iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Has your opinion of past decades changed since the '80s?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has your opinion of past decades changed since the '80s?
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know how some people think the '80s are "old school" in recent years?

It never occured to me as a kid, but from what I've observed since, there were alot of teens in the '80s who thought the same about the '60s, for instance. Probably even moreso, just because so much had changed in the world as well as pop culture. I could see a 1971-born person at age 13 in 1984 thinking of Woodstock, hippies and the Vietnam War as a bazillion years ago, and that the music was lame, etc.

My question is, however you viewed the past at the time, do you still feel that way? Or have your tastes changed since then?

P.S. It's funny, but back then, I liked alot of '60s/early '70s stuff, as well as current things -- my parents listened to alot of different music, for instance, so it wasn't till I was older that I could tell it apart. As a 5 year old in 1987, I didn't know or care that the Beatles were already twenty years ago, LOL.

[ 12. March 2006, 21:25: Message edited by: Marty McFly ]

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not very decade oriented in thought. I mean I realize what decades most things are from but I don't really like or hate something because of the decade it's from. I like to judge things on a case by case scenario. I like something because I like it or I don't like it because I don't like it.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Right on. That's the way I've always been, too. Sure, I might talk slightly differntly about certain things around different people, but I could care less if something is "old", I'll like it if I like it, ya know? [Wink]

Perhaps this is because I got into pop culture-oriented stuff so early in life. When you're a kid (I mean, like under 10) you really do look at things with a certain innocence of only seeing something for what it really is, if that makes sense.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked every decade before the 80's. My mom played the 50's and 60's music, so I know every song word for word from that time period, and I remember even stuff my Grandma and Grandpa liked. I loved the 70's just as much as the 80's, I really wish more people posted about stuff from the 70's, but I guess only me and StevenHW really remember much about then. But, I loved Disco, I remember when my mom and her friend went to see Saturday Night Fever when it was actually playing at the theater. I remember her buying the soundtrack, and I loved it.

I loved it back then, and loved all the cool stuff we did, and that's what makes me miss it so much.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I always liked every decade before the 80's. My mom played the 50's and 60's music, so I know every song word for word from that time period, and I remember even stuff my Grandma and Grandpa liked. I loved the 70's just as much as the 80's, I really wish more people posted about stuff from the 70's, but I guess only me and StevenHW really remember much about then. But, I loved Disco, I remember when my mom and her friend went to see Saturday Night Fever when it was actually playing at the theater. I remember her buying the soundtrack, and I loved it.

I loved it back then, and loved all the cool stuff we did, and that's what makes me miss it so much.

That's cool. I even like the '50s too, and at times wish I could've lived it. The malt shop/Elvis/early teen rebellion era seemed like fun and very revolutionary for its time.

BTW, would you say you're more attached to your childhood or your teen years? I forget your age offhand, but since the '70s were more your childhood, do you look on them with more of a fondness and a desire to go back?

That's how I feel about the '80s and early '90s -- my childhood. Although I probably like 1997 more now than I did when it was actually going on (although being 15-16 will never be as "sentimental" as being 7 if you know what I mean)?

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a Teen from 1981-1988. I liked my teen years, but my favorite years as a kid I think were from the ages of 9-12. I LOVED Saturday morning cartoons, and I was a Tomboy then...I raced all the guys, and beat them all up..Haha. I was as strong as a boy was at that age, so I could out jump them, and out run them...all that stuff...well even now I am sure I could still do all that with certain guys, but mostly now I just out smart them. Haha.

But, I have loved every single year of my life, that's what is crazy I guess about me, I can't ever say for sure that I was ever unhappy really. Cause even if something was going on in my immediate family life, I had lots of friends and extended family around me that nothing was ever that bad.

I didn't like my mid to late 20's over any time period in my life.

When I see the Covergirl commercial Christie Brinkley is in right now, where she says...do I wish to be 25 again, and she says no way....I think ...is she nuts, even if you didn't like that time of your life, you at least have alot more of it to live again. I would go back in a heart beat if I could and relive the 70's all over again. I loved it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
^Haha, sounds like fun. If/when I ever had a girl competing against me, I'd let her win just 'cause I didn't want to feel like a bully, LOL.

At this point, I still see most of my teen years (1994-2001) as being a precursor to right now, but I'm starting to miss them, too.

More for personal experiences than the years themselves, though. I am kinda mad at myself for not enjoying them or soaking it in as much while they were actually going on. I attribute this to the fact that I was already more nostalgic/focused on the '80s at the time (when I was 15 in 1996 or '97, I already missed five years earlier).

I admit, overall my childhood was probably "happier" than my teen years, and I favored the pop culture, so that's a double whammy. However, looking back now, even some of the simple, mundane things I miss (i.e. daily school life, where I lived).

In the first half of the '90s, I had moments of sadness in my life around that time (i.e. grandparents dying, losing money/my parents and I having to move to smaller houses, mom and dad briefly separating), but I suppose that's just the cycle of life.

I'm trying to enjoy right now (even the stuff that s*cks, I'll probably miss in 2012 or 2015) as much as I can, so I don't have the same regrets down the road.

The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really. Ironically, the 90's were the best years of my life--I was born in '88. But I still think the 80's are cool--maybe even cooler than I used to think the 90's were! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by The Mouse Avenger:
Not really. Ironically, the 90's were the best years of my life--I was born in '88. But I still think the 80's are cool--maybe even cooler than I used to think the 90's were! [Big Grin]

Yeah, I'm into the '90s more now than when they were actually going on. Sure, I always liked alot of the TV shows and movies, and some songs too (though I always preferred '80s music!), but today they're more "special" to me since they're in the past.

BTW, even if some things in my life s*cked, overall it wasn't a bad time. Especially when I know what some other kids I knew were going through, I really can't complain.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home