iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » WWF or WCW? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WWF or WCW?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the earlier incarnation of the Bushwackers as the Sheepherders, when they had the bloody feuds with the Fantastics. Vince turned them into albsolute clowns when they went to WWF. He did the same to Dusty Rhodes with those god awful polkadots.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sad story involoving Pro Wrestling legend Verne Gagne

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/40326907.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUZ

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is tragic. I had no idea what was going on with Verne. I saw the AWA DVD recently so got to know more about Gagne and the promotion.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was growing up all I was able to watch was the AWA. My introduction to some of the superstars or people who would later become stars were through the AWA.

I used to see Verne Gagne, his son Greg Gagne along with his tag team partner Jim Brunzell, Nick Bockwinkle and his partner Ray "The Crippler" Stevens managed by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, Larry "The Axe" Henning who was the father of Curt "Mr Perfect" Henning, a very young Ric Flair, Ken Patera, Dusty Rhodes before he was "The American Dream" and his partner **** Murdoch, Ivan Putski, Baron Von Raschke, Billy Robinson, The Crusher, **** "The Bruiser" among others.

A lot different back then compared to today. The overall athleticism of today's wrestlers is 100% greater than it was back then. A lot of stuff that seems pretty tame by today's standards were unthinkable to do back then. But since I didn't know anything differen back then it made no difference to me I loved it and still miss watching the old time Rasslin eventhough I love watching it today as well.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
You watched a golden era Sam, I think the athletes are in way better shape now, but doesn't seem as larger than life or colorful as it did back then. There's nothing out there now that compares to the Steiners, Bulldogs or the Road Warrriors IMO.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF was huge over here during the late 80s/early 90s. They even held Summerslam '92 at Wembley Stadium. Anybody remember that?

British Bulldog vs Bret Hart

I always enjoyed matches involving the Road Warriors &/or The Steiner Brothers. The power & athleticism of those guy's was amazing.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Scott Steiner got too freaky large with his muscles that he looked absolutely awful. He had to be juiced up so bad.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Yeah, Scott took his Papa Pump trip a little too far. Like he was trying to emulate another steroid casualty Superstar Billy Graham with the bleached hair, physique, although he never had the mic skills Graham had. I loved the Steiners the most before that when they would come to the ring in their Michigan attire and handle business. They deserve a DVD, let's hope soon.
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fave tag teams:

The Road Warriors/The Legion of Doom
The Killer Bees
The British Bulldogs
The Hart Foundation
Demolition

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Yes, I was a WWF fan growin gup. It seemed that I would never miss watching it on Saturday's at 11am, 5pm and then again at 11pm too.

I have more wrestling DVD's and tapes than I care to mention, and it's funny because 2 of you mentioned Koko B. Ware and Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Hey had absolutely no Wrestling moves, punch, shouldertackle and Ho! for Hacksaw, and punch, headbutt dropkick and ghostbuster for Koko. \

Man they were terrible. I have plenty of favorite matches. Too many to list.

Right now anyway.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

In all truthfullness Hulk Hogan wasn't that great of a wrestler either
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Hogan was the best salesman/icon in the sport, he had so few finishing moves though, his looks,his phsyique and mic skills got him to where few have gone. Then take a pure wrestler like Bob Backlund who could really wrestle, but didn't have the gloss to translate to the fans like Hogan.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked The Brooklyn Brawler. It always saddened me though that he was always used as more of a sparing dummy for the big time wrestlers which meant he never won matches.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never stand I.R.S, The Mountie and The Model Rick Martell. They really used to annoy me. can you lot remember Repoman he used too make me laff on his interveiws where he's bout to rob a car.I always felt sorry for Virgil cuz he was pointless. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Those were some real gimmicky wrestlers there, don't forget Tugboat, Corporal Kirschner, Outback Jack and Papa Shango. You know, the WWF tried real hard with some colorful story lines, but it always seemed they took a step back with some of their ideas. Gimmicks like Terry "the Rooster" Taylor, and what they did to DDP making him look like a fool.
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One gimmicky wrestler that I liked was Leaping Lanny Poffo(Macho Man's brother). He was a good/entertaining "B" wrestler. Remember how he read poems to the crowd before his matches? Then he threw them to the audience on frisbees for souvenirs.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Leaping Lanny was funny, but he wasn't much of a star, more like a preliminary wrestler. Paul Roma was another prelim who looked like a star but wasn't used like that for some reason.
TRSMMaiden
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7789

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TRSMMaiden   Email TRSMMaiden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was brought up on WCW. It was the only wrestling we got on UK terrestrial TV when I was little. My Mum used to tape it for me because it was on late and we used to watch at weekends.

My favorite was Sting (still going in WWF Im pretty sure). Also used to love Cactus Jack because he was completely nuts and also loved Johnny B. Badd with his Tutti Frutti!

Posts: 13 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Hail to Sting( he never wrestled in WWE by the way). One of my favorites, Jimmy Snuka and the late, great Mr. Perfect too.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sting was on TNA he never wrestled in WWE.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Funny he never went for the big WWE dough, guess he had some integrity too him. Always loved his mic skills and high flying wrestling ability.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sting was so great the he had to be introduced differently: "THIS IS STING!"
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
He referred to himself as the Stinger in interviews. Such a bro. Can't believe he and Ultimate Warrior started out together as a tag team.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember that weird azz "Crow" phase Sting went through where he'd appear in the rafters during various matches with a baseball bat lmao?
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I liked that image for Sting
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home