iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Choose Your Own Adventure Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choose Your Own Adventure Books
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody remember these? I dunno if it's an 80s thing or not(do they still make them) but I was addicted to them as a kid. You'd basically read and at the end you'd have several scenarios after which it told what page to turn to to correspond with your choice of how to continue the story.....

[ 10. July 2008, 21:19: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do still make them. What I liked were the ones that strayed away from the stock 'dungeons and dragons' theme into other scenarios - I still have a sci-fi space exploration one and a WW2 themed one....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The Case of the Silk King', 'Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey'. Man, thinking about those books reeeeally takes me back!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a couple of those books. I always chose the crappy path and wound up dying or being unable to continue. I'd like to find some of them to put on my classroom shelf.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd always choose a path, get about 2 pages into it, and go back and read the other path...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember these books very well. I'm currently collecting them.

http://www.cyoa.com/

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bunch of these books...i loved em
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember that we had similiar books.
In fact i´m sure that the books still are here somewhere...

So my next adventure is to find them [Smile]

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember these books very well and only read some of them at school as there were better ones written by steve jackson in a series called Fighting fantasy. You create your characters strength skill stamina ans attack and defence strength and then you begin your adventure just like choose your own adventure series. This was more interesting as you could fight chracters, monsters, aliens, werewolfs, vampiers, warlocks, wizards and other mythical beasts. If you have children and have not played these yourself then i suggest you invest in a couple. I started reading them at age 11 and my dad loved them too so i found one time when i came home that he had photocopied the chracter sheet from the book and was playing/reading them too. my first was called The citadel of Chaos. check em out if you have kids aged 10-16 or a teacher like me and want your kids to get involved in reading. Awsome stuff...willys two thumbs up.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
'i remember these books very well and only read some of them at school as there were better ones written by steve jackson in a series called Fighting fantasy.
Yessss! I knew there was another version of 'Choose Your Own Adventure'!

I seem to recall CYOA was more for younger kids and the FF series was for the slightly older kids.

Incidentally; the first 30 CYOA's just went for $90 on ebay.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah willy, these are the books i was talking about.
I remember The Forest of Doom, City of Thieves and the first one The Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

Good stuff!

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Incidentally; the first 30 CYOA's just went for $90 on ebay.
WOW...$3 each book huh. Well worth it having the first 30...there were hundreds made i think.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really remember reading the "Choose your.." books, but I still have a few copies of the Fighting Fantasy books lying around. Some of my favourites:

-  -  -

Deathtrap Dungeon was even turned into a computer game:

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also a series of adventure game books based around 'Asterix'

I had this one:

-  -

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
While we're at it; 'The Famous Five' also had adventure gamebooks made. They came with a map, die, and lots of other goodies.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Gamebooks in the 21st Century:

http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/

-  -

One that I didn't play through at the time -

-
5 mins pass
 -
[Frown]
..Some things never change [Smile]

The additional music and sound effects really add to the experience. This is a great way for the kids of today to discover the Fighting Fantasy series, and also gamebooks in general.

-

[ 18. January 2016, 11:40: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up with the Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone books. Our primary school library had almost all of them. I only ever owned House of Hell and Spectral Stalkers.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37378

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Alien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if the, "Fighting Fantasy" books were ever available in the US. I don't remember seeing them, but they would have been something I'd have enjoyed as a child.
Posts: 21 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jun 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved these books. I am trying to rack my brain right now wondering if mine still exist in storage. I don't see mine listed here. Gonna do some research.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
An alternative to FF:

-

"Lone Wolf is a series of 28 gamebooks, created by Joe Dever and initially illustrated (books 1-8) by Gary Chalk. The series began publishing in July 1984 and sold more than 9 million copies worldwide. The story focuses on the fictional world of Magnamund, where the forces of good and evil fight for control of the planet. The protagonist is Lone Wolf, last of his caste of warrior monks known as Kai Lords. The book series is written in the second person and recounts Lone Wolf's adventures as if the reader is the main character. As Lone Wolf, the reader makes choices at regular intervals throughout the story which then change the course, and the final outcome, of the book."

"Although the series ceased publication and went out of print in 1998, a fan-operated organisation called Project Aon was established in 1999 which has subsequently converted many of the books to HTML format. Joe Dever gave his permission for Project Aon to distribute the books online via the internet. Subsequently, there has been a strong revival of interest in Lone Wolf, particularly in Italy, Spain, and France where the books were republished between 2002 and 2006."

Project Aon

-

I'd completely forgotten about this series.

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to read these "Choose your own adventure" books in the early - mid '80's (elementary/middle school). Fairly cool for kids (at the time).
Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Choose Your Own Adventure" series the precursor to text-based computer adventure games, which were the precursors to actual graphic computer games... Quaint but cool!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home