he assumed something about why she was where she was, but he never knew for sure about that.

We thought that it bounced back and forth way too much.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

How boring would movies be if everything went exactly the way you thought it should? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose in a movie? I know I'd never watch one if they were all predictable.........
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kash, I thought I was in the minority. I actually liked the movie too. Yeah, it was typical Hollywood stuff, but it was entertaining enough.
The reason for Samuel L. jackson's character's behavior: he was a hothead cop and somewhat of a "racist". You never knew what he was going to do next, which added to the plotline.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I agree that it was watchable, because of not knowing what was going on, but there was no rhyme or reason for anything he did.

I thought he was being a good dad at first...I would have freaked out if my kids looked out the window of their home and saw the neighbors having sex in the swimming pool, I would have been more mad about that than he was...but he was not consistant either way on how he behaved.

I actually liked him better at times than I did the neighbor couple.

80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got to see this and I was disappointed with it. Jackson is one of my fave actors, but he sure has his fair share of stinkers. He takes every role that is offered to him, the good and the bad like this one.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie was okay...nothing special. For me, it passed the time, but my main gripe with it was the predictability of the plot. Also, Jackson's character annoyed me so much. I know he wasn't supposed to be likeable, but I found myself rolling my eyes a lot of his antics.

As an aside, I think Jackson has a lot more than one good movie. I guess most would argue that his two best flicks were Pulp Fiction and Unbreakable (although I wasn't a fan of the latter) but he was also entertaining in A Time to Kill, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Changing Lanes, The Negotiator, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Coach Carter, and 1408. He's also had smaller roles in Jurassic Park, Patriot Games, Goodfellas, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home