iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Name Brands you Miss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Name Brands you Miss
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about this from the topic about slinkies...and I was remembering all kinds of stuff from when I was a kid that they quit making.

Some of the things I remember are:

Funny Face drink mix (it was like Kool-Aid)-it had watermelon flavor and you could save the packages to send in for free plastic mugs of all the different flavors-they all had different funny faces.

Koogle-it was a mixture of peanutbutter and chocolate-my Grandpa use to put it on toast all the time.

McDonald's Special Sauce-they use to bottle it. Don't know why they quit...but McDonald's food is awful now anyway...but I use to love getting Happy Meals.

Marathon candy bars-They were caramel with chocolate they were twisted like a braid.

Betcha Life Candy bars and Summit Candy bars

Bravos- they were like Doritos but round.

Get Your Hair Smells Terrific, Prell, Breck, Body on Tap shampoo

Tickle-deodorant

Pepsi in a glass bottle-I think the taste of pop has changed so much because they rarely put pop in a bottle any more.

Wacky Wafers -I loved the banana flavored ones.

I miss all the designer jeans and the styles: Sergio Valente, Zena, Chic, Jordache, Sassoon,
and I miss baggy bibs and carpenter style Lee Jeans.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a candy store in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1.5 hours from where I live, called the "Lunch Box". They have tons and tons of the old candy from the 70's and 80's in the original packaging...bottle caps, the little bag of yellow gum that looks like gold nuggets, treasure chests (candy in the little plastic treasure chest), and tons of other stuff. I really like seeing this stuff...cool memories. And ISIS, you mentioned Pepsi in the glass bottle. I'm from Canada and oddly enough, one of our provinces (Prince Edward Island - PEI) continued to sell pop only in the glass bottles...the same shaped bottles we used to get as kids...there was literally no plastic of cans. I used to love going there just for the Pepsi...I'd usually take a case home. Sadly, less than a year agao...they all of a sudden stopped...converted to plastic and cans like everyone else. Another cool thing to do is check out the vintage Sears Wish Books from the 70's and 80's......cool blast from the past.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they still made Prell and Breck? I'll have to look in the store next time I go. Prell was awful for your hair anyway. I remember the Breck commercials. The reason Pepsi tastes different is they use high fructose corn syrup instead of real sugar now. The only soda I know of that is still made with sugar is Jones Soda- at least that is the only one available in this area. I heard that people buy up huge quantities of Coke that is brought into certain towns in Texas and California from Mexico. They still make the Coke with real sugar in Mexico. I have some of the Funny Face mugs somewhere amongst my stuff. My favorite drink was Hawaiian Punch- I don't drink those sugary drinks any more. I don't want to gain extra weight from drinking something like that- I'd rather eat some good food!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, you're right about soft drink tasting different in different containers. My friends and I have often discussed (like, we're the UN haha) that Coke tastes different in a plastic bottle than it does in a glass bottle, and that it tastes best in a can, preferably one that's been in the freezer for an hour.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like how any pop tastes in a plastic bottle. I always think that it has a weird smell when you crack the seal on a plastic bottle ...to me it smells like cigarette smoke-and I have no idea why.

They started putting Coke in glass bottles again-allthough it is hard to find it. But we use to get those tall glass bottles of Pepsi, and we took the bottles in-to recycle them....so I never understood why they quit doing glass...it is as easily recycled as aluminum. The only draw back... I think, is people throwing them out the windows and getting broken glass all over the place.

Prell was bad for your hair....it stripped it...but I still remember it well.

I remember associating it with my Grandparents.

My grandma always used Bonnie Bell to clean her face.

I remember Sea Breeze and Buff Puffs...

I do associate alot of memories to name brands.

Like Kraft Spaghetti...or Kraft Mac and Cheese, or Skippy peanut butter, or Peter Pan Crunchy Peanutbutter.

Manwich sloppy joes, Swiss Miss chocolate pudding, Lipton Cup of Noodle soup, Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

There are still alot of the same brands around, but I am not so crazy about some of the stuff any more. I still like Little Debbie's oatmeal pies.

I use to love Hubba Bubba gum, Freshen Up gum, and Bubbalicious.

Bottlecaps, lemonheads, grapeheads, sixlets, astro pops, sour balls, Brach's Bridge Mix, Bazooka gum, Bit O'Honeys, Sugar Daddys, Black Cows, Swedish Fish, Boston Baked Beans, and
Candy Lipsticks.

I remember going to 3 different little stores, that were pretty much only candy stores, with a few groceries...that were being run by old ladies-out of their homes. One of them I stopped at every day after school, and I use to get a banana popsicle in the summer.

The other place was along my paper route, and I would get a 1.00 worth of those penny candy-the buttons...and fish....and me and my dog would eat them as we walked along delivering newspapers.

I can remember every single section of the counter where each candy was.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still see Prell sometimes, but it's been awhile since I've seen any Breck, at least around here. My dad always talks about Marathon candy bars--I never had them, though. I did like Bar Nones--remember when Hershey's made those? Didn't Tostitos used to make a Doritos-type chip, but it was round? They were really good. And remember Keebler O'Boises chips? Those were awesome too. I haven't seen them since my college days.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the jeans ZCavarici and Zena.

What is a Black Cow?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
They were like a Sugar Daddy dipped in chocolate.

[ 10. November 2008, 15:47: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several dead cereals were quite good, namely Ice Cream Cones, Circus Fun, and the Pac-Man cereal.

Mr. Donut's disappearence I do regret; they usually put together a good variety--especially with their Boston cremes--and certainly had a pretty good jingle to boot ("Hey Mister that a Mr. Donut doooooooooonut.").

Of candies, I miss Bonkers (more good advertising with the giant fruit falling) and Alpine White, and I wish Krackel would get a larger base these days.

And while I have never drank any beer in my life and never intend to, you do feel sorry a little for brands that were reasonably strong in the 80s but have since faultered and sometimes vanished, such as Stroh's (what's Alex the dog going to drink now?), Pabst, Schmidt's, and at least in North America Lowenbrau (although since I'm told that the North American version was basically watered down from the German original, maybe it's not that big a loss).

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Part of Chris the CandyFanMan's post:

And while I have never drank any beer in my life and never intend to, you do feel sorry a little for brands that were reasonably strong in the 80s but have since faultered and sometimes vanished, such as Schmidt's

No loss with this one....we had a little saying about this beer back in the day...."Schmidt's gives you the sh*ts." [Big Grin]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I remember the cute commercials for stuff...and I don't understand what happened with advertising.

I was think of the Jolly Green Gaint and Sprout-when I was watching the Incredible Hulk, and thought about how cute those commercials were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8fhP1cVzBw&feature=related

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
...[snip]...Get Your Hair Smells Terrific, Prell, Breck, Body on Tap shampoo...

I remember a Prell commercial. I believe they were trying to advertise how "thick" the shampoo was, so they dropped a marble or a pearl into the bottle, and you watched it go s-l-o-w-l-y down the bottom.

There was also another shampoo commercial where an actress, says that she liked it so much she "told two friends. And they told two friends. And so on...and so on...and so on." And you'd see several split-screens. What brand was that?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still miss the cereal Nut N' Honey.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
I still miss the cereal Nut N' Honey.

I miss the cereals Smores Crunch and Waffleos.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch Groover:
Isis, you're right about soft drink tasting different in different containers. My friends and I have often discussed (like, we're the UN haha) that Coke tastes different in a plastic bottle than it does in a glass bottle, and that it tastes best in a can, preferably one that's been in the freezer for an hour.

I totally agree on this one. Especially when it comes to Coca Cola.

I don’t know what it’s like in other places, but here they stopped printing the big Coke logo on the side of bottles and cans. I don't even know when this happened.

-

Anyway,… I really miss that old look.
Now it’s only printed very small on the top of the can, right above the ingredients.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind seeing Pepsi come out with some retro red, white and blue cans with the white background. Their vanilla flavoured soft drink was better tasting than the Coke version, they should bring that back. Would like to see Tab back again to remember what it tastes like. They have a cherry flavoured energy drink that's Tab which is good, but would like to remember how the original tasted. Also would love the original Mountain Dew taste back, it was my favorite drink in the 80's and early 90's, then they tinkered with the formula and I've never gone back since.

McDonalds Pizza-I used to like it back in the day, the crust was different tasting more herb flavoured.

Applejacks cereal-My favorite when I was younger, wish I could find some.

I was asking my mom about this, but in the 70's I remember the potato chips were in this blue cardboard box, would love to lnow the name brand of this. If someone knows, please give me a holla.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide,

Dude they still sell Applejacks in the stores...

Are you thinking about Jay's potato chips? They used to come in a box...
http://www.jaysfoods.com/

[ 12. December 2008, 12:05: Message edited by: jdocster ]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still sell Applejacks? Not here. You guys get all the perks. LOL.

Will have to check Jay's chips, they still make Drake's cakes? Your US food stocks and abundance of brands have always put us to shame.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they still make Drakes cakes...

Yup they do... I used to LOVE the devil dogs.

Here you go, they ship worldwide!
http://www.drakescakesonline.com/

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Kellogg's Raisin Splitz. Anyone remember them?

Raisin Splitz

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Lay's Italian Cheese potato chips. They were yummy.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Chocodiles!!! My favorite. I can still get them online from the west coast, but they are expensive as heck! They don't sell them on the east coast anymore.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey pettyfan, those chips sound really yummy. What kind of cheese was on them? I loves me cheese on anything, I am a cheeseaholic! I don't eat chips that often, but I dolove a good flavored chip. In college, my boyfriend and I would scarf down those Old Bay Seasoning flavored chips, and then my lips would pay the price the next day.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Hey pettyfan, those chips sound really yummy. What kind of cheese was on them? I loves me cheese on anything, I am a cheeseaholic! I don't eat chips that often, but I dolove a good flavored chip. In college, my boyfriend and I would scarf down those Old Bay Seasoning flavored chips, and then my lips would pay the price the next day.

I really don't remember...I think it was a combination of cheeses. The chips were the color of a cheddar and sour cream chip, only not quite as orange.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home