iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » The Official VHS collecters thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Official VHS collecters thread
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the vhs talk! I did a lot of my thrift store searching about 10-15 years ago. I got some great finds. Sadly, only one place near me still has VHS's now. I did pick up Vice Versa last month. Most of my vhs collection is safely packed in boxes. I am going to set it up soon as I get a decent VHS player. Scared to death my old player will chew up my rare ones. All this talk has triggered memories of trying to stumble upon titles I could never acquire like Thunder Alley, 3:15 the moment of truth and On the right track.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide, I'm totally with you in getting a decent VHS player. You are in an enviable position. Some films from the 80s that I like seem destined never to appear on DVD, like Lady Beware with Diane Lane and Call Me.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of VHS players, has anybody had good luck with the vhs/dvd combo players? Seems like a lot of people I know say their vhs player goes bad. I Personally stick with the vcr only machine, the only thing is, they are used and its hard to find a used vcr with the remote.

RipTide, I scored a copy of VIce Versa recently also and have never found a copy of Thunder Alley, not even at the many rental stores that went out of business/switched to all dvd.

Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, the video side of my combo died pretty quickly.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a fake back of a VHS tape I made up: "From Here on Out" VHS Color 1986 116 min.
Jake has just about everything going for him. A great girlfriend, awesome car and he's about to graduate from Buckley High at the top of his class! But when long time sweetheart Chelsea Swanson (PHOEBE CATES) dumps him for his arch-rival Matty (SCOTT BAEO), things turn upside down in a hurry. Not to mention his cool car being wrecked by his little brother!
It's a wild ride as this high school senior trys to get his life back in gear before all is lost. Jake seems to be down and out, but with a little help from his new neighbor turned girlfriend Peggy (LEA THOMPSON) and his goofy sunglasses wearing best friend Gordie, he might just pull this off.
Things are unpredictable and intense! His fortunes end up landing him on a cruise ship in a winner-take-all poker match against who else? Matty!
It's up and down and all shook up. But one thing's for sure. Things are gonna be great FROM HERE ON OUT!

Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
(Random web video tape pic)

Now and again I check out some of these vhs/beta video hunt videos that they put up on YouTube,this is the latest one I watched that has just been posted where a guy coolduder who's channel I subscribe to goes on a video hunt with his buddy in a store that is getting rid off all there old tapes for only 50 cent each - https://youtu.be/qyujo0qqmM4.

[ 18. December 2015, 03:36: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prices are going up on VHS, because now it's considered vintage. Especially ex-rentals, which by logic should be worth less since they are the most beaten and battered. Talked to a big time VHS collector the other day, and he said that he is out of the game now. The prices are skyrocketing and he can't afford to collect anymore.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always loved the idea of maintaining my VHS collection and I like the idea of watching 80's movies in their original format (I have an old TV and a top loading VHS player in my 80's room)...I just don't have the space and got rid of most of mine. Around here, there are still tons at the flea market/yard sales etc and still crazy cheap for now....usually 50 cents to a dollar. I'm still drawn to 80's VHS with specific covers (usually original release covers which have a specific look I'm still drawn to) and will pick up some classics form time to time. *I gave most of them to my Mother In Law....the only reason I regret this as I still see them displayed, and there are times I want to take them back!!! I will resist!!!!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lemonjello:
The prices are going up on VHS, because now it's considered vintage. Especially ex-rentals, which by logic should be worth less since they are the most beaten and battered. Talked to a big time VHS collector the other day, and he said that he is out of the game now. The prices are skyrocketing and he can't afford to collect anymore.

I'm noticing this. Very very odd, as most people wouldn't even have the means to play them would they?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can still buy VCRs in specialty stores, online or second hand. But this isn't the average Joe collecting a dead medium, it's mostly the nostalgic types, film snobs or hipsters I would guess. Though unlike vinyl, which can be argued has a better, deeper, warmer sound than digital. I don't think you can argue that VHS in any way is superior to DVD or Bluray. It has to be the whole nostalgia/vintage vibe that is the key here. Or the fact that thousands of films never made it beyond VHS release, so there is that.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lemonjello:
Or the fact that thousands of films never made it beyond VHS release, so there is that.

This is the key line why i´m collecting VHS.
I can STILL find lots of 80s titles i´ve never heard of when i´m getting this stuff.
I have hundreds of unwatched films on the shelves and pretty soon i´m digging deep and check out some 80s obscurities rarely or never mentioned in Rewind. Stay tuned!

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
Keep bringing the rares, aTomiK. Looking forward to it.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Or the fact that thousands of films never made it beyond VHS release, so there is that.
That must be a factor, although it seems like the price of many that have been released on DVD are going up too. It must be nostalgia.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been searching for hard to find VHS for 10+ years and you just never know what will be in demand. I have sold VHS that are on DVD but are out of print on DVD also. It seems in that case the VHS is still in demand especially if the DVD is sky high in price.
Another thing is the death of an actor. For instance, Alan Rickman dies and his movie Truly Madly Deeply goes nuts. The DVDs sold as high as $300 and VHS goes as high as $60. Crazy.
Another surprise to me was demo/screener VHS tapes. I wouldn't buy these cause I assumed people would not want them cause they have a message that scrolls across the screen throughout the movie while viewing them. I recently discovered that some of these demo tapes are very collectable. For instance, a couple copies of Disneys the Fox and the Hound demo tapes sold on Ebay for $100 each and they were used! The regular nondemo tapes were far less cost. I guess its the rarity of them, but I really don't know why.

As far as personal collecting, I like the artwork like you see on the Bond covers and I snatch them up when I see them.

Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home