iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Great Pumpkin turns 40

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great Pumpkin turns 40
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Friday's airing will be the big 4-0 for the other great Peanuts special. Kudos go to ABC for making it an annual airing again after CBS got sporadic with it the last decade or so they had the rights. What makes this so great? I think it says something about the power of deep, loving belief, even when everyone says your crazy to do so and keep coming back for more even when deep down you may have deepest doubts. Personal idolization and the emotional connection thereto is an interesting facet of human existance. Anyone here who closely monitors every activity follows their favorite athletic squad makes can vouch for this; even when the time is flat out terrible, or seem to be good enough but make the worst imaginable mistakes at the worst possible time (an agony I just went through the afternoon, but I'm not disclosing who and how--I have my pride) and do everything they can to show they don't deserve your respect, and yet we still keep coming back next time, hoping for a brighter tomorrow. Thus can be summed up wholly in Linus's quest for the Great Pumpkin; if you truly believe in the dream as he does with the Great Pumpkin, losing it won't be quite as bad if things go wrong (not wholly of course if you're a perfectionist like me, but anyway...), and you keep the hope through the pain. A hero, after all, will only truly die to you if you choose to let it die personally.

What are your Great Pumpkin memories?

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love not only It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown but all of the Peanuts holiday specials. I think there's an innocence about them, an innocence we don't see in movies and even cartoons in this day and age. I have the book as well, and I try to read it to my students every year.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is probablly the most classic cartoon for this time of year. I remember watching it when it would come on at likr 7:00 and it always seems to be on a Friday night. Every time I watch it it seems like I haven't seen it before. I am always finding something new out about it. It has been a good 10 years or more since I have even seen it. It is really a cartoon that I want to add to my son's collection of DVD's so it can become one of his favorites too.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cotter
Rewinder
Member # 5081

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Cotter   Author's Homepage   Email Cotter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep a wallpaper of it on my computer so I can remember to watch it this year! [Razz]
Posts: 42 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My second favorite PEAUNTS special, after the Christmas one.
Remember how excited you would get as a kid when Mom & Dad's show would end at that Special Presentation muisc would start and then The Peanuts special would start?! It owul be like "YESSSSS!"
And if you somehwo knew what night they were gonna play it you tryed not to forget: It was such a big deal for us before vcrs and cable..."Ooooh...the Charlie Brown Special is gonna be on tonight!"
I have a lot of them on VHS....but if I flip channels and catch one I already have I STILL watch it! There's something about finding out their on TV that makes me so happy.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cotter
Rewinder
Member # 5081

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Cotter   Author's Homepage   Email Cotter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not unusual... it's like when you listen to a song 50 times and get bored of it and then when you hear it on the radio you go nuts. And don't deny it, it happens to everyone!
Posts: 42 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
My second favorite PEAUNTS special, after the Christmas one.
Remember how excited you would get as a kid when Mom & Dad's show would end at that Special Presentation muisc would start and then The Peanuts special would start?! It owul be like "YESSSSS!"
And if you somehwo knew what night they were gonna play it you tryed not to forget: It was such a big deal for us before vcrs and cable..."Ooooh...the Charlie Brown Special is gonna be on tonight!"
I have a lot of them on VHS....but if I flip channels and catch one I already have I STILL watch it! There's something about finding out their on TV that makes me so happy.

I bought them about four or five years ago on VHS, the whole collection. But I watch them when they come on TV, too.

I watched last night, and it was just as wonderful as it was when I was a kid.

[ 28. October 2006, 10:26: Message edited by: pettyfan ]

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home