iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Gran Torino (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gran Torino
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL shrugs head and gently taps the record player it seems to be broken. It's so ironic it's said that today's actors are too aware of being on camera, over acting, or being phony when you consider the lack of talent in movies like April Fool's Day or Private School. True they were cheesy which in many cases means a lack of talent or acting ability I guess..........

[ 29. January 2009, 04:15: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is very good. You have to watch it first to make a call on it. Every actor is not going to be an Oscar winner in ANY movie you watch.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people (myself included) were suprised that Eastwood got snubbed on an Oscar nomination. This is one of the few negative comments I've actually read on his performance.........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
This is one of the few negative comments I've actually read on his performance.........

Clint's acting was great in this film. I was referring to the other actors that kevdug was talking about.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw Gran Torino. We all loved it. I did think Sue and Toad's acting was kind of bad in parts-but they did OK compared to many other movies I have seen.

This movie made me really sad, because it's the truth about how we are living now. I don't like the racist stuff....but I could totally relate to Clint Eastwood in the movie.

I couldn't believe (actually I can)...that the kids at the funeral -dressed the way they did- for their own Grandmother's Funeral, that Granddaughter was a complete and total brat, sitting there with her blackberry, and her nose ring and her belly button ring- thinking life revolves around her. I can't believe that they were such greedy jerks. How can people have the nerve to ask someone for their belongings, and say...what are you going to do with your couch when you die, because it would look great in my dorm room- I wanted to smash her face in -when she said that.

I didn't think it was violent at all, the worst thing about it that would have given it the R rating was the f-word, and I actually thought he'd be even worse with the racist stuff than he was.

I was disgusted with how all the Asian people moved in to his neighborhood, and trashed it- the outsides of their homes were disgusting. His house was immaculate. He worked his whole life for every single thing he had, and those punk kids had no respect for his property, and just wanted to steal his car and destroy his stuff that took him a lifetime to acquire.

Personally I can not stand people who are slobs. I hate laziness. I feel there is absolutely no reason to live like a pig. I hate dirt and filth and never understand people that live like that. They drive around in a souped up piece of junk car, and live like pigs.

We all walked in the park after watching this movie, and talked about it. My son said he loved it, he said he liked how it was filmed, it looked real, like the way people really live...it wasn't full of CGI, he said then he came out of that theater and looked around at the movie posters for Race to Witch Mountain and Monsters Vs. Aliens and The UnBorn and he thought the same thing as me
...why can't they make movies like Gran Torino- why are they the minority.

Then you look at the exact way they portrayed the kids in this movie- and you know exactly why...people are so superficial.

I couldn't believe what a mess the whole neighborhood is...all those gangs- those are all healthy strong men- there's no reason for this attitude of violence and that they can act that way...and not care about anything....they should all be glad they live here and not in some 3rd world country.

I liked the ending, it was semi predictable, but I had thought 2 different ways that he might end the whole thing, but in the end ...what he does is right...because the message I got from the movie....wasn't violence at all, it was what the consequences of violence does to a person, and why it should never be the solution to anything.

There is a scene with the old Asian grandmother talking under her breath, and she's saying why doesn't he move out, all the other white/American families have left....and I thought that is what is wrong...because it isn't right for a group of any nationality to come in to anybody's neighborhood, and destroy it and think they have that right, and to feel like the good people ought to move.

I hate seeing vandelism on buildings...where people spray paint on them...I hate litter and garbage.

I like movies where you see people cleaning up everything and taking pride in their community.

Why people want to be slobs, has always been beyond my comprehension. I was never raised in a dirty filthy environment.

Yesterday, my husband and I took 9 cases- (36 Packs) of pop to a family , they were part of a firehall that came to our house the other night looking for donations for their Valentine's Day dance. I thought ..WOW...someone really is trying hard. They said NOBODY ever donated pop ever, because it is too expensive. So, they are going to take it and sell it at the dance.
So, my husband went to Sam's Club and bought the pop, and then he and I took it out to a young girl's house in the Boonies. It was a run down trailer that was falling apart...the porch was falling off, they had garbage all over the place, they had rabbit cages everywhere, and a billion cats running around, and these 3 young girls came out to help us carry the pop up on to the porch.

Before we even got there, I said to my husband...don't you think we should take it to the firehall because what if it never makes it there, and my husband said..oh well ,if someone needs to rip off some cases of pop that bad then let them have it.

After I saw those girls, I thought I don't care if they keep it, if they need it. I felt so sorry for them, and they invited us to the dance...they are trying. It is sad to me, because there are so many people out there that are born in to poverty and they don't have anyone to give them a push out of it, and that is what their entire life will consist of. I am hoping that they take the pop and sell it. If they sell it for .50 a can- they will make almost $200.

I get so consumed by wishing that people would wake up and see how much better their lives could be. I thought this movie deplicted that kind of message in it.

I actually was thinking that it was going to be horribly violent at any second, I was waiting for all this violence to take place....but it was a movie that had a story, and you could actually relate to Clint Eastwood's character.

It's too bad that there are people living like him out there...with an ungrateful family that don't appreciate them.

I highly recommend this movie.

I didn't know they didn't give him an Oscar nomination for it....why not? What else is there??

[ 01. February 2009, 12:47: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...a thing I couldn't stand was the priest...he was 27 years old- he looked and acted like he was 12. He kept calling him "Walt", instead of having respect for him and calling him Mr. Kowalski. I thought that was really rude. Clint would say ..call me "Mr. Kowalski", and the priest would still call him Walt, I think after being told about 10 times, he finally got it through his head. I never liked the priest the whole way through the movie, I thought maybe he might get better at the end, but he was still annoying- and his acting job was pretty bad.

[ 01. February 2009, 13:19: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Pooh
Master Rewinder
Member # 5798

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Princess Pooh   Email Princess Pooh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this film on Tuesday night. Wow, what a movie. Best film ive been this year. Great story, great acting. I liked this because it wasnt your typical American 'gung-ho' flick. The ending was very unexpected and very clever. Clint Eastwood (78), still a great actor. 10/10.
Posts: 156 | From: London | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good movie, not a classic like the titular vehicle but a decent Clint comedy drama worth seeing.

See there's a reason why my DVD collection, despite being in alphabetical order, has a space somewhere between 'Dune' & 'Fast Times...' with a big E for Eastwood. I don't think they were trying to show that Hmong immigrants had wrecked the neighbourhood, just that the neighbourhood, like a lot of suburbs, was neglected. And though it'd probably never been a paradise, what made it Walt's home (i.e. his wife) was gone, thus everything annoyed him for awhile.

I liked the fact that he was a straight shooter in a world where the thought police are on regular patrol, old school non-PC (though I appreciate how that can backfire on an immature or impressionable audience who'll revel in the racism and miss the point). A good movie overall, great comic timing (almost a Dirty Harry parody) from Eastwood: There’s still life in the old timer yet.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home