iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » favorite 80s athlete (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: favorite 80s athlete
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspired by the thread asking the best 80s sports movie, I must ask you the board members who your favorite athletes were if you followed organized sports during any part of the decade. For yours truly, it's definitely Running Randall Cunningham, the Ultimate Weapon, and a whole bunch of other titles I can't quite remember at the moment. When he was at his peak, you just knew something magical was going to happen every time he had the ball in his hands, whether it would be unleashing a long one or running right past the defense just as they thought they had him, or even when punting it in the clutch. He just had the poise and confidence you want a leader to have--even if he was a West Coast type trying to make it in a blue collar East Coast town that I'll admit was too hard on him anyway, and was never pushed as hard by Buddy Ryan as he probably should have to study game films--and could run up the number that even made the analysts aghast (even after the fog rolled into Chicago in 1988, he still threw for close to 500 yards. Yes, 500). That no titles came his way is definitely a deep disappointment that lingers today (ask any member of those great Eagle teams, and they'll tell you they'd felt 1991 would have been their year to win it all if Green Bay hadn't knocked Randall out for the year on the first drive of the first game. Ditto 2 years later when they'd started 5-0 and the Bears effectively took away his last chance). That Canton isn't giving him serious consideration to date is equally upsetting, because he earned it fair and square. But even if they don't, somewhere he can rest easy knowing he'll always be #1 in my heart.

But enough about me. What about yours?

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walter Payton. May he rest in peace.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Chris' post on Randall Cunningham:
quote:
...That no titles came his way is definitely a deep disappointment that lingers today (ask any member of those great Eagle teams, and they'll tell you they'd felt 1991 would have been their year to win it all if Green Bay hadn't knocked Randall out for the year on the first drive of the first game. Ditto two years later when they'd started 5-0 and the Bears effectively took away his last chance). That Canton isn't giving him serious consideration to date is equally upsetting, because he earned it fair and square...
Even though I'm a San Francisco 49ers fan (and I truly loved them back in the 80's!), I largely agree with you that Randall was a legitimate offensive threat and entertaining to watch. He could've been ranked among the truly all-time great quarterbacks, if he had only made it to a Super Bowl and stayed away from injuries.

The closest he came to a Super Bowl was during the 1999-2000 season with the Minnesota Vikings. After he was out of football for a few years, he had a great comeback season, led the Vikes to an impressive 15-1 record, and came within only one game of making it to the big game. At the time, I was pulling for Randall and the Vikes to go all the way that year, but a big upset home loss in overtime to the Atlanta Falcons dashed those hopes. I remember thinking, right after the game ended, that would be the biggest and his last shot at a Super Bowl ring, and his chances for a Hall of Fame induction will probably take a hit.

Randall still might make the HoF, but he is going to need an outside campaign going to gather support for his chances.

Randall is now a born-again Christian, and runs a ministry in the Las Vegas area.

BTW, I still remember his "jerri-curl" look back in the mid-80's! I thought he was trying to imitate Prince! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirby Puckett will always be my favourite. May he too rest in peace.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will the Thrill #22, THE NUESCHELER!
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ric flair
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Tyson - My favourite boxer ever. The quality of boxers he was knocking out in the 80's was incredible. It makes todays heavyweight catagory look a joke. In my opinion during the mid to late 80's he would have beaten all the greats(Ali, Marciano, Louis etc). Its just a shame it was all down hill from there. It annoyed me when he fought Lennox Lewis because Tyson was a broken men. Tyson in his prime would have took Lewis out inside 2 rounds without even breaking a sweat!!!
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hewzy:
Mike Tyson - My favourite boxer ever. The quality of boxers he was knocking out in the 80's was incredible. It makes todays heavyweight catagory look a joke. In my opinion during the mid to late 80's he would have beaten all the greats(Ali, Marciano, Louis etc). Its just a shame it was all down hill from there. It annoyed me when he fought Lennox Lewis because Tyson was a broken men. Tyson in his prime would have took Lewis out inside 2 rounds without even breaking a sweat!!!

Amen... [Wink]

-

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walter Payton (a player not afraid to take a hit) and Jerry Rice.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don Mattingly. My favorite Yankee of all time.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Brett, best Kansas City Royal of all time.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by imawalkingcorpse:
George Brett, best Kansas City Royal of all time.

Yup!
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That picture of Mike Tyson reminds me of the Incredible Hulk actor, Lou Ferrigno! Now, that would be a fight worth paying to see. Tyson Vs. Ferrigno.
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Horned King wrote, in part:
quote:
....Now, that would be a fight worth paying to see: Tyson Vs. Ferrigno.
Let's see if Tyson will bite Ferrigno's ear off! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he did, then Ferrigno would likely return the favor with his entire head.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My actual favorite is James Wilder, 2nd best Buccaneers running back of all time.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam Brady..

..The 2nd greatest Irish Football(Soccer) player of all time, after George Best, of course.

IMO, He is still the greatest player to ever pull on the shirt of Arsenal Football Club.

For the benefit of our American cousins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Brady

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_Football_Club

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
What do our Brit friends think of Beckham? Is he the best modern day football (soccer) player?
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:
What do our Brit friends think of Beckham? Is he the best modern day football (soccer) player?

In his prime, he was definitely in the top 10. Now, he's past it I'm afraid. Capello needs to build a team without Beckham and start utilising Lennon more in my opinion.

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joker:
ric flair

Bret Hart would like a word...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hewzy:
Mike Tyson ...

Totally agree with that.

But if I can pick just one, it’ll be Diego Armando Maradona.
Nevertheless, it seems I have a weak spot for the bad boys of sport. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HornedKing-Did you see my picture of me and Lou Ferrigno..on the 70's site? I just met him just a few weeks ago. He is 57 years old, and he looks awesome. I just watched the pilot episode of the TV show The Incredible Hulk....it's hard to believe that was 30 years ago, and Lou still looks fantastic.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyson, Carl Lewis and Daley Thompson.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Giuseppe bBattaglia
Rewind Curious
Member # 7139

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Giuseppe bBattaglia   Author's Homepage   Email Giuseppe bBattaglia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diego Armando maradona, the best fotballer ever!
Posts: 6 | From: Italy | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale Murphy #3 Atlanta Braves and Mary Lou Retton
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home