iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » WWF or WCW? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WWF or WCW?
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having seen 'The Wrestler' (good movie) last month, it reminded me of my youth and being a wrestling fan. Yes it was fake, and perhaps even stupid, but you can't fault the WWF & WCW for being quality, albeit mindless, entertainment in the 80s and early 90s.

I always thought the heels were more entertaining than the faces

Favourite WWF wrestlers: Bret Hart (more so when he was a heel in 'The Hart Foundation') Hulk Hogan, Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Sean Waltman.

Commentators: Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan

Managers: Sensational Sherri, Miss Elizabeth

Memorable matches: The Greatest Muhammed Ali referring the tag team bout with Hulk Hogan & Mr T. vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper & Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff at Wrestlemania I

Sensational Sherri vs. Rockin' Robin feud; these girls fought in MSG to Paris and back again.

Favourite WCW wrestlers: Ravishing Rick Rude, Sting, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger.

Commentators: Jesse Ventura, Jim Ross

Managers, Valets: Woman, Madusa

Memorable matches: Rick Rude vs. Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat feud for the U.S. belt, Rick Rude winning the Nintendo Top Ten Challenge, Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair retirement cage match.

[ 21. February 2009, 08:26: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we use to watch the wwf wrestling i never did like the wcw i thought it was alot more fake and dumber compared to the wwf my fave's were hulk hogan, rowdy rodney piper, and randy savage once they were gone we stopped watching it lol
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love the WWF as a kid...stopped watching somewhere around Wrestlemania 4. Love seeing Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, George the Animal Steel, Jake the Snake Roberts, Andre the Giant, King Kong Bundy, Hillbilly Jim, Junk Yard Dog...and so many more. Loved loved loved Wrestlemania 1, 2, 3, 4.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF was almost always better as a whole compared to WCW with the exception of the NWO period. Although WWF did have some of the more stupider gimmicks. I always used to love to watch Georgia Championship Wrestling back in the late 70s early 80s. They used to wrestle in a TV studio with maybe 200 spectators max but the wrestling was good and the feuds seemed to last a lot longer than today's feuds which seem to end before they start.

I still watch WWE every week even today.

I've always been a bigger fan of the heels compared to the faces. The storylines would be much more boring without the heels.

I've always considered wrestling to be a soap opera in an athletic setting. Yes wrestling is fake as far as the outcomes are determined but these men abuse their bodies beyond belief on a continual basis. Unlike football, hockey, basketball and baseball there's no offseason in wrestling.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch as a kid...but I stopped watching somehwere in the middle of the whole WWF vs. WCW era..(when Hulk Hogan decided to play a Heel on WCW as Hollywood Hogan.)
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the NWA back in the day? I watched them both equally but the slight edge from the early 90s on would have to go to WWF for me. We got to meet Ric Flair at an Appalachian State football game in October 2007. He was there with his family as his daughter is a student there. Ric was really nice and approachable and we all got his autograph.......

Memorable Matches:

Ric Flair vs. Harley Race
Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard (I Quit Match)
Any Road Warrior Matches
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant
Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior

[ 21. February 2009, 13:02: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old school WWF was the best ever. I never missed it in the 80's. Stopped watching when I grew up, well, I mean got older. I still haven't grown up.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost interest in WWF since the Rock/Stone Cold era. I think current wrestling has been eclipsed by UFC.

Back in the day I loved WWF and NWO era Nitro/WCW. When they were going head to head it was real exciting. Due to my geographic location growing up(eastern canada), I didn't have exposure to the other regional stuff going on like World Class, Mid-South, Florida, Georgia etc. So been playing catch up trying to find that stuff. I loved the Road Warriors in the AWA, the Freebirds in World Class, etc. Most often wrestlers were really good and quite different in other promotions. before the WWF/Vince story lines hurt them like Dusty Rhodes, Kerry Von Erich, etc.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
Old school WWF was the best ever. I never missed it in the 80's. Stopped watching when I grew up, well, I mean got older. I still haven't grown up.

Ditto.... [Cool]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember watching Texas wrestling back in the day? I used to rush off the school bus to make it to watch it in time. They had like 20 wrestlers and 3/4 of them were Von Erichs.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got to see the Texas wrestling. Sad thing about the Von Erichs is that most of them have died already. I believe the father is still alive and one of the sons but it's either 3 or 4 of the other sons all have died; sorry can't remember how many kids there were in the family.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

OK I just checked on the Von Erich's in Wikipedia

quote:
Patriarch Fritz lived until his natural death, but 4 of his sons died before him within a 9-year span (as well as his eldest son who was electrocuted as a child). David died in 1984 under circumstances that were disputed for years, while Michael, Kerry, and Chris all committed suicide in subsequent years. Kevin Von Erich is the sole survivor of the Von Erich sons.

hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta be Old School WWF for me too. The Ultimate Warrior vs Macho Man match, when Macho Man and Elisabeth got back together at the end. That one of my Fav matches. [Big Grin]
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ Loves Takashi
Master Rewinder
Member # 7767

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EJ Loves Takashi   Email EJ Loves Takashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF was a staple at my house growing up. It was on in the morning I think on Sunday. But we would eat breakfast infront of the tv and watch. Then afterwards try the moves out on each other. Being the youngest, and easiest to throw...I sustained a few injuries! But it was always so much fun.
Posts: 155 | From: Today Indiana....probably tomorrow too actually! | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Kamala, don't know why. He certainly wasn't much of a wrestler.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

There used to be an old guy who lived about a mile away from me who built a real wrestling ring in his backyard. You can imagine he was quite the popular one with the neighborhood. That's where I received my first official piledriver and damn it really does hurt lol.........
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

It was pretty cool seeing Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat on Monday Night Raw last night. Even though he hasn't wresteld for quite sometime and was wearing a suit it appeared that he's kept himself in pretty good shape. Too bad I knew that once he came out and started talking that Chris Jericho would come out and kick his a$$.

Just want to say that I've met Jericho and he seems to be a pretty cool guy. I've also met Baron Von Raschke who was also a nice guy and who probably has the largest hands of anybody I've ever met.

hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I loved Kamala, don't know why. He certainly wasn't much of a wrestler.

Yeah Kamala was a rubbish wrestler but had a wicked mask [Smile] [Wink]
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my television and film professors had told us he'd been acquainted with Sergeant Slaughter at some point, and said he's actually a rather nice guy outside the ring.  My best actual memories of the sergeant come from the period during the first Gulf War when he and the Iron Sheik went Iraqi until the conflict wound down, when he switched back to a full blooded American till his retirement and ascension to the commissionership (or is that entirely a publicity position?). 
One guy I always did like that never got that much respect was Hacksaw Jim Duggan, who always seemed to be held back from the summit for whatever reason.  Anyone happen to know what he's up to these days?

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Hacksaw is still wrestling in the WWE
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
No offense, but couldn't stomach Hacksaw. Gimme Sting, Brody, Snuka, Bockwinkel, Steamboat, Flair any day.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Koko? He was another guy who never quite seemed to get enough respect.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Does Hacksaw still carry his trusty 2 by 4? I remember back in the 80s he and the Iron Sheik were supposedly having that big feud and a cop stopped them in the same car together smoking marijuana......
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have an old T-Shirt stashed away somewhere signed by The Bushwhackers.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I was never a fan of the Bushwackers or Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home