iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Transformers Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transformers Movie
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this talk about sequels and remakes got me thinking. Am I the only one that thinks the new Transformers movie was sort of a dissapointment?

The first thing I said when I walked out of the theater was "They made the story more about the people and less about the robots."

This to me was less fun. When Transformers died you didnt even care. Heck it even seemed like the other transformers didnt even care.

However, if you were a young boy in the 80s and sitting in the theater watching the original Transformers movie for the first time, you know you almost cried when Optimus Prime died. That movie was SOoooooo much better!!

Am I alone?

Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purely because the discussion is about the new movie primarily and what people think, I'm going to move this to the 00's board.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kinda thinking more like a comparison of the 00's movie with the 80's movie. But I can see your point. [Smile]
Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

It wasn't just less fun, but you didn't have as much time put into it as you did with the original.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
yeah thats true... In fact most of the transformers dont even show up until about halfway through the movie.

I guess I went into it with the wrong expectations. I was really expecting a harder, edgier, more intellectual take on the same story we had in the 80s. Instead I got the same cheesey, advertisement, low brow quality, but with a different backstory.

Not to totally slam the movie, I guess what I typed above seems a little harsh. The movie is fun. Just not what I wanted. But you can't please everybody can ya?

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess not, especially if your name happens to be Michael "I'm a Cinematic Supergenius, So Shut Up and Enjoy What I Put on the Screen" Bay.

Anyway,do you think it was better, worse, or about the same with Peter Cullen reprising Optimus?

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought the movie was very entertaining. i tried not to compare it too much to the other one... i mean - it was 20 years ago. and i love the original.

and the constant complaint of advertisement in the movie... just makes me laugh. there IS such a thing as ebay, and mountain dew...etc. i don't understand the problem with this? can someone explain or give their reason as to why it's so bothersome?

as for optimus, ...just imagine it not being cullen???? and there you go.

after watching this movie, (given it was a bay film) i was not embarrassed in the least, that i am a transformer fan. i think lots of kids of this new generation liked it, and being that it was from "our" generation.. it's nice to have it all over again. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
I didn't mean that I was complaining about advertisement IN the film. More I was comparing the film to the 80's television cartoon, that in itself was just really a 30 minute advertisement for transformers.

I thought the Mountain Dew machine turning into a robot was pretty cool.

Anyways, I never felt that the movie was bad in any way. I thought it was fun. It just wasn't what I expected. In the 80's the transformers were the main characters that the viewer connected with, in the cartoon and in the movie.
In this current movie, you the viewer are connecting with Sam, and his girlfriend. The transformers almost just seem like extras that don't even show up until the show is halfway over. You don't get any time to connect with them, or care about them in any way.

That being said, if your looking for big robots making big loud bangs, you will get more than your moneys worth. The adrenaline rush that is the last 20 minutes of this movie is great.

Me personally I would have preferred more story, less explosive sound effects. But yes it was a very entertaining movie. I just hope I get to know the autobots a little better in the sequel.

Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
oh and just to be nitpicky [Smile] I got to say this:

If the Transformers learned to speak English through the World Wide Web, and Megatron has been frozen in ice since 1935... How does he talk to Sam?

[Smile] [Razz] [Smile] [Smile]

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahahahaha, good point! [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it.good action move,with nice humour running through it.I do like the original animated movie though too.Especially with a voice cast that included Orson Welles and Leonard Nimoy...superb.
Am i right in guessin the same guy voiced Optimus in both the animated and new live action movie? Couldnt tell if Nimoy voiced Megatron though,although he did sound a little like him.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SamET
Rewind Curious
Member # 6010

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SamET         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 80s Transformers was definitely way better. These remakes today are so poorly thought out compared to the old days. Things were more simplistic and just seemed to make more sense that way. Nowadays everything is just thrown together to create some big ooh and ahh effect with no integration. [Mad]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SamET
Rewind Curious
Member # 6010

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SamET         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMNT had the same problems btw. Since when can April kick butt? LOL [Razz]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awful Awful Awful that's all I can say about it. Michael Bay has a penchant for screwing up what could have been some good movies. Being someone who grew up as a Transformers fan, I think they modernized it too much......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Bay is a hack. Have no desire to see this.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only saw it for bumblebee....I have a thing for Camaro's.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home