iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Casettes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Casettes
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you like about casettes? Me, overall I thought they sounded the best. It was a more "solid" sound. CDs sound like everything is happening separately and seem to have more treble. Has anybody seen that part in Ping Pong Summer when he gets a new tape and breathes in the scent of it? New tapes did have a certain smell, actually.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved how I could rewind my fave bit over and over!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its very interesting you booted this topic Helen. I read a small piece in a 1983 issue of rolling stone the other day. It said cassette sales had surpassed record sales.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] I remember how they kept pushing CDs onto us but I wouldn't budge until there was just no way of getting cassettes anymore haha
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaMoomin
Rewind Curious
Member # 37623

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for MamaMoomin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my! Cassettes! That was something. Creating your own mixed tapes was magical. Recording favorite song from the radio and getting angry when the host started talking over your song. Also, using a pencil to adjust the time.
Let's not also not forget about C64 and loading games from cassettes. Everybody had to tiptoe around the room then to not disturb the process. Gosh, I loved the 80s!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2020 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very true, MamaMoomin. I remember doing lots of both [Smile]

So, i take that you´re a Moomin fan, that´s a Finnish creation we are very proud of.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Love the Moomins! [Big Grin]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who didn't love those hippos? [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

The Moomins Theme (1977)

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
How very dare you! [Razz]
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend used to make me mix tapes in High School. I think she had a dual cassette boom box to do it. I also remember recording songs from the radio once in awhile. My first roommate in college kept trying to record “Something About You” by Level 42 for me, as a surprise. The DJ would always talk over the end ha ha! It was a sweet gesture which I will always remember. We ended up living together for 3 years; we moved into a town house with 3 other girls and we are all still friends to this day.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cassettes - I loved them and loathed them.

They were great to have a convenient portable format to listen from and record to.

I hated how they could get worn out you could hear sound bleeding in from the other side.
And they could regularly get chewed.

Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I left some in the car over summer. I guess they could be damaged that way too.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home