iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » The Wrestler

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Wrestler
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read a lot of good reviews about this movie: Aronofski's an original kind of director and I've liked the three films he's made to date. Never been a big Mickey Rourke fan (besides 'Rumblefish') but we'll see. The tone and style of the trailer reminds me a lot of Matt Dillon's excellent, but hugely underrated, 'Factotum'.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard anything about this movie, other than everyone thinks that Evan Rachel Wood hooked up with Mickey Rourke. For a beautiful girl, she sure hooks up with some real loonies.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It got some really mixed reviews on imdb.com. It might be worth a look. I just can't believe how messed up his face looks from all that plastic surgery. He doesn't look the same at all.... I've never heard of Factotum. So, it's worth watching then?

- jdocster

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to like it, but I didn't (Factotum). I really love independent movies, and I like Lili Taylor and Matt Dillon, but it kinda dragged in spots. I think this was the last movie that Adrienne Shelly did before she was murdered. Or was it that waitress movie with Keri Russell? I think they were made around the same time.

[ 04. December 2008, 15:16: Message edited by: Pittsburghgirl ]

Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey KASH, did you end up seeing THE WRESTLER?

i couldn't get over this movie for at least 2 days after watching it. it kind of haunted me, because mickey rourke did such a great job playing the role.

after we got home, my b/f drew a picture of the wrestler sitting on a park bench, bent over with his head in his hands.

bruce springsteen's original song for the movie (with the same title) is so moving.

hope you all check this movie out.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DVD is on it's way... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen this as well....I really liked it. There's not really an "up" moment in the entire movie.....harsh reality in highlighting the Wrestler's life. I really wanted Mickey to win the Oscar. I also love Marisa Tomei.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
hey KASH, did you end up seeing THE WRESTLER?

i couldn't get over this movie for at least 2 days after watching it. it kind of haunted me, because mickey rourke did such a great job playing the role.

after we got home, my b/f drew a picture of the wrestler sitting on a park bench, bent over with his head in his hands.

bruce springsteen's original song for the movie (with the same title) is so moving.

hope you all check this movie out.

Hey Ronnie, I saw it, liked it: you can read my full review here DVD Reviews

Mickey Rourke was tremendous, and though I enjoyed the movie a lot, I would’ve liked it even more had I just seen it out of the blue without all the hype.

You should scan and post that drawing Ronnie. One of the best scenes was when he was talking to his daughter at the pier, very good acting; also the backstage wrestling match rehearsals were quite good.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
marisa tomei was definitely great. (and looks good for her age, eh? lol)

i would love to post the drawing, if i could get my b/f permission. it's in one of his many sketchbooks, so hopefully he doesn't mind. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Marisa Tomei: good actress, kinda surprised she got her kit off so many times, though. I always thought she didn't do nudity.

If you liked 'The Wrestler' check out 'JCVD' with Jean Claude Vann Damme.

annier
Master Rewinder
Member # 3305

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for annier   Author's Homepage   Email annier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually enjoyed really this film even though I was practically dragged to the cinema kicking and screaming.

I must have a weird sense of humor though cause I did laugh out loud once or twice and was the only one... [Embarrassed]

Posts: 312 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched The Wrestler and it was very good.

Rourke was amazing and Marisa Tomei... WOW! [Cool]

Of course it was fantastic to hear Ratt, Slaughter, Cinderella, Accept, Firehouse,
Scorpions and Quiet Riot tunes on the soundtrack.

Recommended!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home