iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » How do your kids respond to 80's stuff?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do your kids respond to 80's stuff?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now and again I will see something that will surprise me, the other day I saw this young girl with a ripped Billy Idol shirt and kind of new wavish hair, I'm figuring she must have been born in the 90's. I just find it kind of interesting when you see different generations of kids responding the decade you grew up in. Maybe the nostalgia bug kicks in more attractively now, because I could recall 10-15 years ago, kind not getting an enthusiastic response from some of my friends with the 80's related stuff I was interested in.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,i have always been playing a lot of 80`s music for my 15 year old son.And he actually likes it a lot.He has an impressive 80`s collection on his ipod,along with more new stuff like Nightwish,Korn etc..

The other weekend the video shack was closed,and he was very disappointed.Desperately trying to save the Saturday evening and the weekend(i am a weekend daddy) i put on Sixteen Candles.He was laughing from the start to the end [Big Grin] claiming that was one of the funniest movies ever.
You just got to love the 80`s

[ 19. June 2008, 17:33: Message edited by: bandit ]

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tempted to break out my Choose Life tshirt and see what response I get...
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is 9 so a lot of it is hot-and-miss. She LOVES the movies WEIRD SCIENCE and JUST ONE OF THE GUYS but then there are other movies I put on and she runs out of the room (She had an absolute hissy when I tryed to get her to watch GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN)

I have been playing 80s movie since she was in the womb so she knows all the songs and likes most of them. Its funny- a LOT of these songs have made come-backs over the past few years (Examples: ALY & AJ have covered Walking On Sunshine, AARON CARTER has done a version of I WANT CANDY, RIHANNA samples everything from NEW ORDER to 80s MICHAEL JACKSON)

As far as TV shows she's a huge fan of DEGRASSI JUNIOR HIGH (I have bought the first two seasons of FACTS OF LIFE and plan to show her that pretty soon).

Fashion-wise she HATES the 80s look.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am kicking myself over giving away an original Billy Idol Whiplash Smile T-shirt to a cute girl, five years younger than me, right before I met my wife, Tawny. I wish I had kept that sucker. Kids these days do enjoy wearing out good 'vintage' rock T-shirts.

Still, I have the biggest collection of rock Tees on my block. Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Ramones, Led Zeppelin,... You name it! My stepson Joey is impressed, and he has his own burgeoning rock shirt collection.

Joey is such a cool guy. He is 11 years old, just the right age to enjoy classics like The Goonies, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Silver Bullet, Wayne's World...

He is an honorary child of the '80s.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kid loves everything from the 80's...especially music...he wears preppy shirts and these palm tree type shirts (that look like they are from Miami Vice)...and he loves concert t-shirts...His Van Halen T-shirt is his favorite, but he wears lots of concert shirts...he loves Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Journey, Huey Lewis, and Reo Speedwagon. He is learning to play Van Halen's version of "Pretty Woman" for my birthday party this year.

He loves 80's movies....his favorite movies are Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, The Terminator, Commando, First Blood, and he loves Clint Eastwood.

He and I still play Pac-Man on his game system.
We still play Galaga and Frogger too.

He loves the TV shows of the 70's and 80's. Right now we just finished Season 2 of Soap, and now we are watching Season 1 of Benson, and I just ordered Season 2 of CHiPs. So we still feel like we are in the 70's and 80's, and it is such a good thing, because he doesn't get all that exposure to all the crazy reality stuff on tv now.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool beans! I like that the 80s stuff is hip-retro again! I see a lot of younger people wearing 80s shirts these days.

Here's a good site for 80s tees. It's called, 80s tees... Duh... =)
http://www.80stees.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Stitch Groover:
I'm tempted to break out my Choose Life tshirt and see what response I get...

That's funny... [Smile]

80s forever! until the 90s becomes retro... Doh! [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home