iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » WWF or WCW? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WWF or WCW?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked that Crow thing too, he needed that especially versus NWO.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wrestling world loses yet another one at a way too young age as former WWE star "Test" found dead at 33

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9335144/Pro-wrestler-Martin-found-dead-in-Tampa-apartment?MSNHPHMA

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I can't believe that bit of bad news. Only 33, RIP. I think he was a a former bodyguard for Motley Crues as well if I'm not mistaken.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you mention it I thought I heard that too. If not the Crue it was some metal band.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He debuted as Motley Crue's bodyguard during a live performance by the Crue on Raw in 1998. RIP Test.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

here's an old video from the '60s

The Gentrys--Keep On Dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2apM0DAe1g

The guy in the closeup at 1:22 is none other than Jimmy 'Mouth of the South' Hart

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to note that as a former songwriter and singer back in the 60s, Jimmy wrote many of the classic intro songs to some of the biggest stars of the day; the Million Dollar Man's intro, for instance, is one, as is I think Koko's.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I remember watching that Gentry's youtube clip specifically for Jimmy Hart. I think Hulk Hogan played music and was in bands too. Chris Jericho's father was former NHLer Ted Irvine.
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Jimmy Hart also wrote "Sexy Boy" for Shawn Michaels.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shawn Michael's theme music is one of my faves. It's cool that Hart wrote it......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the Hart's....who else besides me was watching live when Owen Hart died in 1999? Can you believe that was 10 years ago already? Unbelievable....what a sad story that was.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I just read that former pro wrestler 'Playboy' Buddy Rose has died. He was a participant in the very first match at the very first Wrestemania where he lost to Tito Santana.

They said he was fighting many health issues including diabetes which is no surpise given his physique the last time I remembered seeing him.

They used to announce him at 271 lbs and then he'd grab the mic and say "I do not weigh 271 lbs, I weigh 217 lbs" when it was obvious that 271 lbs was closer to the truth. Eventually I'd say he was probably getting close to 371 lbs.

Never a main eventer but was a quality wrestler.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I remember Rose and that whole 271 lbs. schtick. A shame about his passing. Who did he team up with as a tag team? Was iit Jessie Ventura? Couldn't remember. Was Scary Sherry his valet at one point?
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the AWA "Playboy" Buddy Rose teamed with "Pretty Boy" Doug Sommers, with Sherri Martel as their manager, and they fueded with the Midnight Rockers(Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty). Jesse Ventura teamed with Adrian Adonis.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I really miss NWO-era WCW. Current wrestling just doesn't have as much appeal to me as it did around the turn of the century.

Anyone read a Chris Benoit book by the name of Ring of Hell? Very hard hitting and sad that just about anyone associated with Stampede wrestling has had some tragedy befallen on them.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Sensational/Scary/Whatever S-adjective they could affix to her Sherri Martel (relation to Rick?), I guess everyone here knows she's now deceased as well as of last year. While she wasn't a personal favorite--she always came across as a trashier counterpart to the more attractive and virtuous Elizabeth (also deeply missed)--she always did well in whatever role they asked her to play; in a lot of ways, she made for just as good a sidekick to Ted DiBiase as Virgil did in a longer tenure in the role.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I always found Sherri far more attractive than Elizabeth
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Of course, then, let's not forget the other attractive woman of the sport back in the day: Cheryl Roberts. Sure, Rick Rude was way out of line to go passing at her, but we can at least understand why, kayfabed or not. Perhaps several years later when Jake was gunning for Savage with his cobra, they could have solved that feud by putting her and Elizabeth in a steel cage and let them slug it out (guaranteed boost in the ratings in the coveted young male demographic as I see it).
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Picking this back up since it just popped into my head, did anyone watch Hulk's cartoon regularly back in the day (it was one of the few 80s cartoons I didn't actually see in original run, being phased out by the time I became a full-on Saturday morning nut, and besides ABC was my Saturday morning network of choice anyway)? Seeing them on YouTube, I can say that while no masterpiece, it is perversely entertaining. The only shame is that it couldn't have had its run a little later, when more all-timers could have been used (then again, who's to say they can't do a reboot that does? They could do it exclusively for their 24/7 on demand service, keeping the original lineups (although I'd switch the female roles to Elizabeth and Sherri for more recognition purposes) and adding in the later arrivals: say, Bret Hart, the Ultimate Warrior, the British Bulldog, Hacksaw, the Legion of Doom, and Brutus Beefcake for the good guys, and Flair, DiBiase, Jake the Snake (while he worked well both ways, there's general consensus he worked best as the sociopath during the early 90s when he had the cobra bite Savage's arm), the Undertaker (same; indeed, I'd say make he and Jake a de facto team since they worked well together during the previously mentioned period), Mr. Perfect, the Natural Disasters, and Yokozuna for the bad guys, with Slaughter, the Boss Man and Savage, who worked equally well both ways (although I personally liked the Boss Man much better as a good guy) as neutrals whose alliances would shift with each episode. Would this sound reasonable enough?
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

The wrestling world has lost another at a too young of an age as Umaga has died at 36 http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-wrestlerdeath120509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love watching the wrestling when i was a kid and got back into it at the end of the 90's with the Rock and Steve Austin.But after Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerro died i really cant watch it any more,and i think most of this comes down to the huge death rate within the business.
Now i know the WWE has a drug testing program now but i wonder what they test for and how serious it is,as the business has a long history of pain killer and presription drug abuse.
Also if it was a real sport and not sports entertainment as they like to call it there would of been some sort of investigation into why so many young men in their early to late 30's die of heart attacks.The figure must be miles ahead of any other sport or national statistic.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Crazy that the wrestlers have to be on the road for just about 365 days a year, just the pounding the body takes, I have always loved wrestling but it's turned into a death industry and the bigwigs and shareholders are too busy laughing all the way to the bank.
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Needless to say, Umaga is a terrible thing. I can't believe that, I think if people died all the time in 1985-1986 when I started watching it, I would have been cautious about even joking about Wrestling.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Another wrestler dies too young. This time it's Steve 'Dr Death' Williams dying at 49 from throat cancer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/pro-wrestler-steve-williams-122909

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
No! Not another one. By coincidence I was just thinking about him last week when I was watching some old wrestling matches. These guys need pensions, it's atrocious so many lives have been snuffed out. I'm pretty much done with current wrestling.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home