iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » The 80's Ninja/martial arts experience.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 80's Ninja/martial arts experience.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you but I went a little gaga for martial arts, particularly the Ninja. I think it came down to those Sho Kosugi movies (Enter and Revenge of the Ninja(, ad his recurring role on Lee Van Cleef's the Master. Even GIJOE had the Storm Shadow warrior chacracter. Probably my worst excess of this period was getting my aunt to make me a Ninja hood with her seamstress skills and evn going as far as making shurikens from the top of tin cans by indenting trinagles with the opener around the tin. Karate kid was coming on strong, I even bought some Kung-Fu and Ninjutsu books.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Revenge of the Ninja" was the best of the Sam Firstenberg Ninja flicks in my opinion. Though Lucinda Dlckey was wicked in "Ninja 3: The Domination".....you might want to think twice about a dip in the jacuzzi after that one.

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also loved martial arts movies back in the day. Bruce Lee flicks are awesome. The fight sequences are so entertaining.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a true ninja movie, but, there is this great old karate flick that i used to see all the time as a kid during Drive In Theater called "Shaolin Challenges Ninja" that i've always loved. one of the great movies in the vain of "5 Deadly Venoms" and "The Kid With the Golden Arm".

http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Challenges-Ninja-Hong-Yip-Cheng/dp/B00005KH3D/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IDX7TKSROF0AK&colid=2FZD5Z10FNY3M

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that Ninja III - The Domination is really something else.
Ultracool stuff [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Of course we played ninjas after watching
Revenge of the Ninja multiple times as a kid.
Self made ninja stars flying everywhere [Razz]

So many ninja movies came in the 80s.
One of the first ninjas i remember was in the
Chuck Norris movie The Octagon.
A classic i say, but not everyone´s cup of tea.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked these type of movies in the 80’s, though they look a bit silly now.

BTW I never understood the difference between a Ninja or a Ronin. In the series ‘Shogun’ these so called Ronin looked and acted exactly the same as Ninja’s.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Ronin is a masterless Samurai! A Ninja is an assassin!

Both had low social rank in feudal society, so a Ronin could very well take up work as a Ninja to earn a living. Although the honorable thing to do for a Ronin, would be to commit seppuku, when his master died.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Domo arigatou for the explanation JAYLEE.

I suppose the Ronin in Shogun were employed as Ninja’s then.
All fascinating stuff nonetheless.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you guys think of "The Last Samurai" with Cruise? I loved it.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Ninja 3-The Domination.

I bought my brother a Ninja pajama set for Christmas, when I was a senior in high school...It had a head band and everything...I have pictures of him hugging me to death...he LOVED ninja stuff....he had those ninja stars, and the nunchaucks (not sure I got the spelling right on that one).

Bionic Bigfoot sent me episodes of an 80's TV show called "The Master"...it was pretty cool.

For some reason, I think I remember there being some kind of Ninja people in the movie "The Beastmaster".

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd_Dobler
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7119

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lloyd_Dobler   Email Lloyd_Dobler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my best friend in 8th grade planned to go to Stephen Hayes' ninja school in Ohio when we graduated. We were gonna be full time ninjas and go around the world getting into adventures.
Posts: 64 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved all of the 80s martial arts movies... I've since learned a lot about the ninja and it's a far different story than hollywood would have you belive.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by halekido:
Me and my best friend in 8th grade planned to go to Stephen Hayes' ninja school in Ohio when we graduated. We were gonna be full time ninjas and go around the world getting into adventures.

Mr. Hayes still now teaches To-Shin Do. It's a modified version that encompasses "modern-day" techniques.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home