iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Playground/Swimming games

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Playground/Swimming games
sheena
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5620

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for sheena   Email sheena   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my friend were spending the day at the park, and we saw these kids running around playing tag. it made me think of all the childhood running and swimming games that I used to play. My favorite games were:
1) Tag
2) Manhunt
3)British bulldogs
4) Sharks and minnows( we called it Shark in the water)
5) Marco/Polo

At home when we had sleepover parties, Murder in the dark was always my favorite game to play.

Which games did you frequently play growing up?

Posts: 56 | From: London,UK | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is murder in the dark?? Haven't ever heard of that one.

I totally remember Marco/Polo and Tag. It is amazing that games last through the times the way that they do. I think it helps kids with developing their imagination. It is too bad that there are so many video games and stuff now that really can hinder a child's development. Don't get me know, it is good in developmental skills and coordination.

We used to play hide and seek a lot too.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murder In The Dark was when a group of you were together in a dark room (get it so far?!). One of the group is a 'murderer' and one is a 'detective who needs to identify the murderer. The job of the murderer is to kill off the other people before being identified, by touching them.

Obviously it works better if you have more than three people in the group......... [Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheena
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5620

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for sheena   Email sheena   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Paul, that is how the game is played. I take it you were a fan?
There is another simpler version of the game where the group has to draw names from a bag, where it states if they are the murderer or victims(no detective character involved) then the lights go out and the murderder starts "killing " people by touch, then the victims who have not died turns on the light and guesses who the murderer is.

Posts: 56 | From: London,UK | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya'll wanna hear something sad? Some of us in the education system (myself NOT included) think tag should be banned. In fact, some schools have already banned it. I taught PE last year and my kids played different versions of it.

Did any of you ever play 'Red Light, Green Light?'

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
Did any of you ever play 'Red Light, Green Light?'

I assume you're not referring to Kerb-crawling?

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Paul. No that's not what I"m referring to!!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved red light, green light!! oh and red rover too! [Smile]

i didn't play swimming pool games but murder in the dark sounds like it would have been fun?? ..never heard of it though.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey pettyfan, i am curious... why is tag banned in some places??

i also used to play a form of tag, called flag war. 2 different teams ran towards each other, and you had to snag the flag belts off the other team, until there was one left.. they were the winner. that was a PE game we played, along with dodge ball. sometimes dodgeball was a bit harsh.. some kids stuck you pretty hard with the trench balls. [Frown]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

quote:
Originally posted by NowhereGirl:
hey pettyfan, i am curious... why is tag banned in some places??

i also used to play a form of tag, called flag war. 2 different teams ran towards each other, and you had to snag the flag belts off the other team, until there was one left.. they were the winner. that was a PE game we played, along with dodge ball. sometimes dodgeball was a bit harsh.. some kids stuck you pretty hard with the trench balls. [Frown]

It has to do with it being a "touchy, physical" sport. I guess they think kids have gotten hurt. I understand dodgeball being banned in schools, but not tag. You tag, you don't hit. But who knows??
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learn to swim or drown.....!
That was a good one the parents and teachers would play haha

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigawatt?

Member # 4796

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Gigawatt?   Email Gigawatt?   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sardines was a good one if you had a lot of people.
Also remember a variation on British Bulldog called Trip Bulldog. That didn't go down too well on the hard asphalt playgrounds and was unsurprisingly banned after a number of broken arms. Ahhh the memories . . . and the scars.

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home