iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » 1983-HBO Intro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1983-HBO Intro
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I see this and hear the music...it gives me goosebumps and I get a queasey feeling in my stomach...it is so nostalgic for me...I remember getting so excited to watch whatever was coming on after it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NKoMNy5bY

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd_Dobler
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7119

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lloyd_Dobler   Email Lloyd_Dobler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, that was cool! Totally brings back memories! Thank you very much for that.
Posts: 64 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had cable until, get ready for this, 1986. I had to watch the good shows at my friend's houses.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Welcome- [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is probablly the best introduction ever to remember. I totally remember getting all excited about it when it would come on because it was in anticipation that a great movie was about to come on at 7:00. It wouldn't break my heart one little bit if HBO would use that again, especially if they used it to introduce 80s movies.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that intro is great.

and i remember watching the "making of..." the intro and how cool i thought that whole process was.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite so. If by some twist of luck they saved the city--or even a piece of it--I'm buying it no matter what the price. For I agree wholeheartedly with all, this is the epitomal TV intro, period. If I ever do manage to get a script sold and made, it is my avowed intention to clear the rights with Warners and the network to run it in full and remastered before the feature at the premiere to get everyone in the mood.

Rumor has it that the network might be working on an updated CGI version of this. I haven't heard anything in a while, but believe me I'm listening with full ears.

An interesting side note, when HBO used its "Outer Space" Next On/Tonight On bumpers from about late 1986-late 1988 (my favorite of these bumpers, although the "Dangerous Diamonds" bumpers used immediately prior from mid 1985-late 1986 would be a close second; I could devote a whole thread to those if anyone's game), I used to pretend that these shots of the coming features were being shown from inside the big HBO monolith, looking out into the section of space it's zooming through; further, that towards the end of the bumper, the camera would pull back to reveal Doc, Sprocket and the Fraggles at the controls, and they'd proceed to "host" the intermovie breaks (naturally, Boober found nothing likeable about any shows or films and wondered why anyone else would).

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE THIS!
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stix33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3861

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for stix33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. In the other thread about Fraggle Rock, it made me think about the HBO intro. Crazy the things we remember!
Posts: 73 | From: Kansas. The O.Z. | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now the intro for Fraggle Rock was a little different than the version at the top of this thread, I recall; a different, more uplifting arrangement played once we zapped inside the O (as was for all programs under the "HBO Family Showcase" umbrella). Also this file shown here is a rather rare one; to my memory I've never seen the kids in the live action footage before, it had only been the parents in the footage I recall (I once thought I'd seen an old man turning on the TV as well, but I think that's just my mind).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
if you build it
Rewind Curious
Member # 7228

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for if you build it   Email if you build it   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
that intro is great.

and i remember watching the "making of..." the intro and how cool i thought that whole process was.

I remember watching the making of as well. That is amazing the things that are imprinted on our minds. What's really funny is I sometimes have trouble remembering what I watched last month, but I can remember with some clarity things 25 years ago! Crazy!
Posts: 6 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Several people have posted the Making of documentary on YouTube for any who care to revisit that (type in "HBO intro behind the scenes" for it).

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home