iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » How good was Tab Cola?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How good was Tab Cola?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a hard time remembering if it was any good. Lately have been having obsessive thoughts of defunct drinks and chocolate bars from the 80's. I'm thinking it was just a lot like the other nutri sweet diet colas of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhGJvGhIzaw

Posts: 4420 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tab! I can't give you a tab unless you order somethin!"
Posts: 1616 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.

Never actually tried it back in the day, but always liked both the can design and the commercials, so a bit disappointing it couldn't have held on longer in the market (although I think it's still floating around out there if you look hard enough).

Posts: 2552 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't drunk old Tab in nearly 50 years, but it was awful, the most hideous soft drink I've ever had, like most of those early "diet" colas such as Diet Rite. Unlike today's pleasant zero-calorie drinks like Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, Tab gave you a burning sensation in the back of your throat. It was just really bad.

Other dreadful sodas were Faygo Red Pop, which might still be around, and Jolt Cola, which proudly trumpeted "all the sugar, twice the caffeine" as a marketing slogan. And then we come to the infamous Jamaica Cola, which I believe was a Canada Dry product. You didn't see it around much, but you could get it at a sleazy no-tell motel vending machine when I was in college in Richmond, Virginia, in the mid-70s. It was so bad that we called it "The Test of Manhood" to see if you could finish a can.

Posts: 2108 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I never tasted it, the consensus seems to be that it was crapola. I did like the commercials for it though!
Posts: 102 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a kid back in the '80's, my folks didn't allow we kids to drink soda because it would "rot our teeth". So, I didn't have Tab until the 200X's - I remember getting a 6-pack from Target as a "limited edition" kind of thing.

And, it tasted like crap - definitely the worst soda I've ever had, and I've drunk a lot over the years - it was very weak, and had a terrible after-taste.

Believe me, if you've never drunk Tab - you're not missing anything.

That all being said, from a nostalgic stand-point it's interesting that when you watch films from the '70's & '80's you'll see either people drinking Tab or Tab soda cans scattered on people's desks, etc. So, it was obviously very popular at one time - despite tasting like garbage - LOL!

Posts: 497 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home